Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I purchased the above valve extenders for my '12 Burg 400 (Amazon.com). I installed them today using a 12 mm wrench. They are nice and tight.

Is it safe to leave this extenders on for a prolonged period of time provided I check tire pressure every 1-2 weeks? Any issues or problems leaving the extenders in place?

Has anyone had an issue with a stem extender? Is there one type which is superior to another for long term use?

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I have a pair of these to

I believe they are not to be left on while the bike is in motion

I use mine just to check air pressure or to add air them I remove it

It could cause damage to the rubber valve stem if left on

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depending on current inventory, you'll receive either a chrome plated stem (upper left) or a plain brass stem (lower right). Our option. They work the same.

(Photo at left shows the valve stem extension - the camera perspective makes it appear to be 45-degrees, but it is a true 90-degree right angle)

*Note: These extensions are only meant to be used while inflating the tire, they should not remain on the tire during operation of the motorcycle. If you leave the extension on the tire it will cause an unbalanced condition, or it may damage the valve stem, which may cause sudden loss of tire pressure!

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I think better to just get a new gauge that fits the present stem location and a connection on compresor hose that will get on the present stem.

Miy portable compresor has a connection that is difficult to get on the Burgman 400 valve stem, but I manage and it has a presure gauge. Most any air presure gauge is easier to put on than my compresor is to connect.

I sure would not leave those extenders on while under operation.

I wonderd when I had my rear tire off (Burgman 400) if there was a bent valve stem that could be installed as on the Burgman 650 (but, I did not investigate).

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This type of tip seems to work well on the Burg 400. I found this tip and put it on my air compressor hose. I didn't have a gun so the air ran continually but I was easily able to fill up the tires. (as a test I took off the valve extenders and deflated the tires). This type of tip is exactly what we need. The key is to get just the tip with a flexible hose and NOT a large metal wand with this tip. The flexible hose with this tip works best.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ball valve with flexible hose works best. I was able to fit a cheap ball valve to my air compressor hose (quick connect) which made filling the tires pretty easy compared to the usual stem valves.

For those who don't want to spend the money on the Milton (I'll probably end up buying it) all you need is a ball valve and a connector to your hose. Like I posted previously the air will continue to run while you fill the tires but it isn't a big deal as two tires won't take very long.

I found the stem valves ( I own 2 of them) much harder to work with trying to fill the B400 tires. It's doable but more difficult than the ball valve.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PLEWS-TRU-FLATE-17-351-AIR-LINE-COMPRESSOR-1-4-FEMALE-CHUCK-HOSE-FITTING-/120898175421

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1279175&CA_6C15C=112287830

I just purchased the ball fitting from ebay. I'll report back my review. The ebay ball valve is designed for a compressor and should prevent air from coming out of the valve until it is pressed into the tire stem.

Has a built-in shut-off valve and therefore cannot be used on inflator gauges. Use when air supply lines come directly from the compressor with no other valve in the line. Automatic inflators use direct air line chucks.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really appreciate all the helpful posts here since I joined the forum. I hope this thread helps just one member from the torture of filling up his/her Burgman tires.
I'm telling you the simple Ball Valve is the answer to this problem and on top of that it is very cheap.

I purchased a brand new 1.5 HP Air Compressor from HF for $80.00. I got a hose and adapter kit (17 pieces) for a few dollars more. I'm quite satisfied with those items as now I can fill my car tires, scooters, riding mower, etc from the convenience of my garage. With the Ball Valve the Burg 400 air tire filling problem is a non issue.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
If you do decide to use the angled extenders be sure to support the valve stem from behind when you put air into the tire. Pressing against the rubber stem without supporting it from behind bends the stem at the wheel rim and can lead to it splitting and failing.

If you want to use angled valve stems it is better to use the solid metal ones that bolt through the rim like Mike linked to above.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a pair of these to

I believe they are not to be left on while the bike is in motion

I use mine just to check air pressure or to add air them I remove it

It could cause damage to the rubber valve stem if left on
I agree 100 percent. I keep one of these in the tool kit of my 2012 400. I use it when needed and then remove it. I would NOT ride with it installed.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have asked at all of the local auto parts stores for an extender and none of them know what I am talking about except of one for a semi.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts