Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I need a new rear tire. I'm looking at darksiding. I know the profile of the tire is different, but is it going to affect my riding and tight cornering much? I know it's supposed to be a longer use tire and that's really why I want it. The high mileage. So, from people that have used car tires on the 650, what is the over all best tire to put on? I have someone that will mount it so that's not an issue. I'm just not wanting to have to modify anything to just put it on. I'm wanting something that can handle well and work well in wet weather. Not worried about snow in AZ. Also, what is the largest size I can stick on there and not have any rubbing or problems? What is the stock size?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I don't know the 'best' tire to put on. I have a Bridgestone Potenza 165/65/14 on mine currently and I believe a 165/60/14 waiting to go on. There was no modification required except to set the shocks at 5. I didn't adjust the shocks originally and when riding two up crossing railroad tracks I did wear a hole in the bottom of my under seat storage approximately 1/16 x 1/2 inch. With the shocks set at '5' it still rides smoother then the OEM tire and shock set at '2'.

If you use countersteering you just may like the car tire better then the original as it gives a nicer controlled lean. With two up the center stand is still the first to drag but by myself, 250lbs, the plastic under the radiator is the first to drag as the tire raises the back just enough to keep center stand from being the first point of contact.

Now that I have approximately 37,000 miles on car tired Burgman 650s I hate the handling of my friend's Burgman 650 with the OEM. Wet grass and gravel road/driveway handling is also improved.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I see no reason to mount a used tire when a brand new one to your door is only $65.

I bought this one after recommendations from others: http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=135&cart_id=2204.135.25667&sowigan=GAN&Breite=165&Quer=60&Felge=14&Speed=T&kategorie=&ranzahl=4&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW&Label=F-C-72-3&details=Ordern&typ=R-133871

Had a local shop mount it for me for $15.

I have been just delighted with it. So smoooooooooooth. And if there is a difference in cornering you get used the change very quickly.

And from the looks of the last 5,000 miles or on it I see no reason why it shouldn't last at least another 15,000 more. At least.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ok. So what made you choose the 165/65/14 vs. 165/60/14?
When I first went Dark Side the Potenza was the tire most popular. As time has gone on there have been others tried so I decided to try a smaller diameter then try turning my shocks back to '4' or even '3' when two up and see what happens. Some people buy different bikes every few years, I'll try a different tire.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have the Potenza 165/65R 14 on my 650. 25,000 miles and still good for this winter. There are different brands available now, check out the Knowledge Base at the top of the page for other brands. I'm 250 lb and only ride solo. I have the shocks set at 4 except when loaded for camping, and have never had a rub. It feels more stable in all conditions, and stopping is much better in the rain. Handling may feel slightly different at first, but now I don't notice anything different. Use counter steering, and be careful until you get comfortable with it (samething you should do with any new tire!).

·
Registered
704 Posts
I see no reason to mount a used tire when a brand new one to your door is only $65.

I bought this one after recommendations from others: http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=135&cart_id=2204.135.25667&sowigan=GAN&Breite=165&Quer=60&Felge=14&Speed=T&kategorie=&ranzahl=4&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW&Label=F-C-72-3&details=Ordern&typ=R-133871

Had a local shop mount it for me for $15.

I have been just delighted with it. So smoooooooooooth. And if there is a difference in cornering you get used the change very quickly.

And from the looks of the last 5,000 miles or on it I see no reason why it shouldn't last at least another 15,000 more. At least.
I believe this is the same tire I have to replace my Potenza. (Too lazy to go look). I bought it this summer after I got a flat enroute to pick up my new seat from Cary. A quick Walmart stop for a plug kit and I was on my way. Reading here about plugged tires scared me so I ordered a replacement but the plugged tire has held air better then any of my nonplugged MC tires. So now it sits in my basement waiting to be mounted. The current tire has 28,000 miles, 12,000 since plugged and looks like it should do for another 8-10,000 miles.

·
Administrator
18,752 Posts
The Potenza 165/65 SR 14 was my first car tire. Then I went back to OEM on the new to me first 08 till I crashed it. Stayed on OEM on my second 08 till that BattleAx was done then went to a Federal Formosa FRD2 155/65 HR14, IMHO the best tire I have had. When I picked up a "Dry Wall screw in anchor" I bought a General Tire 185/60 HR 14 and while I like it I would NOT recommend it due to NOT fitting WITHOUT grinding the swingarms casting seam off. I must have 25,000 miles on it so far.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you use countersteering you just may like the car tire better then the original as it gives a nicer controlled lean.
Use counter steering, and be careful until you get comfortable with it (samething you should do with any new tire!).
Has someone figured out a way to steer a motorcycle at speed without counter-steering?! :confused:

·
Administrator
18,752 Posts
Ron, you can go thru life subconsciously counter steering and feel like you turn by leaning or take an active role in counter steering and really fly. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, is this the one I should try? I have no idea what the differences would be between car tires. I need to order one asap. Federal Formosa FRD2 155/65 HR14

·
Registered
753 Posts
I believe that more of us darksiders run the 165/60/14 than the 155/60/14. I have not tried the smaller tire so I really cannot give you my evaluation on it.

I feel pretty sure that your ride will be a bit smoother with the slightly larger tire and your speedometer will be a bit more accurate.

When the day comes (if ever!) that I wear out my tire I plan to put the exact same size back on it. Not sure if it will be the same brand because I am not sure that they will be available when that day comes.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, I guess the question now isn't wchich tire brand or model, but what's the largest smoothest size tire I can fit without modifications?

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Like Rustydust posted most of us darksiders are running a 165/60/14. I have just over 10k on it and still looks like new. ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'll bet'cha most riders don't even know that you can steer left to go right and vice versa. When I told some of my riding friends about it they looked at me with pity.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Anyone make a 165/60R14 tire in a brand that people have heard of? I'm still not sold on no-name Chinese tires.

·
Administrator
18,752 Posts
The 155/65 HR 14 is a bit taller than a 165/60 HR 14. Not by much bit just a bit. I do not know if anyone is still making a 155/65 14 so you have the pick of 165/60 14 or 165/65 14.

Use Discount Tire's calculator to see the size difference. http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.do

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Anyone make a 165/60R14 tire in a brand that people have heard of? I'm still not sold on no-name Chinese tires.
I don't really think there's much difference between them and the western-branded Chinese tires you've been running for the last 20 years.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I would stick with the Name branded Tires, Chinese tires are cheap, Dont expect to leave town with them crossing state to state , there will start Blistering,Bubbles, May be ok as long as you stay in the state!!

Be careful even with Name brand tires even if there branded High brand on the front and inside there China,

Some of these tires are real good, Mines had 0 PSI in the front but still drives normal, Drags a bit, But at least you can make it to a gas station with them, the one you want to stay away from is one's that Comes off the rim when your Air runs out!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm using a
Kumho Solus KH17
High Performance Sport all season tire
bought @ tirebuyer.com

Size: 165/60R14

Total paid:
$45.62, shipped to my house

I chose Kumho b/c I've used them before on my two BMW cars. They stick like glue in the wet, stay quiet all the way down to the wear bars, and don't go out of round and create flat spots should you don't drive often and park the vehicle for long periods of time.
The KH17 has an outstanding UTQG rating of 600 A A, so it's got a wear rating and warranty @ 40,000 miles. it's H speed rated, or up to 130mph.
THe only downside is, even though they're all season, the A A rating suggests that they grip better in milder temps than freezing cold.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts