Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual says to inflate the front tire of a B400 to 25 and the rear 29. Does it matter if I put more psi in the tires? Like 27 psi to 31? I guess it's important to have at least a 4 lb difference between the front and the back.

Also a big thank-you to the guy who said to adjust the tension springs to 9 clicks. What a difference that has made for me in tight cornering. The increase in tire pressure and the stronger tension does not make cornering feel so spongy. Maybe it's just my imagination but it really feels a whole lot tighter.

Evelyn

·
Registered
806 Posts
I run the front tire at the recommended pressure, no more, no less.

Now about that rear tire...

The manual says "29 for one passenger" but this, IMHO, is a bit low. They consider one person to be about 150 pounds or so, and I am over 200. They call for 41PSI for two people. For me by myself, I "split the middle" and put about 35-36 in there. The only thing this will do is extend the treadlife of the tire. The only drawback is a bit rougher ride.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Evelyn said:
The manual says to inflate the front tire of a B400 to 25 and the rear 29. Does it matter if I put more psi in the tires? Like 27 psi to 31?
The issue with running the tire pressure too high is reducing the amount of contact the tire makes on the pavement which would reduce your traction.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I put the recommended 25 psi in the front and as bechtoea mentioned the rear is more flexible, through trial and error I found 35 psi for the rear tire a good compromise for me.

I will not over inflate the front tire, not only do you lose traction, but tire wear is increased and in extreme over inflation the tire could explode.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for your reply. I immediately ran out and let the air out of the front tire to 25, but have kept the rear at 31 cause I was too lazy to change it. I will do some more cornering and if I think I need to go softer, I will let out some more air.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I ran mine front tire at recommended pressure and the front developed cupping. I changed to 30 in front and 40 rear. I plan on doing the same on my new 400 "S".

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks Roy, I might crank up my front as well.

Oh, and checkyour email..

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
If your running your tires "by the book" keep an eye on them, they will wear out faster and you will see cupping. An increase in tire pressure (with out going over board) will not decrease traction, and it will increase handling.
Theses are not auto tires they are made to run more on the center treads (going straight).

·
Registered
226 Posts
No one has mentioned tire pressure gage errors or pressure at different temperatures. I installed this pressure monitoring system on my RV and could not believe the difference ambient temperature made.The sun on one side of the truck made 5 psi difference 30 minutes after sunrise.

My brother, father and I compared the 7 gages we owned and at 32 psi ,we think, the gages varied by up to 5 psi. Get a good gage with a bourdon tube and test against someone else occasionally.

Oh yea I'm running 28 front, 35 rear on a 60 degree morning if my gage is accurate. Lots of two up riding at 270 all up weight.

Rick

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guy's I cannot believe the difference in opinions on tire pressure. I am more confused than ever :? I am concerned about cupping in the front so I guess I will put 27 in the front and 31 in the rear. I hope that will help.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Eyelyn, use the opinions as a reference, decide what you think is best. Wear out the first set. See what happens to them. That is how you figure it out.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info guys. How long does it usually take to wear out the tires :?: I know a lot depends on the rider, but on avg. about how many miles. How does everyone like the Pirelli tires compared to the Bridgestone?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
My rear tire was bald at 7200 miles. Don't know how I'll like the Pirelli's yet. I'll let ya know at the end of this week when they're installed.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I got right at 9000 on the first set (OME hoops), I switched to Pirelli's and the rear tire was gone at 5000 miles. Back to Hoops 5+ still look OK.
All of which does little to answer your question I know. But just to many variables.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My experience so far

I still use the original set and they look fine after about 6000 miles (9100 km).
I am not sure about the availability of Pirelli (for the burgman) in Israel.
I am using 30 front 32 rear (I will change to 35 on the rear).
Do you know if michlin is making tyres for the Burgman 400 ?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Re: My experience so far

Bendi said:
Do you know if michlin is making tyres for the Burgman 400 ?
Looking at the Michelin USA website, they list the GT in the correct sizes for the Burgman 400 and the Pilot Sport SC in the correct sizes for the Burgman 650. You'll have to check if they're available in your area. For more information see :

Scooter Tires on two-wheels.michelin.com

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
When I sold my '04 B400, it had about 7,500 miles on the rear OME Bridgestone and was ready for a new tire. The front was OK, but had some slight cupping. I was going to replace it also so the tires matched.

A riding buddy got about the same mileage on his rear OME Bridgestone, but the front was cupped bad (used recommended psi) and he replaced both of them with Pirellis. He has replaced the rear twice and has been getting about 5,500 miles on the rear Pirellis (32 psi). He is getting ready to replace both the front (32 psi) and rear.

When it is time to replace the OME tires on my new B400 S, I will ????. The Pirellis are cheaper than the Bridgestones and the Bridgestones seem to get a flat area in the center of the tire quickly. But the Bridgestones get a little extra mileage. As of today, I guess I will go with the Pirellis. Maybe we will have another choice by then to complicate things more.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Come on Roy...you don't keep a scooter long enough to change the tires.

:):):)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I just called Michelin USA - Consumer Relations Department to see if the Burgman tires were really available in the US as listed on the website. Of course they aren't available here for the 400 nor the 650. :evil: If there's enough interest, they claim they may import them in the future. If you want to request them you can call at 1-800-847-3435, email them via their web page at http://michelinman.com/mastapp/servlet/ ... dContactUs , or snail mail them at :

Consumer Relations Department
P.O. Box 19001
Greenville, SC 29602-9001

1 - 20 of 27 Posts