Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had the occasion to perform an emergency or OnTheRoad tire repair, but just wanted to see what others have in their "tool kit".

This is what I currently use/have:

1) Tire repair kit by Stop N Go ... great compact lightweight kit.
2) Co2 cartridges ... purchased at Wally World for about .50 each.
3) Co2 inflator

The entire pouch is very compact, lightweight and takes up less room than a 12V pump. I've only had 1 flat tire in my 25 years of motorcycling and wanted the smallest/lightest yet competent solution.

Ride on!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I have the standard (not compact) Stop N Go plug kit.

I also carry the CyclePump electric air pump which I purchased from Bestrest Products. It is compact, and works well - but it is expensive (about $80 now - price went up after I bought mine). You can modify one from an auto parts store or Walmart by removing the pump case for probably under $15.

Interesting. I asked one of the older guys who works behind the parts / accessories counter at my dealership if he had ever used a plug kit to patch a tire on the road. His response was "never successfully". He's not much of a conversationalist, but his answers are honest, and I've found his advice on other stuff to be pretty good.

So, I carry a can of Fix-a-Flat too... I'd try the plug kit first - but I do have a backup plan... I have used that stuff before - successfully.

From what I've heard, if your tire bead seal to the wheel rim breaks, it's time to call for assistance. An air pump doesn't generate enough force to reseat it - and CO2 cartridges might not work either. But usually tubeless tires deflate slowly, and you can stop before that happens.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the standard Stop and Go setup as well.

I had the opportunity to use it on my wife's van a few weeks ago and it worked great.

When I brought the tire in for an "official" repair, I asked the guy to let me look at inside it before he yanked it out.

It looked great, all nice and mushroomed out. The guy at a the station said it was the best looking plug he'd ever seen, and probably would last indefinetely. Even asked where I got the setup so he could get one.

I'm convinced that it will work excellent and be a trusted repair.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Warren said:
I have the standard Stop and Go setup as well.

I had the opportunity to use it on my wife's van a few weeks ago and it worked great.

When I brought the tire in for an "official" repair, I asked the guy to let me look at inside it before he yanked it out.

It looked great, all nice and mushroomed out. The guy at a the station said it was the best looking plug he'd ever seen, and probably would last indefinetely. Even asked where I got the setup so he could get one.

I'm convinced that it will work excellent and be a trusted repair.
Warren,

That is an encouraging report!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Just so we keep in mind that current wisdom has it that patched/plugged tires are not safe and need be replaced ASAP.
With that in mine I will use anything that will hold the air in while I get to the shop including a sheet metal screw w/ glue.
--don't laugh I did it once took me 11/2 miles to the shop and saved a lot on the tow, (top speed 15 mph.) :(
Years back we did not have these OnTheRoad tire repair kits. in fact you were lucky if your bike had tubeless tires .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts