Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of changing out my OEM Bridgestone tires .. on my 650 .. 24600KM on the front and about 13,500 km on the rears --

Searching for tires .. I see the Michelin City Grips .. but they recommend only putting on the 400.

Reviews I've read seem split on the Bridgestone TH01 - hard ride, longer lasting tire and the City Grip - softer ride, shorter lasting tire.

anyone have real world feedback on these tires ?

I'm thinking of just putting the OEM Bridgestones back on . but feedback is beneficial.

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
I'm on a set of Michelin Pilot Sports right now and love them.

I'm going with Pirelli Diablos next set -cause something else could be better. After that I'll probably try the Metzelers.

Sorry, no feedback on City Grips.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
I don't remember reading of anyone that has used the City Grip tire on the 650 so you may not get much input for real world feedback on this tire on the 650.

The probable reason the City Grips are not recommended is that they are bias ply tires and the spec tires for the 650 are radials. The tires also only seems to go up to an S speed rating and spec tires on the 650 are H speed rated. A number of folks on this board have run bias tires on their 650 with no issues and an S speed rating is probably adequate for the riding most folks do. You will have to make your on decision on those items. I've done some searching and cannot find a listing for the city grip in a 160/60-14 which is the OEM tire size. I have found them in 150/70-14 which is close enough to work and is a size that has been used by others.

I'm running a Michelin tire on the back of my 650 but it is the Pilot Sport Radial. After experimenting with a number of different brands I have settled on running the OEM Bridgestone on the front and the Michelin Pilot Sport on the back as the combination that works best for me.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Metzelers (Feelfree Wintec) are great tires. I like them very much, better than the Bridgestones. My wife has 8000km on hers and there is not much noticeable wear. Mine is almost new, no thanks to a crew of shoddy roofers who peppered my alley with nails. We tour through the mountains on ten-day junkets of 3500 to 4000 km. Our bikes are usually loaded up with stuff and the twisties sometimes really twist, so the tires get a workout, in all sorts of weather.

The Pirelli Diablos are another very popular tire on all sorts of bikes, as are the Michelin Pilots. Which one you choose depends on your budget, your riding style, and the weather conditions you expect. There are different opinions on which is the best rain tire, for example, and some wear faster than others because they have a softer (stickier) compound, especially on scorching hot pavement.

The Burgman has odd sizes. LeDude has a nice summary of what's available: https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id ... UrSMbqLqrY

HTH
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
The H rating on the spec tire seems like extreme over kill as a Burgman 650 could barely hit 130 MPH falling off a cliff. But it is rated this high so that if you were to travel at max warp speed, 106-115 MPH and were to have to nail the brakes at braking threshold. Its one of those safety items that the Gov mandates. But a tire rated as S will just fit that scenario above but right at the ragged edge. So you have to ask yourself, "Self, Do I feel comfortable with just S rated tires or more comfortable with H?". I can not answer that for you. Just because it works for me, it may not for you.

I have had no problems with Bias ply tires that fit the load range required. The 150/70 SB 14 is just a bit taller and a bit narrower than the 160/60 HR 14. The SB means S rated and Bias Ply. It will bring the Odometer on the 650 almost to exact and the speedo to about 3% if yours is like most of us, Odometers off by 4-6% and speedos off by 8-10%.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Very pleased with the Metzlers FeelFree- great grip wet or dry. The profile in the front may be different for you as it "tips" into the corners - once you are used to it tho you'll love it.

·
Administrator
18,331 Posts
MacDoc said:
Very pleased with the Metzlers FeelFree- great grip wet or dry. The profile in the front may be different for you as it "tips" into the corners - once you are used to it tho you'll love it.
Thats so true. But most people don't like that feeling of a fast turn in. The Bias ply Michilen Gold Standards, Manufacture Disco'ed but some on Ebay, were great but the bike felt like it was falling into the turns. If you have rode sport bikes it is a feeling you get use to. They stuck like glue even wet.

The FreeFeel's are also Bias I believe.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I switched from the OEM Bridestones to the Shinkos and have been very happy with them. Amazing value for a price/performance perspective.

I wouldn't sweat too much about the S vs H speed rating unless you are doing 100+ mph on a regular basis at sustained intervals.

Buying tires is a lot like buying shoes, a very subjective choice. Trial and error is the only way to find out what works best for one's needs and riding style.

good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently bought the Shinkos....the front tire was defective and motorcycle superstore replaced it immediately. It may be my imagination, but I feel it is more responsive on curves and cornering.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Front tire design ( profile ) makes quite a difference on the 650 Burgman as the weight is down low and the tire allows that to come into play.
It is a characteristic I like as I ride the twisties but might be a surprise for the tourist/commuting rider.
But they do indeed stick.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've just noticed the Avon Viper Stryke 160/60 HR-14 rear tyre on the Le Dude website. Like the look. (that and the Feelfree 160/160 R-14 Rear radial) Does anyone have any experience riding on these for their 650? Availability in Australia will be the next question.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
I have not run the Avon Viper Stryke on my 650 but one of the folks I ride with tried them and had problems. The first front tire he put on got a bubble in it after about 1,000 miles and had to be replaced. The replacement was out of round and he never could get it to stay in balance. The rear tire would not seat to the rim and kept leaking. That was 3 or 4 years ago though so they might have resolved the quality assurance issues by now.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The Metzelers are fine tires, softer compound than the OEM Brickstones with very good wet-weather handling. I have them on both my Burgmans.

Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
I did try the Metzler on the back of the 650. I generally liked it except for one handling quirk. When you lean it way over, just before it gets to maximum lean it hits a point where it kind of drops over. It always gave me a bit of a queasy feeling when it did that as I went through a high speed corner. From a wear standpoint it didn't do any better than the Michelin Pilot Sport I normally run and the Pilot Sport doesn't have that handling quirk so I went back to it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks chaps. Decided to go with the Michelin Pilot Sport. Gets good reviews and is readily available in Oz for around the A$140 mark.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
I am on my third set set of tires...OEMs (10,000 miles), more Battlax to 20,000 and I'm almost 5,000 miles on Pirelli Diablos. I love 'em.

DJJTK said:
I'm in need of changing out my OEM Bridgestone tires .. on my 650 .. 24600KM on the front and about 13,500 km on the rears --

Searching for tires .. I see the Michelin City Grips .. but they recommend only putting on the 400.

Reviews I've read seem split on the Bridgestone TH01 - hard ride, longer lasting tire and the City Grip - softer ride, shorter lasting tire.

anyone have real world feedback on these tires ?

I'm thinking of just putting the OEM Bridgestones back on . but feedback is beneficial.

thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts