Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question, but is it normal for the rear tire to wear flat down the middle? I would say 50% of the horizontal cross section is flat.

I do mostly 2 up riding (90%) on a 650 so I don't get into hard cornering. Tire Pressures are kept around 40# in the rear, with shock settings @ #3.

At 3,200 miles should I be concerned?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Jim said:
This may be a dumb question, but is it normal for the rear tire to wear flat down the middle? I would say 50% of the horizontal cross section is flat.
That is typical wear for Nebraska. I've seen a lot of flat-in-the-middle rear tires out here. I think it is because so much of our mileage is put on riding straight up and at fairly high speeds (60 mph +). It's unavoidable. I do seek out curvy roads when I can, but I have to do a lot of straight up riding to get there and back.

Being from New England, where roads seldom run straight, I thought it was strange at first. The good thing, is that front tires don't cup here like they did in New England. Back there, I often replaced my front tire at the same time as my rear due to the cupping.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Almost all motorcycle tires wear first in the middle, especially radials. It's normal.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Which brings up the question of increasing tire pressures to decrease tire wear. After some meditation, but no real-world application, I have come to the conclusion that it's not gonna help. I suspect that you'll just be limiting your contact patch area, especially when hard cornering on an already worn tire, which could prove hazardous. I'm sticking to recommended pressures, as I regularly scrape the center stand and need all the contact patch I can get. I'm looking forward to the results of some of the testing going on out there.

At 5400 miles, I'd guess my flat spot to be 3.5 to 4 inches across, with about half the tread worn away. Fortunately, as the tire wears flatter, it also wears less. :wink:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I have the same flat strip up the middle. Like others have said , it is normal if you do a lot of straight highway riding. I wish my ride to work consisted of more twisties.........just for the tire wear factor of course :lol:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Twisties or not, you'll spend most of your time on the center. I spend plenty of time on the sides, but you couldn't tell it by the look of my tire. Much less wear on the front, by the way.

Steve

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I think the width of the rear radial tire on the Burgman makes the flat center more noticable. The rear tire on my V-Strom doesn't look nearly as flat in the center, but it is a much narrower radial tire. Just a thought.

As for inflation, I am running at the upper limit recommended by Suzuki (41 psi rear) instead of the lower limit of 36 psi. I don't inflate beyond their recommended range. My first rear tire was replaced at 5300 miles and I had run 36 psi most of the time. That seems premature. I'm going to find out if 41 psi does in fact help extend tire life.

·
Registered
498 Posts
This is the reason why sports tyres are often 'dual compound' - especially on the rear. 'Dual' meaning soft rubber on the sides for high grip when leaning the bike through tight turns, hard rubber in the centre for longevity.

I'm now on the wear markers after 5700km (3,500 miles). That makes the standard Bridgestone tyres comparable to something in the median point between BT010s and BT020s, which makes it a Sports touring tyre (with a big 'S').

Jim, I ride the 650 2 up 100% of the time, and it definately feels stable through tight and sweeping bends when loaded - even at an indicated 110mph. Whilst we have to think about two, we can still have fun :wink: and this thing takes it all in it's stride.

Enjoy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts