Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. My K7 400 seems to have scalloping and good wear on the front tire. Just purchased the bike 2 weeks ago with lots maintenance done except for tire care and have no owners manual. That being said I have some newbie questions after researching several historical threads on tires for the 400.

1. I live in south-central Louisiana with a lot of wet weather conditions. Which tires are better for wet weather climates (at least 2/3 year)?

2. The debate on tire pressure continues: for a daily commuter (55miles/day for 5 days a week) on mostly interstate route/stop and go traffic a third of the way, are there better pressures to maintain the tires? And does this change the best tire consideration?

3. I am confused in thread readings - should the front have half life of the back , same, or vice versa; and should they be the same tire make/model until you can change both?

Sorry if this is overload, just trying to get the best bang for my Burg.

Wayner

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Can't speak to wetness factor as I live in one if the most arid places on the planet. But from what I've read and experienced, higher pressures extend the life. I run 28 front and 33 rear.

On the 400, both tires run about the same mileage, around 10k. I've had limited, but good experience using dyna beads. Seems to extend the wear a couple k from what I can gather mid way though my rear.

I run Dunlop Scooterline on both. Good tires, not too expensive. Don't know if it helps having a matching set, but couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Liamjs. Been reading about the Dunlop brand and seems they are a reasonable tire for the mileage. Currently have Pirelli on, but with unknown mileage.

Don't mind paying a little more now if it can pay off in the long run with higher mileage tires.

Do you order tires online and take it somewhere to be installed, do it all yourself, or let someone else do it all?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Lately I've been buying them on line and having them installed. Think I paid $60 for the front and $50 for the install. Not bad considering many tires cost $110 just for the tire.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Good morning Wayne,

I've used a variety of tires over 43K miles. Front OEM lasted roughly 20K. With the OEM on the front I had an OEM rear for 10K and a Michelin PP for about 10K. Then I switched to the Michelin PP on the front and the rear for about 10K and replaced the rear tire with another Michelin PP. The front tire got a nail in it at about 12K and was replaced with an OEM (of necessity not by preference). Current rear tire is now Michelin City Grip with an OEM front. I do not care for the OEM front tires because they seem to be prone to excessive (my opinion only) scalloping. On the next tire change, about 7K miles from now, I expect to go to Michelin City Grips front and back.

I my experience, front tires last about 20K and rear tires last about 10K. One time my rear tire had cords showing so maybe I was pushing it just a little but those are reasonable approximate figures.

Some have noted unusual behavior with Michelin PP SC when mounted both front and rear. I did not. I did notice a very slight, possibly imagined, difference in feel on mild sweeping turns on wet, grooved, pavement. I did find no scalloping of the front tire in 12K miles (I am noticing some scalloping of my current OEM front tire).

As for wet pavement performance, unless you're a side-stand scraping, knee dragger, I expect just about any tire you can legally purchase will be acceptable. I just go to my preferred supplier, in my case motorcycle super store, and peruse what fits and what's cheap. Currently that seems to be Michelin products.

If you do your own work, tires will be about the third largest contributor to your riding expense with bike cost and fuel being 1rst and 2nd. You can pretty much expect tires to cost about $.01 per mile.

Other than that,I got nothing.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
There are 2 different Bridgestone tyres in the Burgman size one is intended for the
Silverwing, the Silverwing one lasts about 2000 miles longer than the one intended
for the Bugman, I had a Silverwing one on my Burgman and it felt just the same as
the org one, think the Burgman one as a G at the end of it's size.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
My last "Hoop" :D had some cupping and didn't last as long as I had hoped.
I buy tires mail-order and install and balance them myself. The latest rear one is a Michelin.
I run pressures a little higher than the OEM says, with no ill effects.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I tryed a Michelin, it lasted 4500 miles the Silverwing speck Hoop still had about 2000 miles in it with 7000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I use the Pirelli diablos from motorcycle superstore. I get about 8K from them and, IMO, they are MUCH better than OEM in the wet. Oregon has a lot of wet weather...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Unless you can mount and balance yourself, one option might be the dealer. Here they offer free mount/balance with tire purchase. Basically msrp but in the end for time and trouble involved you come out pretty good.

I just wasted a lot of time pricing mounting for tires purchased online and some places wanted as much as $18 to BALANCE them. Think about what your time is worth and do some shopping for total cost before you buy.

Check ebay for owners and shop manuals.

There is nothing wrong with the stock Hoops for the 400.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts