Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of tire conversation for the Burgman 400----and for most I believe the Honda recommended Hoops are the best.

Doing some German research, I find Diablo is not recommended or is typed/proved for Burgman----valid for me, based on my own horrible time with them-----Burgman 400, by basic design is the poorist handling of the current popular Maxis (SilverWing 600, TMAX had both of them and Burgman 650)

Looking at Metzeler, FeelFree, in proper size is approved and tested for current Burgman 400. Since German riding/speed/testing standards are much higher than US, I tend to go with their findings. So will probably try set of FeelFree on my Burgman.....I am within 5000 miles of new tire need. They seem to be priced ok.

Anyone had bad/good experience with them?

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
John, perhaps the reason you're having problems with the Diablo tires is because you have a "Honda" Burgman 400 and not a "Suzuki" Burgman 400? ;) Sorry, I couldn't resist that. :lol:

Seriously, where do you get the info on what tires are recommended or approved for the Burgman 400? All I've heard of is that certain tires are OEM (the Hoops) and others can be used as replacements based on tire size and speed and load rating. If the tire has the right size, and has the same speed and load rating, it is okay to install. Which is why I'm curious on your statement that the "Diablo is not recommended or is typed/proved for Burgman".

FWIW, I have the Metzeler Feelfree tires on my 400 now. I like them. Pirelli is owned by the same company that owns Metzeler. (I don't know who bought out whom.) I thought it appeared like the tread grooves were closer together in pictures on the Metzeler Feelfree than on the Pirelli Diablo. When I parked my 400 next to Doug's 400 at church, we looked at the tires side-by-side. The tread grooves are spaced about the same. Considering the higher cost of the Metzeler tires, I'll go with the Diablo tires for the next tire change. I don't see (or feel) enough of a difference to warrant any extra cost.

Chris

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Germany bikes come with type/make of tire allowed in the title---sounds harsh but good idea for safety-----some bikes come with no special tire recommended, just the size as my 2 stroke MZ's did.

Tire companies do test bike/tire combinations----some simply don't perform to standard. Look at Metzeler.de and you will see FeelFree ok for Burgman 400, new type. Pirelli.de does not show Diablo for Burgman. Good enough for me. Based on my experience with Diablo on Burgman, they are right. My experience is from 57 years of doing this/over 1.5 million miles/ and changing some 250-400 mc/scooter tires. I am not racer/world's greatest in corners(maybe while I am still here) and having owned both engine/rear end go up and down together scooter to solid mount engine--TMAX and SilverWing-----Burgman works fine is normal slow use----add marginal tires and you could have problems---think emergency evasion!.

Want to modify bike/add odd tire---needs TUV approval and entered in title. Keeps junk off the road.

Suzuki did go thru extensive tests with Burgman 400 and came up with Hoop's.

Riding conditions are much different in Germany (I rode 20 years there) aggressive----not the fat guy with backrest and highway pegs and car rear tire you see here on scooters....they would be eaten alive or run over. And throw in lots of wet riding, various surfaces, you get my point.....in Italy, old ladies on 25 year old Vespa 125's smoke you in traffic circles!

I have BSc Safety Degree, confronted with MC safety issues for 40 years------but do think the nut behind the bars is the usual cause, not the tires/equipment----MSF in US only turns out parking lot riders. I have 5,000 miles left on current tires---would like to try Kenda scooter tires, if easy obtain in US. Used them for Alaska trip on late model Honda 750 nightHawk=great, a little slippery in wet mud. No tire trouble. Stuck in Utah, GS500E, tires shot, F & R Kenda K671 mounted=GREAT, ride, comfort handling. Some people don't know/care about feel of bike....I do and have spents lots of money/time getting the experience.
I am always willing to try things---see Diablo experience---get the feel and then use/take/complain about experience.

Metzeler after WWII was only motorcycle tire producer (I think) Pirelli is bigger Co so I assume they own Metzeler. Metzeler and Pirelli are made in many places. For example Diablo, made in Brazil---great on my ReFlex.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
For me the Metzler lastest longer than the Diablo. Fact is they have lasted longer than any tire I have run. The Diablos cost less when you figure in cost per mile, so that's what I've been running. :wink:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I don't have much faith that a recommended tire is necessarily the best tire for a bike or scooter. With the large number of tires on the market, they could not have tested many. They might have tested only a very few and recommended a tire that was "good enough" or one where they were paid to recommend. It would be very easy to choose a tire simply because the manufacturer paid for the recommendation either by money or a steep discount on the OEM tire supplied. Also, tires and most other items constantly change as time passes as different materials and/or techniques are used. The tire originally recommended might be different than the tire currently sold under the same name.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I think the rercomened tire has more to do with what they can get a good deal on than
best for the job, my last bike a Kwaka Versys came with truly bad tires and it
was not only me, no one liked them, in fact the one before that a Vstrom wasnt a
lot better and was transformed by fitting Metzeler Tourance though the Burgman
as been ok on the org tires.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I note that the "Hoops" :D :D :D :D have a lot of solid, un-grooved rubber down their middles.
Wonder if other brands with more tread grooves might be better...
Altho my Hoops :D haven't let me down, riding in a downpour on the highway, with panic stop(s) on wet and dry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts