Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, what size tires does the 650 use? What do the numbers mean? Are there any perfomance tires available, ie: softer compounds or wider sizes for better lateral bite, etc.?

And second, I have a little buddy that likes to travel w/me, a lot. Up til now she would always ride on the console in the truck, or with her head in my lap, sprawled across the seat, or draped across my shoulders watching out the side or back window. Now befiore anyone gets the wrong idea here, I'm talking about my "5 lbs of fur, 95 lbs of attitude" yorkie, Misty.

Does anyone ride with thier pet? If so, how can one go about it safely (for both of us, of course!)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The only alternative to the stock Bridgestones sold in the USA right now are Pirelli's. I've been running Pirelli radials on my 650 and I prefer them. They improve the ride a lot, handle at least as well, and I've had better tire wear from them. Pirelli has just introduced a new performance series in the sizes used by the AN650. The new model is supposed to be grippier in wet riding conditions. Might be what you are looking for. One member has bought a set but has not mounted them yet.

There are a few folks who carry small dogs to Scootercade each year. They have various carriers rigged up. I didn't really look at them closely. I do remember that some of the dogs wear goggles for eye protection though.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pauljo,

Thanks for the heads up on the tires. I was fortunate enough to buy the 650 with a new set of Pirelli's already on it, and spare set thrown into the deal, so I'm good, at least for the moment.

My main thought was that wider tires might give a bigger footprint and, as such, a better lateral bite to help prevent skids. Failing that, my next thought was to consider a softer compound to acheive the same result.

On my truck, running the stock 295/45 ZR18 Goodyears, at the power level she's at now, cold tires are almost as bad as driving on ice, no bite in any direction. Since 18" tires are very limited in selection, and already <12" wide, my only hope was to run a softer compound, so I started using the Nitto 555 Extreme tires in 305/40 ZR18. Cold starts are still a bit slippery, but the traction and handling are very much improved. Now all I have to worry about is replacing $1500 sets of tires every year or so. Mileage on the soft compound sucks green pond water!

As to Misty, I want to take her with me on the bike, but if I can't find a way that she'll be safe, she'll just have to stay home. I bought one of the custom "tank bags" from that guy on eBay (it came in today) thinking she might ride in it. It's certainly big enough to accomodate her easily, and I'm impressed with the quality of materials and workmanship, but I'm still not certain about taking her on the bike with me even in the bag.

Think about it for a moment, can you see her, hair flying in the breeze, wearing a little do-rag and some Joe Cool tinted goggles? I might even have to get her a little black leather jacket in case she gets cold :lol: .

Certainly a Kodak moment at the very least!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have a marvellous sugguestion for your pet. There is a hump bag made by GIVI (T-438) that will fit a pet very nicely. The bag sits in front of you and with some modifications to the top I think a small pet would fit. The positioning would be good as well. I have one and have fitted it to my 650. Thibault Ltd in Quebec supplies us with this product in Canada. Do a search and look for the T-438 bag.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wyldman said:
I bought one of the custom "tank bags" from that guy on eBay (it came in today) thinking she might ride in it. It's certainly big enough to accomodate her easily, and I'm impressed with the quality of materials and workmanship, but I'm still not certain about taking her on the bike with me even in the bag.
Hmmm, great minds think alike! 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts