Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace the tires on my scooter. I have looked through the multitude of posts. Most are pretty old and following links seems to take me mostly to dead URLs.

Any strong suggestions on which tires to get. I know the sizes listed in the owner's manual, probably best to stick with those. My question is are there any tire brands/models that seem to be at the top of the crop in terms of quality and value? I am looking at the Perelli Diablos, which seem to have good reputation. Any other ones that you'd recommend. Maybe I am making a big deal out of something where I shouldn't be, but want to make sure I don't settle on a tire that later I may discover it was not the smarter/smartest choice.

My riding will be mostly state routes--think of farmland country (but not highway or congested inner cities).

I saw that LeDude (how can one not look there first for info) does (or didn't a while back) recommend Bridgestone, but that article is quite old and I was hoping to get a newer lens on the buying options.

A pointer to the suggestion would be most helpful, but can understand not having to go through that trouble.

·
Premium Member
12,793 Posts
a million years ago when I had my first auto, tires were rated for carsin a bunch of different ways, longevity, grippiness, water shedding etcetcetc, there are some mild differences in compounds for bike tires now, but nothing really to shout about unless you are going to the track, and throwing away your tires when you leave, In Ohio, you don't have a big water problem like washington/oregon, heat like ariona, n. mexico, or bugs and alligators like florida and louisiana, I made my first tire choice for a bike by calling 6 repair/ dealership shops in the local area, and asking them what was the most common ordered or used tire they sold, amazingly the most popular was also the most expensive they had, so I went with the oem.

·
Administrator
20,296 Posts
After any bike I buy wears the Bridgestones out I replace them with others.
Michlen made an excellent long lasting tire that fit called Gold Standard but they disconnected it.

A lot of us have been running the Shinko's but a few members are NOT impressed at all.
I am on my 3rd Shinko on front. For me up here in the RAIN capital of USA, they work well once scuffed in. I get about 12,000 to 18,000 miles from one.
I will not talk about my rear tire as 7Mile is a bit upset right now.

·
Registered
787 Posts
LeDude switched over to Shinko bias ply tires a while back and I have pursued that strategy. I still haven't worn through my front Bridgestone, but I'm on my second Shinko in the rear. I got about 8,500 miles on the prior rear Bridgestone and then 4,700 on the first Shinko, but the Shinko was less than half the cost of the Bridgestone and I can change them for free at my buddy's shop. However, I'm riding MOSTLY TWO-UP these days so you should expect more mileage from either tire if you're riding alone.

Reactions: SilentP

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured I can't go wrong if I follow in LeDude's lead. ;-)

I have decided to buy the Shinko tires from Amazon.
Front: Shinko SR567 Front Tire (120/70-15)
Rear: Shinko SR568 Rear Tire (160/60-14)

Please let me know if these are the right sizes and will fit my 2005 650. If so, I will press the "buy" button ASAP.

I have a local mechanic that will install these for me for $90. That seems to be a very fair price.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Those are the right tires. While you’re at it, buy a couple of high quality right-angle tire stems. They make it much easier to check pressure and fill.

·
Administrator
20,296 Posts

4 each different type but still bolt on for $12

Reactions: SilentP

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those are the right tires. While you’re at it, buy a couple of high quality right-angle tire stems. They make it much easier to check pressure and fill.
Thanks much for the help to you and all the rest.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

4 each different type but still bolt on for $12
Thanks. Will add to cart and checkout.

·
Super Moderator
12,468 Posts
I'll stick with Dave regarding Shinko's. I'm one of the unimpressed ones, but they're not terrible, and are 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'll stick with Dave regarding Shinko's. I'm one of the unimpressed ones, but they're not terrible, and are 1/2 the price.
I'm curious about why you don't care for them. My experience on my 650 is too limited to support a learned conclusion. They seem to be quieter and smoother than the Bridgestones, but I can't comment with authority on their handling characteristics.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Careful tightening that valve nut. Seems many stripped there's reading the reviews. I think they're all the same quality no matter the brand.

·
Administrator
20,296 Posts
Careful tightening that valve nut. Seems many stripped there's reading the reviews. I think they're all the same quality no matter the brand.
Most people will try to over tighten something like this. "If some is GOOD, MORE is better". They do not want it to leak.

These need to be tightened down to GERMAN spec, GUTTINTIGHT. Just finger tight and then snugged up with a short wrench.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
GUTTINTIGHT

Yep. That's the correct German precision. What do they know those oktoberfest shmos

·
Registered
654 Posts
Most people will try to over tighten something like this. "If some is GOOD, MORE is better". They do not want it to leak.

These need to be tightened down to GERMAN spec, GUTTINTIGHT. Just finger tight and then snugged up with a short wrench.
Thought GUTTINTIGHT spec was tighten until it begins to loosen slightly then back off 1 flat? :unsure:

SilentP, I'm still working on the first set of new Bridgestones on my 650, but have about 1,000 miles on as set of Shinkos on the 400. No complaints so far. The front Shinko does follow road/rain grooves, doesn't bother me though. And i haven't been in any rain with them yet.

motosport.com has good prices for the Shinkos

·
Super Moderator
12,468 Posts
The Shinko's handling is not as good. More effort to lean, especially as they age out.
The Bridgestones are just generally more nimble and give more confidence in heavy leans.
This is due to structure, bias ply is by it's nature thicker in the sidewalls & the bike was designed around radials.
The Bridgestones also have a higher speed rating; however since I rarely take the bike over 100mph that does not come into play very often.

The Shinko, when new seems a bit better in the wet, but this fades rapidly if it's not just an illusion brought on by having new tire with deeper tread.
The Shinko front has shown cupping consistently so does not last as long as the Bridgestone fronts; however since it's almost twice as long as the rear that's not a killer.
I've simply ended up doing the rear a bit earlier than I might and have them both replaced for round 2 on the rear.

The price difference was originally not as bad, so I just ate it, but the last time I went looking for tires I was able to buy, mount and balance a set of shinko's with the shop pulling the wheels on both for roughly the price of just the rear, not counting installation. I have not checked lately but when/if I end up buying another full set I will look again.

So, to sum it up.
The Shinko's are not as nimble but are good enough. Their wider structure may even supply a bit more stability for loaded touring and such. I have ridden through several sets of these including 10 hour + days, so have a good idea how these go down the road.
The Bridgestones are my preferred, but I cannot ignore the price. The pricing is not insurmountable, but for the price difference I can take a lot of day trips including lunch. Perhaps if my lottery investments pay off I'll shift back to them, but for the nonce I'll work with "OK" vs. "Better" and pocket the difference.

Really I'm still looking for the perfect tire, but so far I have not heard of one for the 650, & since they've been discontinued and run an odd tire size I will not hold my breath for one.

Tromper

I'm curious about why you don't care for them. My experience on my 650 is too limited to support a learned conclusion. They seem to be quieter and smoother than the Bridgestones, but I can't comment with authority on their handling characteristics.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yep, Bridgestone is on the front but on those tight curves I needed both ends to stay put.

Trying to keep up with Bobby on wet curves conflicts with my innate desire to see another day.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts