Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey im planning on changing my tires on suzuki Burgman 650 and wanted to know a good set of tires to put on the Burgman. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Try doing a search of the knowledge base. This topic has been discussed more often than a Kim Kardashian bikini photo has been viewed on the Internet.

But for the record, I run a Shinko on the rear. They last almost as long as the name brands, perform well, and most important, cost half of most tires. Important because the 650 chews through rears.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I run SHinko as well ... - so far so good and tired off paying for expensive brands that wear out too quick.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Hey im planning on changing my tires on suzuki Burgman 650 and wanted to know a good set of tires to put on the Burgman. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
Easy to find answer with search function, 100 + post on this subject.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Tires are like shoes you have got to try them to find out which set best suites your riding needs.

With that said, I am on my 4th rear shinko and 2nd front shinko.

They work extremely well in all weather conditions and offer a decent wear interval.

I get between 5-7k miles out of the rear' and about 12-15k miles out of the front.
Basically a 2 rears to 1front tire ratio.

I have two more rears and one front sitting in the garage.

The rear does not flat spot like the b-stones.

Good luck....

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Stock Bridgestones.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
You will get as many opinions as there are brands out there. My setup of choice is the OEM Bridgestone on the front and the Michelin Pilot Sport on the back.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I put stock Bridgestones on my '07 when I bought her in October. She's got an additional 11k on her and really does need a fresh rear. But instead of another Bridgestone, I'm going with a Federal Formoza for the next rear tire. I'm a daily commuter and, though I've never yet run a car tire on a motorcycle, the extremely long wear is just too tempting to ignore. If I don't like it, I'll go back to the Bridgestone - which is an excellent tire.

The price on the Formoza is pretty good too:

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=135&cart_id=2204.135.25667&sowigan=GAN&Breite=165&Quer=60&Felge=14&Speed=T&kategorie=&ranzahl=4&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW&Label=F-C-72-3&details=Ordern&typ=R-133871

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have the Potenza. about 6k miles and still looks brand new. I don't even think about what tire I have on it anymore.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dunlop Scootsmarts, the dogs bollocks ! Can you can them in the USA ? These tyres let you exploit the excellent handling of the Big B and what an improvement in braking, incredible.

Kenno.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just mounted a Bridgestone on the back of my 650, got 10250 out of the rear before I changed it. I figured it'd be best for me to stay with what Suzuki put on it as they probably have a better idea of handling than I ever will. Besides everyone has a different opinion of what works for them. Its kinda like asking are tighty whities best or boxers!:D

Greg

·
Registered
203 Posts
I did a poll earlier this year so you can read this thread
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/12-general-discussion/82217-rear-tire-burgman-650-suggestions.html#post832209

I ended up getting the Michelin and have been very happy with it so far. A lot of folks here "darkside" by putting a car tire on the rear to get a much longer tread life. I bought my bike used and it had a car tire on it. I did not like the way it handled. I like the bike much better with a motorcycle tire and I ain't so poor that I can't afford a new tire every 8000 miles or so but I do understand why people who ride a lot of miles do use them.

Good luck with your choice. It probably just comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
A few weeks ago I put the Bridgestone Battlax back on the back as the Pirelli Diablo I had only got me 6,000 miles. The THO1-M gives me 10K on each one I've had.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I heard an interesting opinion about car tires the other day from my tire guy. From his experience, those with car tires tend to do less maintenance on their bikes, to the point of forgetfulness. Like having to replace the tires is almost a reminder that other work needs to be done, oil, brakes and such. He showed me a brake pad that was not only chewed through the pad, but half way through the metal, from a CT client.

I'm not sure how true this is, but it's an interesting theory. Of course he's dealing mostly with GW guys, who may be more use to long maintenance intervals. And of course he's got a vested interest in that he makes his living selling MC tires.

Not my theory, but thought I'd pass it along.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
A few weeks ago I put the Bridgestone Battlax back on the back as the Pirelli Diablo I had only got me 6,000 miles. The THO1-M gives me 10K on each one I've had.
I bought my first 650 back in '03 and when the first rear needed to be replaced I went with a Diablo mostly because at the time is was considerably cheaper than the OE Bridgestone. No a days there isn't much difference in price. Since the Pirelli is showing cords by 5K miles and the Bridgestones last almost twice as long it's an easy choice for me to stay with the OE tires. Wouldn't might trying a Michelin, Maxxis, or Dunlop's if I could get my hands on them for a decent price.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Here in Europe, @ 5,000 km on the rear Bridgestone, it's like a 10-year old Labrador dog, you know that every day it lives longer is a gift.

10,000 miles or 16,000 km is like a 16-year old Labrador, you might have heard of one getting that old, but you will never actually meet one.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Dunlop Scootsmarts, the dogs bollocks ! Can you can them in the USA ? These tyres let you exploit the excellent handling of the Big B and what an improvement in braking, incredible.
Like them, eh? Thanks for the tip, Kenno. Amazon.com led me right to a place which seems set up to ship them "outside the European Union" though I did not actually hit the button to make the purchase.

$64 + shipping + customs for a front.

www.sip-scootershop.com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts