Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Maybe you could stop by Discount tire for a "free" air check.

I did the other day. The attendant was courteous and had no problem bendng down to check and inflate the tires on my motorcycle. He said that if he rode a motorcycle he would bring it in for someone else to check air and infiate the tires.

I am not an employee or otherwise for discount tires.

·
Registered
806 Posts
quack said:
couldn't have made ergonomics of checking and inflating tires worse!
Here is your solution. Look up on Ebay part number 290651601393. It is a calibrated valve cover that tells you when your tire is low on air. I use them on all my vehicles. They are only $2 each including shipping. You order the air pressure you want as long as it's an even number. I have 34 PSI in front and 42 in rear. You only have to look at the valve cover to know if your tires are low.

Only warning is the first time you see the yellow ring you are low on air.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Marv said:
quack said:
Here is your solution. Look up on Ebay part number 290651601393. It is a calibrated valve cover that tells you when your tire is low on air. I use them on all my vehicles. They are only $2 each including shipping. You order the air pressure you want as long as it's an even number. I have 34 PSI in front and 42 in rear. You only have to look at the valve cover to know if your tires are low.

Only warning is the first time you see the yellow ring you are low on air.
Very similar to what I had on my Burgman. :) Kept me from running my tires too low.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My take----if you are riding a 2 wheeler-----your responsibility to not only check air pressure but condition of tires. Might keep you alive---no gadgets for me.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Well.... you can't always tell by looking if the tires are low. That is a problem for those with radial tires especially.

You should check for wear, nails and other objects that could be in your tire before mounting the bike.

I always look at my tires, but I have also found that the TPMS on my bike is very accurate. If something feels a little different, I can do a quick check via TPMS before pulling over to take a look.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
quack said:
An Intersting concept.

Ergonomics might suggest that to make checking tyre pressures more convenient the bike should be upside down. :lol:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
To check pressure- need a "pencil" gauge with a slightly angled port, have to sort of fish it through the brake rotor (front). Rear is just awkward.
To add air- use a chuck with rt. angled head. Just cannot get a straight hose to work. Nor my hand pump at home. :(

First time was a pain. After that, not too bad.

·
Registered
806 Posts
convertfromVespa said:
Well.... you can't always tell by looking if the tires are low. That is a problem for those with radial tires especially.

You should check for wear, nails and other objects that could be in your tire before mounting the bike.

Funny you should mention that. I got my first flat in 25 years yesterday. I was going into a restaurant and thought I saw a pebble in the tread on the back tire. I tried scooping it out with my finger nail. Took a closer look and saw a nail. The nail actually went in head first with the pointed end sticking out. The tire had about 5500 miles on it and was just about worn out. My mechanic refused to plug it. He is an independent mechanic who has many Burgman customers thanks to me I could have had it fixed but felt it would be safer to just replace it. Soooo I now have OEM tires front and rear. I wanted to try a Michelin but he already had what I needed in stock.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
/\ Be grateful you were not on the road! Had my first and only flat in San Diego "rush hour" traffic, while splitting lanes, about 16 years ago. On my Harley. Fortunately, a slow leak. But still a pain...

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I have been delinquent with checking my pressure lately and for that matter, my tires too. I ordered the pressure caps and checked the pressure before I screwed them on. 20 psi in both tire. AH!! Lazy. I bought the 28 for the front and the 30 for the rear. They don't pop until the pressure goes down 4 psi. Two things crossed my mind. For a couple of dollars each; how accurate are they and how reliable? Since the cap now holds all of the air in the tire I have put my safety in the hands of a $2 part. Hmmm. Rethinking this move. :?

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Hammer said:
I have been delinquent with checking my pressure lately and for that matter, my tires too. I ordered the pressure caps and checked the pressure before I screwed them on. 20 psi in both tire. AH!! Lazy. I bought the 28 for the front and the 30 for the rear. They don't pop until the pressure goes down 4 psi. Two things crossed my mind. For a couple of dollars each; how accurate are they and how reliable? Since the cap now holds all of the air in the tire I have put my safety in the hands of a $2 part. Hmmm. Rethinking this move. :?
definitely need to keep up the pressure checks and bike maintenance too, underpressure can be the worst, causes performance issues, uh we're talking tires now dangit ! and 4 psi can really be a big difference , there's a turn on my trip back to the house from the gym, that if my tire pressure is low , I hit side stand maybe someone else can verify this since I am bikeless at present and cry about it all the time

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
to mikeymarine,
GET A BIKE!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Could someone please tell me where I can find a chuck with a right-angled head for use with my compressor? I have a 45-degree angled chuck, and it's really a pain to add air without bending the valve stem.

Thanks.

--Andy

·
Registered
42 Posts
A lot of the folks on the list have gotten right angle valve stems. I installed mine when I changed tires last, and they make checking tire pressure and adding air the simple procedure it ought to be. There are several threads on the subject. Just be sure to get the kind that attach to the rim with a nut on the inside, not the kind that pull through.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58134

There are a lot of choices. Here are the ones I got. I'm very pleased with them.

http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=574

You want the 113.3 mm size.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I looked at it on E Bay. The four lb tolerance is too much. My tires get 25 front & 28 rear. What do you guys think about getting 28 front & 32 rear caps so that it will be closer to being correct when 4 lbs low?

Richard L.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
OK. I put about 200 miles on the new caps. 28 front and 32 rear( I think). The rear cap is fine. The front cap indicates a rim of yellow but upon closer examination...the center of the cap is missing!!? The tire feels good, so the pressure did not fall quickly like a blown valve but something failed. I did't have time to pull it and get a closer look at it yet but I will tomorrow. :roll:

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Angle valve stems are the way to go. I bought a set from e-bay and installed them when I replaced tires. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts