Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As others have noted, my 650 was delivered with 20# front tire and 25# rear tire. I inflated front/rear to 36#/39#, respectively. After about 2 weeks I checked the pressure again and both tires were down about 2#.
Is this loss normal and/or why did it happen?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
103 Posts
not me

Although I had a lot of trouble getting air into my rear tire - delivered with about 35psi, I just checked before my first long ride and the pressures are holding steady.

Keep an eye on this - could be a valve stem with a slow leak.

Al

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I am sure you know to check the tire when there cold, but also keep in mind 2 lbs is not much and just sitting in the sun could give you a different reading.
But that said I agree with Al, keep an eye on them just to be sure

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Gases cannot be contained forever. The type of container & the size of the gas molecule & the pressure will determine how long the gas can be retained.
I forget the term but eventually the gas will penetrate the wall of the container. The most obvious example of this is a child's helium filled balloon. The wall of your tire is much thicker & the gas molecule is much larger but this is what happens over a much longer time span.
In addition you lose some air every time you check the pressure.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
BS said:
As others have noted, my 650 was delivered with 20# front tire and 25# rear tire. I inflated front/rear to 36#/39#, respectively. After about 2 weeks I checked the pressure again and both tires were down about 2#.
Is this loss normal and/or why did it happen?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Given that the same conditions prevailed (atmospheric temp and tyre temp) then I would not expect a 2 psi loss in 2 weeks. Were you using a digital gauge (same) each time? You could easily lose an apparent 2 psi in parallax error on an analogue gauge. Anyway - all things being equal look to see if you do have a problem.

Brush some soapy solution around the wheel rim/tyre bead interface and the tyre valve.

You may have to get a tyre jockey to reseat the bead.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. When the tire pressure was checked, the conditions were the same; garaged and had not been riden that day. I used an analog gauge not digital. I will keep checking and will have the dealer check the tires Thursday when I take the sooter in for its initial service. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
gruntled said:
...I forget the term but eventually the gas will penetrate the wall of the container....
Osmosis through a semipermeable membrane.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I run 41 psi both front and back in Angel's Burgy. Got 15,000 on the first set of tires. The back tire was worn down flat (Like a cage tire) but the front tire could have gone a few K miles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the dealer could find nothing wrong and since then the tire pressures have remained steady. Still playing with the settings currently running 37/39# front and rear, respectively, and the shocks in the #3 position. Ride seems comfy and controlled. No tire wear showing...771 miles so far :lol: !!! 15K seems a long way off, but I've got time.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Bill Trammell said:
I run 41 psi both front and back in Angel's Burgy.
I'd think it would ride like a rock with 41 psi in the front tire. Suzuki's recommendation is 33 psi, regardless of load. I do sometimes run mine at 36 psi - because that is Suzuki's recommendation for the V-Strom front tire - and I forget that the Burgy is different sometimes when adjusting pressure on both bikes. 41 psi is recommended max rear tire inflation for both machines - so it is no problem keeping that straight. :roll:

·
Registered
80 Posts
In my limited experience, I have always gotten maximum tire life running at the max inflation marked on the tire. Tire pressure is like "what is the best oil" on these threads. I run the max on my GoldWing which seems to be the consensus from more experienced riders. I know that the lower the pressure, the more heat buildup.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I've had good results over the years running about 2 lbs. over the bike manufacturers recommended tire pressures for the different load conditions. Tire wear has never been excessive or uneven and handling has been satisfactory.
Running the max. tire pressures marked on the sidewalls, in my opinion, give a overly stiff/harsh ride. It also reduces the tire's "footprint" giving less traction in any given condition. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
What about the t pressure 4 the 400

any advice for us slower burgmans? or just go by the manual and how about that rear shock does it ever stop when turning counter clockwise?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: What about the t pressure 4 the 400

Jonny said:
any advice for us slower burgmans? or just go by the manual and how about that rear shock does it ever stop when turning counter clockwise?
Hi Jonny

Follow the manuals recommendations for tyre pressures.

Edit: I have just edited the rest of my response because I see you from your other post that you have a 650 not a 400.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts