Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to swap the Summer tires for the Snow tires on my Mustang, got me thinking about the Scoot...

Are motorcycle tires (like the ones we would buy, not crotch-rocket slicks!) mostly "all-season" tires, or are there some that are more "summer" or "snow" like with car tires? Obviously there are also "knobbies" for the dirt-bike riders too.

I've done autocross and track days with my cars, so I've learned a LOT about car tires the last few years, but really don't know much yet about motorcycle/scooter tires. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
They are like you said more of a all season tires. Some have found some brands that have better traction in wet weather then others. Something I don't know much about here in the desert of So. Cal. around Palm Springs. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
The tires on our scoots are not what I would call a true all season tire. They don't offer much by way of extra traction on snow or ice conditions.

The only tire I know of that purports to provide better traction in winter conditions is the Metzeler Feelfree Wintec tire. It has a compound that supposedly warms faster and extra sipes in the tread pattern to give a little more traction in wet conditions. Whether it grips any better on ice and snow is up for debate but it should handle wet better for sure.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
+1 with Buffalo on that. Mostly you won't find proper winter tyres for road bikes. The reason is the compounds used are too soft for our bikes and they get torn apart too easily. They don't even offer enough grip in the dry to be safe. Once temps fall below -5c ordinary rubber on our bikes becomes pretty useless as the rubber become too hard to give any sort of good grip. Conversely, winter compounds tend to be just much too soft.

I'm wondering if any of our european Scandinavian friends may have some advice for us on this.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those Wintec's certainly look impressive for cold n' wet. :)

Is there a website for 2-wheelers similar to Tire Rack for 4-wheelers? I'm a big fan of TR, with all their reviews and videos.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
How about having the tires studded like they do for ice racing? I saw some snow chains on a motorcycle parts shop once, maybe they make them for scoot sizes? I tried riding home one night in a snow storm and went down. I will never ride in snow again! Rain yes, but not snow!

·
Registered
857 Posts
. Once temps fall below -5c ordinary rubber on our bikes becomes pretty useless as the rubber become too hard to give any sort of good grip. Conversely, winter compounds tend to be just much too soft.

I'm wondering if any of our european Scandinavian friends may have some advice for us on this.

Whats -5c in ferenheit?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just installed Metzeler Freefree Wintec tires, which are advertised as a winter scooter tire.

http://www.metzeler.com/site/com/products/tyres-catalogue/Feelfree-Wintec.html
I have used Metzelers, six rears already on two bikes. They don't last very long, but they stick like glue. Very important — make sure the tire pressure is adjusted properly, to Metzeler specs, otherwise they wear very quickly. They are a dual compound tire, with the center section made from a harder rubber than the sidewalls. I have Diablos on now. The Metzelers wear out very quickly, too fast for me. If the Diablos do no better, I may go back to Bricks.

No opinion on cold weather performance. Call me chickenshit, but I won't ride below freezing.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
No opinion on cold weather performance. Call me chickenshit, but I won't ride below freezing.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary
I quit riding below freezing about 35 years ago when I almost wrecked when I hit a patch of ice where water had run across the road. I remember the feeling like it was yesterday. I'm happy with "summer" tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts