Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about changing the 650 valve stems! Replace them with an angled stem of 45' or 90'. Especially on the rear tire!

Bill

·
Registered
38 Posts
This problem is even more acute on the rear tire on the Executive model, where the ABS sensor ring, which sits on the left side of the wheel, is almost as big as the brake rotor. These bikes should be fitted with 90' stems.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Right.
I scrape a lot of skin off, on that sensor ring, (it's sharp), when checking my tires.
Sometimes I let out a lot of air when struggling to get my guage in the stem, so that even if the tire had enough pressure when I started, by the time I got the adapter on the stem, I had let out about 10 lbs of air pressure.

The front's a little easier, but not much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tire Stems

Absolutely agree with you guys about the valve stems. Please Suzuki take notice. I was checking the pressure on my 650 and it was a major job for an old man. A 45 Degree angle on the valve stem would make a big difference. But still glad I checked today because there was only 22 psi in front and back, so it should a big difference in the ride tomorrow!! This was the pressure in the tires from new!! So it sure pays to check even if you expect the pressure to be correct with the bike being new from the bike shop.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tyre Valve Stems

I could not agree more with all the previous comments. I mean it is almost impossible to pump up the tyres at a service station let alon trying to check them at home with a stick tyre gauge. Hhurry up Suzuki and fit angle valves to front and rear tyres.

:roll:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I AGREE 100%.

On my 400 especially the back tire I run the risk of getting burned by the muffler. :cry: A few times I have had to drive a short distance up the street to check air pressure at the gas station. Which can be dangerous since I have found my tires to be as low as 10 psi since there are times that I don't ride for a month or two due to weather issues.
I also find that for some reason using a store bought tire pressure gauge does not work at times on the back tire. I end up having to use the gas station gauge to check and I know that gauge is not accurate. This can be extremely frustrating since at the corner gas station it is .50 if I use the air without gassing up. :evil:
Or if it is possible to have valve covers that can indicate whether or not the tire is at the proper pressure. I would be willing to spend the extra money for a set of those.

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
I have an air compressor at home but have never found one in a service station that would work on the Burger's tires. My compressor has a 90° chuck and I got a 90° pressure guage at Canadian Tire, which I carry on the bike. The last time I changed tires, I had a pair of 90° valve stems put in so, no more problem. Sure would be nice if Suzuki saw fit to put ones in like the Gold Wings have.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have 04 650 Burgie & I have never had a problem with rear tire as I always put bike on center stand to check & air tire. I simply get behind bike & air up from left side, no brake components in the way here & is very simple job. Front tire can be much more difficult as it is on pavement & valve stem seldom if ever ends up in the right position. I grab wheel from front & turn by hand, to proper position & air up from left side, as brake rotors tend to get in way. You will need to use a little effort to turn the wheel against the pavement, but after a few times it becomes like clockwork.

Butch

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE!
The executive is so hard to check the air it is a major chore.
Air should be checked every time the bike is taken out but due to the pain and hassle I often skip this important pre ride check.
Just removing the caps is difficult for these obese arthritic hands.
Please install the proper stems OEM, save a life.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts