Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of asked this of the Yamaha gang, I thought I'd better get a balanced view:

I'm of the impression that both are fine scooters, but it seems that test riding in this area is going to be difficult, if not impossible. So, for those who own or have ridden both:

* I don't plan on doing a much touring, but I am attracted to the extra hp and extra storage of the Burgman. On the other hand, I like that the handling of the Tmax is reportedly "much better" - it's a more agile, easy to handle machine?

* I've been told that Yamaha motorcycles are, generally speaking, of better quality than Suzuki ... not sure if that applies to the scooters as well (no offence to anyone here; I was just told this, once again, by a salesperson who sells both brands and had both in stock)?

*Is there any difference in maintenance costs?

* As I'd be looking at a used bike, are there any model years in either bike which should be avoided?

* Any other objective comparisons/suggestions, or other things which should be taken into consideration?

Thanks, in advance!!!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
While I have never owned or ridden a Tmax I have the impression that it is more sporting than the Burgman 650 no doubt due to its lighter weight. As with anything it depends on how you will use it which may actually change after you have purcahsed one. I am also of the impression that scooters with traditional CVT's may actually have a higher operating cost than the 650 due to design not accounting for anything unexpected. Generally I would probably recommend the newest bike based on the price your willing to pay. I love my 650's storage which I think is more useful than the BMW or Kymco of similar size (I can fit a 5 gallon NATO gas can in there with the seat latched). Hopefully you can find someone who has owned both to get a true feeling of satisfaction.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I would think that the T-Max may be more expensive to do work on, at least anything big. The engine is super complicated, cool and powerful but complicated.

From the quality I have seen on both Yamaha and Suzuki - I don't think Yamaha is much better, both are good brands. It depends more on which model it is. Since both the Burgman and the T-Max are higher end scoots from each brand I would say the quality is on par.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just two weeks ago traded in my 2009 Tmax on a new 2013 Burgman 650. The Tmax I bought new and owned for 4 1/2 years and put just over 20,000 miles on it. I only have about 1100 miles on the Burg so far but here is my assessment of each.

The Tmax has a lot going for it. First off the Tmax was much cheaper to buy costing me just over $7000.00 out the door, the Burg cost me $3200.00 more. But the Burg is definitely more luxurious, has that computer controlled transmission you can shift, has a power windshield and the big one, comes standard with ABS.

The Tmax handles better than the Burg but not by much. The Tmax has much better brake feel but once again the brakes are not ABS. Both bikes accelerate about the same. The Burg gets better gas mileage by 2-5 mph which is odd since the Tmax is lighter and has a smaller engine by 150cc.

The Burg has more under seat storage and that nice lockable dash storage area. The Tmax has a couple small dash pockets but they don't lock and there is no way you could put two full face helmets under the seat.

The Tmax is easier to do oil changes as there isn't a seperate area for transmission oil and nothing needs to be removed to change all the oils. The CVT belt on the Tmax is listed in the maintenance schedule as needing replacement every 12,000 miles but I never changed mine while I had it and noticed no odd transmission behavior. The Burg has no required belt change until it breaks I guess, and it appears much more complicated to do on the Burg. The battery and fuse location on the Tmax is in the stupidest place I've ever seen on any bike I've owned. Stuck in the front nose of the bike and can only be accessed by removing the mirrors, windshield trim and the windshield. The Burg has it battery and fuses in nice easy to get to locations.

Fit and finish is much better on the Burg. All the panels fit nicely together and there are no gaps. Not so on the Tmax, as there was a couple of places where plastic trim wouldn't stay interlocked and a couple of places where I could see daylight where two body parts came together.

So far I'm not unhappy about trading in the Tmax for the Burg.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I own all of them , 650 Burg , tmax , silverwing , big ruckus .

650 Burg , best ride and most comfortable of the lot . Fewest rattles of the lot . CVT could blow up this afternoon or .........NEVER ?

Tmax , sport bike with a CVT ..........sort of . Some rattles . Engineering very sophisticated compared to Honda's Silverwing . No where near as comfortable as the 650 burg . In fact for me it's a bit uncomfortable after an hour .

Silverwing . best long term and cheapest to maintain of the lot . More rattles than the lot . Maintain it and it will go on and on and on . No where near as comfortable as the 650 burg . Seat SUCKS !

Big Ruckus . right off the bat needs carb re-jetted , jcosta racing variator , rear shock replaced then it's pretty decent for a 250cc scooter . Can carry a huge trunk and pretty easy to maintain . Expensive to buy because it's rare , then about $800 in parts to get it to run and ride right . Fun to drive around town , freeway capable but barely . Holds its value like no other scooter .

I can own and or drive any thing I want , my go to bike is my 650 Burg . The rest are just for fun , if I could own only one it would hands down be the 650 Burg . And that's in spite of the CVT .

Now you know what I know , ........or at least what I think I know ? :D

TheReaper!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
First off the Tmax was much cheaper to buy costing me just over $7000.00 out the door, the Burg cost me $3200.00 more.
While now they only offer 1 model the price on the standard one is closer in price. My first one I bought new in '03 cost somewhere around that $7K figure I also bought a new '09 std model in 2010 for $7,500 OTD (at that time I think the Exec would have cost me about $2,000 more). It seems to me that the 650 can be had second hand at very good prices and more frequently possibly than the Tmax.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
For my 2009 Tmax in 2009 $6,450 out the door , they lost their *** on me . List price was $7,999 plus freight plus yada yada yada . Last week some one had a blue 2009 300 miles not a scratch for sale locally , asking $3,900 . SOLD ! All the big scoots are in the pooper price wise now . Keep that in mind when you are shopping for one , you can pay 6K for one you think is fairly priced . Then you find you don't like it for what ever reason and you try to sell it , and no one will offer you more than 3K for it . That is what this marker is like right now , and the dealer is the absolute worse place to shop for a used bike today ......or any day .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Oddly enough, I bought mine at a dealership used and it was a good $1000 cheaper than any of the private sales at the time. Sure, it didn't look as clean and it needed a $20 final drive gasket, but that's still $980 in my pocket.

·
Registered
366 Posts
As of asked this of the Yamaha gang, I thought I'd better get a balanced view:

I'm of the impression that both are fine scooters, but it seems that test riding in this area is going to be difficult, if not impossible. So, for those who own or have ridden both:

* I don't plan on doing a much touring, but I am attracted to the extra hp and extra storage of the Burgman. On the other hand, I like that the handling of the Tmax is reportedly "much better" - it's a more agile, easy to handle machine?

* I've been told that Yamaha motorcycles are, generally speaking, of better quality than Suzuki ... not sure if that applies to the scooters as well (no offence to anyone here; I was just told this, once again, by a salesperson who sells both brands and had both in stock)?

*Is there any difference in maintenance costs?

* As I'd be looking at a used bike, are there any model years in either bike which should be avoided?

* Any other objective comparisons/suggestions, or other things which should be taken into consideration?

Thanks, in advance!!!
As I understand it T-Max is no longer in production in the US, as I know it was discontinued. I don't know why, It's a great looking bike and Yamaha has a good name. But anyway Burgman has had the same model for 11 years. I don't think I want a discontinued model of anything VS a bike that has a great reputation and going strong. I just got mine a 2013 for that reason after so many years you figure they have most of the kinks worked out and with so many owners you can also get help and parts.
So personally unless the price had a huge difference I go Burgman.
That is my personal opinion.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The T-Max may come back here. It is possible there are just a lot of left over old stock. When that happens they skip a year or two. The 2014 is listed on the Canadian site. A lot of the things they have to do to meet Canadian regs will match the USA{except for Cali which has their own regs}. It is also possible that sales were too low and so they don't import it any more.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The T-Max may come back here. It is possible there are just a lot of left over old stock. When that happens they skip a year or two. The 2014 is listed on the Canadian site. A lot of the things they have to do to meet Canadian regs will match the USA{except for Cali which has their own regs}. It is also possible that sales were too low and so they don't import it any more.
I've been told the new 530 is practically a new bike, big redesign. My friend is salivating for one. But this means a whole new amount of parts to supply, mechanics training, etc, etc.

Not sure if its gonna be worth yamahas time and energy. Given the number on the road, sales didn't seem worth it. Why Canada gets it is beyond my knowledge.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I've been told the new 530 is practically a new bike, big redesign. My friend is salivating for one. But this means a whole new amount of parts to supply, mechanics training, etc, etc.

Not sure if its gonna be worth yamahas time and energy. Given the number on the road, sales didn't seem worth it. Why Canada gets it is beyond my knowledge.
Canada has gotten other models that we didn't. A few years back Honda imported the CBR125 to Canada but not to the US. Maybe it was a test to see if NA buyers would go for it? Maybe that is what Yamaha is doing? Canada is a little more relaxed on emissions and safety testing so maybe they like to test the waters up there first before making a full commitment?

I hope Yamaha brings it here, I have always liked the looks of the T-max, it and the Gilera Nexis.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Yeah, i saw the new TMAX today and seen it before. different category, hardly for touring and less practical. But performance should be great.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The Tmax is big in Europe , they did not sell well here . I like mine but I rarely drive it , but every once in a while I take it out and give it a fun run through the twisties . I've had it since 2009 and have less than 3000 miles on it . I also have 2 Big Ruckus scooters that just sit , one has 60 miles on it and the other has 300 . What do they say ? who dies with the most toys wins ? :D

TheReaper!

·
Registered
132 Posts
The T-max is a fine scooter! It might be a little more exciting than the Burgman in the twisties, but keep in mind that Yamaha has not imported the T-max since 2010. You will be hard pressed to find a T-max with a build date after 2009. Overall, the Burgman 650 is still the best of the maxi scooters and in my opinion this includes the BMW scooter. BMW still has a lot of work getting the bugs out of their new scoot.
respectfully,
David Miller

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I should have added that I'm in Canada, eh,
so Tmax availability is not a problem.

·
Registered
132 Posts
In my opinion, the Burgman 650 is still the best of the best. Some on this forum my feel that the Burgman is getting long in the tooth and needs a major overhall. In truth, the Burgman has been slowly refinded over the last ten years. We now have a pretty bullet-proof machine! The Burgman may not do the twisties as well as the T-max or the new BMW but as a total package for turing, sports riding, hauling groceries, etc., the Burgman is still the one to beat. Oh, lets not forget its reliability either
Respectfully,
David Miller

·
Registered
175 Posts

The 530 Tmax may be redesigned but I personally wouldn't consider the rear drive belt system an upgrade compared to the near maintenance free enclosed chain drive of the previous version. I like to change as few belts as possible.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The 530 Tmax may be redesigned but I personally wouldn't consider the rear drive belt system an upgrade compared to the near maintenance free enclosed chain drive of the previous version. I like to change as few belts as possible.
I'm not a Tmax aficionado, I'm just reporting what I've been told. The 500 is a fine bike, the 530 is supposed to be better.

I'd still prefer the 650.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts