Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question...When ordering a tire from over the internet say for example from Bikebandit.com,where do you guys usually take them to be mounted to the rim?

·
Administrator
18,748 Posts
Question...When ordering a tire from over the internet say for example from Bikebandit.com,where do you guys usually take them to be mounted to the rim?
I know, not much help but, IN MY GARAGE. I even do my own bikes Car Tires.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I have a local guy that specializes in MC tire installs, but he hates internet tires; he wants you to order from him. If you bring one in, he puts you at the end of the line for the day. Ugh.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Not everyone has such a garage :D

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Brought a loose rear wheel for the tire change to a local stealer and shelled out $53. Not sure if i can balance it myself in the garage. But they did not a very good job too, rims have some marks now whether from machine or balancing weights' older place.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cycle Gear shop charges $30 fee plus valve stem, disposable fee and tax. Total comes out about $45. There are three shops around Houston.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a local guy that specializes in MC tire installs, but he hates internet tires; he wants you to order from him. If you bring one in, he puts you at the end of the line for the day. Ugh.
Is quite fair for those who doing business.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Similar to corkage fee, if you bring your own wine to dinner at a restaurant.

What really surprises me is that it is apparently common in USA to have to pay for the installation of a tire that you bought in the installing shop.
In Europe it's most common to get the tire installed on a rim you bring in if you pay the tire's MSRP. And you don't get any discount if you just want to take the tire with you.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Most m/c stores will install, just call ahead, also the price will be lower if you take the wheel off, about $35 -40 off, think double if on the bike.

Also some shops can match the internet price if you ask.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
My local Suzuki dealer installs mine but not all shops will. So want you to by from them.

Some online dealers have setup networks of dealers that will install tires you buy from them. Motorcycle Superstore has such a plan. You can go to their website and find dealers in the area that will install their tires. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/preferredinstaller.aspx I suspect those same dealers would be willing to mount tires you have purchased from any dealer.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If I bring my wheel and new tire in the to the local shop installation is $20, the other local shop charges $45. I use to mount my own tires on my old riva but have found mounting tires on the burgman using spoons on the floor was to big a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Some auto tire changers for alloy wheels can install the tires. I take my wheels and new tires to a local auto tire dealer and he changes them for me for $10 each. They cant balance them but they are normally smooth anyway. Also, I sometimes put dynabeads in them.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where I live in Houston we have these kind of tire businesses all over the place.
Anyone see any issues with using these "off the road" tire business?

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts