Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
White Burgman 650 standard
3,156 Posts
THe trouble with much over 40 in the rear is that it will quickly run into over 50 when hot (I have a real time reader ) and anything over about 46 hot gets squirrelly especially on the front.

37 front and 40 rear is where I start and it tends to drift down over a few weeks to 35 and 38 and then I top up.

37 front gets to 41 and 40 rear to about 47 tops on a long run on a hot day.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Because it works for me. I've been riding long enough to get a feel for the tires and when I'm touring it helps mileage..

The tires never stay anywhere near cold pressure

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Rear because it gets hotter but not all lose air.
It's the reason I got the real time monitor so I could always see what was up

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
When I got home in 88 degree weather after a 85 mph run for 1/2 hour the front was 41 lb and the rear 47.
Unfortunately I did not note the internal temps.
( 38 and 40 respectively cold ....the mechanic just filled them the day before and the TPMS confirmed that.

A softer fill would likely
a) get to the same pressure at those speeds or even higher due to extra heat.
b) run hotter

This is a general comment on tires but it applies to the Burgman as well...

-Lower inflation numbers (28-35 psi) will give you a soft, smooth ride but your tires will run hotter and your fuel economy will suffer. -
You are very likely to end up with the same pressure at speed but have more heat which is brutal on that rear tire.

The Shinko was at 41 cold the first PA run two weeks ago and it stepped out a bit in the twists.
I was taking it easy in the twists this time with only the front brake to rely on but the front stayed nicely on line tho I missed having the rear to work with. Was interesting practice and sure pointed out how useful the rear brake is especially at low speed.

For reference.
New Shinko ( bought a spare )

Have ridden this about 6,000 km

Kids - sport bike tire.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Glad you don't have twisties in Florida.

You have no idea what those tires are at after you've run the expressway for an hour.

Those "recommendations" cover riding conditions from below freezing to 120 F.

Do you really think one set of guideline pressures will serve for all conditions???

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Great stuff - Marv - I'm trying to get a 71 year old into a 400 Burgman ( he's ridden dirt in his past so not a total newby and he's fit and strong enough.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.