Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. I have 2,500 miles on "Ranger" (a SILVER Burgman
650)and am planning on a 5,500 mile trip in about a month. What kind
of tire mileage can I expect? Should I plan on making arrangements
to have tires available at a certain point of the journey? I am the
original "Mr. Hefty" and weight 250 lbs, travel without a passenger
but take the kitchen sink "just in case", and keep the tires near
their maximum sidewall pressure. What do you folks in the braintrust
think? (Pardon the cross-post but I need the input!)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I am replacing my rear tire at 5300 miles. It could probably go another several hundred, but I don't like to push it. I weigh 225, and usually run 36 lbs pressure in the rear, which the manual recommends for 1-up riding (41 is max recommendation). My front tire is still in very good condition.

I would say you will definitely have to replace the rear tire during the journey. The front tire will probably be OK. I'd plan on doing the rear tire swap in the 5000 - 5500 mileage range. My dealer ordered a Pirelli rear for me (much less expensive than the Bridgestone) and it took about a week for him to get it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
tires

i've got 7600 on the original tires. the rear is still not down to the wear indicators. i run 40-41 psi since i do a lot of two up riding. wife and i together wiegh 290 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
2,900 Miles riding 2 up most of the time. 38-39 lbs in the Rear I have changed to 42 lbs., I've noticed wearing in the center of the tire is flat about 2 1/2" , then the curve up along side. At this rate 5,000 - 6,000 to replacement.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tyre life

Greetings Dudes,

I'm replacing my rear tyre in the morning - 14,500 km (36 psi normally and I'm a lightweight, not on the throttle though, no feathers on the edges of those rubbers)

It's down to the tread wear indicators and it's the rainy season now.

Also starting to get a little twitchy at low speed, so it's due for a change.

Standard Bridgestone - $225 Australian dollars fitted and balanced.

Wonder if I'm getting ripped off. I'll never know unless someone tells me.

Front tyre is in great shape.

nev

·
Registered
67 Posts
I could not afford to own a motorcycle if I lived anywhere else but the USA!!!. I'm getting a new rear Pirelli radial for $37.90. Mounted and balanced for an additonal $22.50 (I will bring the wheel to them. Also add 8% sales tax)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Scootertrash and his lovely wife came over from Tularosa, NM to Bisbee, AZ a couple of days ago. We had a great visit and they attended our Wednesday night motorcycle club meeting. He now has 8K miles on the rear and it appeared to be down to the wear marks, but we all opined he could get home OK, about another 350 miles.

SSS and I ordered Pirellis - two fronts and two rears - and got a great price. I forget what it was, but something like $60 a tire. In the wonderful world of motorcycle tires, that's cheap.

I wonder when Metzler will step up to the plate and make tires for the Burgie. Metzlers are my favorites. They kept my face off the tarmac many a time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Could someone in the good ol' you ess of A tell me the designation and size of the rear Pirelli??
I'm about to replace my Bridgestone rear at 17000km with a Pirelli GT 24 BUT, it is a 150/70 NOT the 160/60 . It is actually the tyre fitted to the older T MAX (new T Max now has the AN 650 Bridgestone fitted). I'm doing this for cost reasons...A$87 versusA$243 Phew!! Of course if it don't work I'm 87 bucks out of pocket !
Bazza

·
Registered
747 Posts
Bazza,

You'll find the profile (70 over 60) will change total diameter and change gearing (starting point), be it for the better or not ???

That should make gearing higher, which could be ok for long trips, you could use Power to take off with may not be as quick of the mark !!

Greg ...

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Greg said:
...That should make gearing higher, which could be ok for long trips, you could use Power to take off with may not be as quick of the mark !!
Who knows -- it might even correct your speedometer error!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, the diameter of the 150/70 is 11mm bigger than the 160/60 so I should barely notice it. Paul, i'm outa here to check out the Pirelli site, looks like the they have added some new sizes since I last looked. As Italy sells more 65o's than anywhere I guess it's only logical Pirelli would want a piece of the action.
Bazza

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wow, two posts in a row (does that constitute a fence ??)
Paul, I've just been onto Pirelli Italy and USA but neither mention 160/60-14. in GTS24. Can you confirm that your Pirelli is a Radial? The 150/70 which I am going to have fitted is NON radial....the handling may get rather interesting.
Bazza

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wow, two posts in a row (does that constitute a fence ??)
Paul, I've just been onto Pirelli Italy and USA but neither mention 160/60-14. in GTS24. Can you confirm that your Pirelli is a Radial? The 150/70 which I am going to have fitted is NON radial....the handling may get rather interesting.
Bazza

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Bazza,

It is definitely a Pirelli GTS24 - and it is definitely a radial. I just went out to the garage and double checked the model number. Companies don't always update their websites promptly with all new products. My dealer had it in is catalog, ordered it from his distributor (I'm not sure who the distributor is), and it took about a week to get it.

I would not mix a radial and a non-radial. They don't recommend that with a car - I'd be even more cautious on a scooter. The handling characteristics of the tires are different.

I just checked. Oneida Suzuki lists the tire on their website.

https://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/xcar ... hp?cat=612

·
Registered
140 Posts
Spot on Paul, at 69 cents for one of our banana dollars to a greenback it would cost me $A60, cripes, I reckon I could have it shipped across the Pacific for a lot less than a Bridgie!! ($A243)
Bazza
Thankyou muchly.
P.S. Hey Perth DUDE, have you seen any alternative tyres here in Oz ??? or just the Bridgestone ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thought you might be interested in the following...As previously mentioned I have now fitted a Pirelli GT24 150-70-14 to the rear wheel purely for reason of cost (one third the cost of Bridgestone). The Pirelli is of conventional construction,ie NOT radial but has a greater load rating than the Bridgestone. It is just about 3/4 inch larger diameter than 160-60-14.
So far it's all systems GO..
1. Rides much softer (only 32psi + more air)
2. Looks better,more "chunky"
3. Can't detect any handling difference (at my speeds)
and get on the next two..
4. Speedo error is now only 5% fast (Brian was right)
5. Much easier to get the machine onto the centrestand (due to higher rear axle height)
What I have done is probably illegal as this tyre is not shown on the tyre placard but unless something untoward happens.....
I'm laughing.
Bazza.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Bazza said:
...4. Speedo error is now only 5% fast (Brian was right)...
Well, that should go without saying. :D

Be aware that now your odometer, which was probably within 2% accuracy, will be off by 5 - 7%. It will show fewer miles than you've actually ridden.

That could cause you to run out of gas if you think you've only gone 285km and it's actually been 300.

Should be good at trade-in time though. :wink:

On the other hand, you might see an improvement in true kilometers per liter, since you'll be going slightly further with each revolution of the new tyre than with the old. You'll have to measure using known distances or GPS now that your odometer is off.

Please let us know your thoughts and impressions after you've ridden on the new tyre for a while.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts