Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Rusty. I was wondering what he meant. It went over my head. I think that is a change from a year ago. Meaning, a year ago when I was reading about the speedo healer, I don't think anyone had started using two at that time. But maybe I just didn't read that.

Is there a useful thread I can read up on that issue. I'm interested, because I'm always doing the math in my head to figure out my speed. I have a navi mounted between the bars, and it displays speed. But when exceeding the speed limit it turns red. And the red numbers are extremely difficult to read.

·
Administrator
18,223 Posts
ErikDK is the member that ran 2 SpeedoHealers.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I wound up finding his and other posts about it. Seems the pink wire can be by-passed / left alone to run the original signal. That's the way I would do it. The SH is now on my project list. Got to get the windshield and backrest first (both ordered). Until then, I will be doing the algebra. V = 0.91S + 0. Where V = velocity, and S = the speedometer reading.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have ordered the SpeedoHealer. I am thinking I'm going to cut the wire on the SpeedoHealer (the white wire I think), and then create a jumper inside the connectors to bridge the original speed signal wire straight through the connectors. Rather than cutting the wire at the ECM. I'm going to try this anyway.

I've got the Burgman top and front box Tupperware off the bike right now. I was trying to figure out what that extra wire was (I think I posted about it here). I didn't find out what it went to, but it was some kind of 12V power source wire, triggered by a relay. I just yanked the whole thing out. "No excess baggage," my grandmother used to say.

I think I'll wait and put all the Tupperware back on after installing the SpeedoHealer. Can't wait to get all 3 mods done (SH, Driver Backrest and ClearView Windshield). It's gonna be like a new bike!

7milesout

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Speedo Healer installed. The final adjustment number was -08.5%. It is accurate to my GPS, all the way to 75 mph. I've ran it to my Paw's house a couple times now and managed to average a skosh over 50 mpg. I ran it at 72 mph which is the top speed of my Honda Rebel 250. When I ride the Rebel on the interstate, I run it held at WOT, and average 72 mph. That's why I ran the Burgman at that same speed, to get an apples to apples mpg comparison. 56 mpg on the Rebel at WOT, and 50 mpg on the Burgman at the same 72 mph speed. I guess that's reasonable since the Burgman has more than 2.5 times the displacement and close to 3 times the power. And can carry a lot more cargo than the Rebel. The Rebel can only carry what I put in a backpack (on my back).

The next ride I take to my dad's house, I'm going to ride, "BURGMANS GONE WILD," style and see what kind of mpg I get. I'm going to run anywhere from 75 to 90 mph (whatever I feel like I can get away with), race any and all motorcycles that come along and want to act like they're superior. And I may also do a top speed pull once I get out to where there is very little traffic. Don't worry, my riding style will actually be, "BURGMANS GONE WILD … SAFELY." :) Said ride will constitute my low mpg number.

·
Premium Member
2,845 Posts
What’s a Henway ?

Reactions: dogboy

·
Registered
665 Posts
56 mpg on the Rebel at WOT, and 50 mpg on the Burgman at the same 72 mph speed. I guess that's reasonable since the Burgman has more than 2.5 times the displacement and close to 3 times the power
How many miles per year do you ride? At $2.00 per gallon (which is approximately the price of gas in Peachtree, GA), it will cost you $4.29 extra in fuel per 1,000 miles, i.e., essentially nothing. 10,000 miles on the Burgman will cost you a whopping $43 in extra gas. You probably spent more than twice that on the Speedo-Healer, so I don't understand the fixation on the fuel economy differential. Differences in MPG really don't matter. It's the actual fuel costs that matter...or don't.

More important, at least to me, is the range. With a 2.6 gallon capacity, the Rebel is good for fewer than 150 miles on tank at 56 MPG. Meanwhile, the Burgman, with a 4.0 gallon tank, could take you about 200 miles at 50 MPG, a third further. In the real world, that can matter a lot, especially if you do a lot of riding.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
2,845 Posts
Ohhhhh bout 2 pounds...
Winner Winner Feathered Dinner !

What’s most important to me is when riding the speed limit I still got some throttle up my sleeve.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
How many miles per year do you ride?
I ride MEEEEELIONS of miles per year. OK, ok. Not really. I'm fixated about the mpg difference because I have OCD. I agree with your assessment in that it is insignificant. But if I can get 1 mpg better, I might be saving, oh I don't know, less than a tree per year. Maybe I can save 2 tree limbs (birch) per year... I need something to hug. I'll hug the 2 birch tree limbs I save.

The range doesn't matter because my hiney can't handle much more than about 150 miles at a time. P.S. - I put 252.5 miles on one tank of gas on my Honda Rebel 250, one time (stock tank).

·
Registered
665 Posts
Look at it this way: Every errand (e.g., shopping) that you can do with the Burgman instead of your car/truck, but could not do on the Rebel, will save fuel.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Totally agree. I do look at it that way. I often take my product to the USPS and ship. The Burgman is a pleasure because it holds what I'm shipping easily. And I can get a fair amount of groceries into the Burgman. But I can't listen to music like I can on the Mark Levinson Reference Surround System like in my LS 460L. That is the best sounding system I've ever heard. The best aspect of that car. It's worth the fuel expense to listen to it. I also like to listen to the FlowMaster Super 40's on my Plymouth Scamp. The Burgman's wind noise is atrocious. But will soon be remedied when I receive my Clearview. I opted for the "barn door" size. There's advantages / disadvantages with every choice in life.

·
Registered
665 Posts
The windscreen will help, but you'll still get wind noise. I solved the noise problem with these. They're no Mark Levinson Reference Surround System but the improvement relative to no hearing protection is dramatic.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I wear wired earbuds. Their sound (when not riding) is fairly good. When 60+ mph on the Burgman, they're crap. I'll replace the windshield, and if they're still unacceptable I'll try those earbuds. My gripe is, no matter how gently I don my helmet, and post donning finagling to get them seated correctly, they still work their way out of an optimum position. And then I've snagged the wire a time or three and yanked them halfway out … very annoying.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Earbuds do not stay in very well, nor do they provide much sound insulation. These suckers fit tightly so they don't fall out easily, and are great insulators even if I'm not listening to anything. I had a wired set first, and they were great except for the fact that sometimes I'd forget to unplug when I dismounted and got the things yanked out of my years. The Bluetooth ones eliminated those embarrassing episodes.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Just got an email that my barn door is set to ship tomorrow! Yahooooo! Gonna have to make sure I don't snag powerlines with it!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I got the barn door last night when I got home and installed it. Boy that sucker is tall! I didn't ride it. I weren't feeling so good. Felt like a minor case of food poisoning. Starting to feel better now though.

I opted for the vent. It looks so tall, it is hard for me to imagine it won't be SO MUCH MORE QUIET. And I thought about the vent. The vent seemed super useful. Because once the air is forced over the top of the windshield, it will want to immediately rush down and fill in the gap (low pressure zone) behind the windshield. The vent will reduce the low pressure zone, which *should prevent the air going over the windshield from trying to rush down as much. Decreasing the noise over the windshield. But also, with the vent at least somewhat relieving the pressure differential, maybe the mpg won't be so negatively effected. We shall see.

Looks like I only have to finish my $8 driver's backrest project.

7milesout

·
Registered
665 Posts
Another benefit of the vent, in addition to the cooling breeze, is that it mitigates the rush of air hitting you from the BACK, trying to fill the vacuum behind the windscreen. If I ride in cool weather with the windscreen up and vent closed, I get a cold draft on my back. If I crack the vent upon a bit, the draft is gone.

You should be able to see over the top of the windscreen without stretching. If you cannot, then you may have purchased the wrong size. I had a XL Clearview that I had to replace with a Medium because of that problem.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts