Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey... just wondering what u guys get out of the various tires in miles... i bought my b400 last yr with 9500 miles and the tires were already replaced by the last owner... dunno y they were replaced or at what miles, but they looked fairly new when i bought it... i'm guessing they were changed between 8500-9000 miles... i just hadda put a new rear on at 12,800 because it was worn to the cords... it was a Pirelli Diablo... dealer said most scooter tires only last about 4-5K miles... is that true??

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
My '05 400.....
about 15,000 on front tires...
rears about 12,000......
got a new rear tire on its way
right now at 49,xxx miles.
Some areas of the country have
a much different asphalt pavement
than I have to deal with, so mileage
for those riders will sometimes be
a great deal less.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I get 10k to 12k on both for the 400 and I ride aggressively. I use Dunlop scooterline. Excellent tire.

The 650 is a lot different. 5k rear and 8k front. So Shinkos on it. Cheap, but decent.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
As said the mileage will vary from rider to rider and in what part of the country you live. If you only use the rear brake to do most of the braking that too will have obvious results. I get 9-10k per rear and 15k from the front.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Depending on how you drive, many factors affect tire life:

How you ride (ie, your speed, how you corner, accelerate, and brake)
Your weight (ie "loading" on the bike) and weight of passengers (if any) and other equipment.
The type of tire (bias or radial)
The tire manufacturer.
The tire model.
The rubber compound composition (this falls under mfg and model) but its possible to get a defective tire that wears prematurely.
Terrain
Road Surface composition (concrete, asphalt, coral compositioin, rubbrized asphalt, etc)...grooved or otherwise rough roads.
Type of roads (freeway, secondary roads, backroads)

Having bought my 06 650 in June of 08, with just over 1200 miles on it (I was living in Sierra Vista, AZ, in SE Arizona), that OEM set lasted till about 10K (I replaced both tires). THe second set (Bridgestones) lasted, probably 6,000 miles (I'd have to go back and look at my records or prev messages here)...I think the third set I had were Pirellis (and we're now in OH). 650 has 26,000+ on it and I replaced just the rear tire last summer with a Bridgestone.

SO it all depends.

hey... just wondering what u guys get out of the various tires in miles... i bought my b400 last yr with 9500 miles and the tires were already replaced by the last owner... dunno y they were replaced or at what miles, but they looked fairly new when i bought it... i'm guessing they were changed between 8500-9000 miles... i just hadda put a new rear on at 12,800 because it was worn to the cords... it was a Pirelli Diablo... dealer said most scooter tires only last about 4-5K miles... is that true??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so this diablo was a dud... i put on a shinko... lets see how long this lasts... i had good look with shinko's on my last bike...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have a little over 7K on my rear{and Burg for that matter} and it is time. I could maybe squeeze another thousand out of it but it would be very thin. Needless to say I have a new City Grip on order.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
For a while my tire mileage was distance between nails. So far I've seen:

On the rear
OEM - 11K til it was worn out.
Michelin PP - 10K and I was seeing some threads
Michelin PP - 9K and it was worn out no thread
Michelin PP - 9 K and a nail
Michelin City Grip - 11K and it was worn out no threads
Michelin CG - 12K and about to be replaced in the next K or so.

On the front
OEM 17 K - scalloped enough to replace
Michelin PP 17K and a nail never scalloped
OEM 16K - scalloped
Michelin CG - 11K not a sign of scalloping, no end in sight yet. Might need rebalancing

The nails in the Michelin PP tires both occurred in separate incidents about 3 weeks apart. One was a screw the other a biga$$ staple. I thought I had caught a case of bad karma. I'm currently sold on Michelin City Grips. Not stylish but very capable and, from my experience, very good wet or dry.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Diablo's are not known for longevity if memory serves me. Try another make/model

1 - 14 of 14 Posts