Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All

In about 1500 more miles I am going to be needing new rubber for the Burg. I must admit that I don't know what to go with. Like many of you my Burgman is not my only bike so I spread out my riding with the other machines somewhat- especially the Goldwing. And while the GW has been a member of the Darkside ever since its original OEM back tire was gone I just am not all that sure that I want to do the same to the 650. Really, there was like almost zero difference going from a MT to a CT with the Wing. Took like 5 miles to get used to it. I like the idea of getting lots of miles out of a back tire but wonder if the pains (if there are any) are worth the gains.

And if I should decide to stay with scooter rubber for my scooter what brand is generally regarded as the best to use? And if I go dark, what is the favorite CT?

Still pretty new at this Burgman thing so as always, all replies are appreciated!

Oh, and yes- I have used the search feature. I just want some fresh ideas is all.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Well only thing I can say is my CT has 5k on it now & looks the same as the day I mounted it. OEM was worn out at 7,500 miles. As they cost double what I paid for the CT to me it's a no brainer. ;)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must admit that I am leaning towards the darkside, but some of what I have read about getting the CT mounted and getting the bead to seat has worried me just a tad. I wish that I knew someone around here that would do it but I don't. And don't wish to pay for a CT and not be able to use it.

Back in the day of all tubed tires I always mounted them myself as it was really easy to do so. Now it aint quite the same way and when you want to have something out of the ordinary mounted it's worse yet.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Everyone gets to decide thresholds of safety for themselves. Riding anything on two wheels (and no huge gyro, lol) is already an order of magnitude more hazardous and unstable than a four-wheeled cage.

So while I will never put someone else down for going 'Darkside' (or not wearing a helmet, as I did for my first ten years of riding) I will never even consider that possibility. Motorcycle tires don't last as long partly because they have more grip than automotive street tires. That grip may save my life some day and I am only willing to compromise on the difference between sport and sport-touring tire design (which often has better cold and/or wet grip anyway).

Somewhere from this site I wrote down the top recommendations of Bridgestone Battlax TH01 front and Michelin Pilot Sport SC radial rear.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
So in your mind, using a car tire, which may or may not have a little less grip in an extreme situation (and has proven to have more in many everyday situations) is taking a risk comparable with not wearing a helmet, which will most likely result that even a minor crash could mean brain damage or death?

Sound like smokers comparing the proven effects of smoking with the risk of being hit by a falling roof tile when walking down the street.

·
Registered
182 Posts
ErikDK: Gee, that's not what I got from the posting from Penforhire. What I got from it was he would not personally use a Darkside tire no more than he would consider riding without a helmet..... But if you choose to, go ahead... I am not sure where you got the Cigarette and roofing tile analogy from... Kind do out there guy...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The falling roof tile analogy is used in my country to dismiss the risks of all kinds of dangerous behavior. "I think xxx is dangerous. Yeah, but you could also get killed walking down the street by a tile falling from a roof"

I think they should make an anti-smoking ad showing smokers happily walking down a street while tiles fall from the roofs, hitting half of them.
The interviewer asks: "Aren't you afraid of getting hit by a falling tile?"
The smoker answers: "No, smoking is going to kill me anyway, why should I refrain from the pleasure of taking a walk?"

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had a c/t mounted on my GW and on my Honda 250 Reflex and now on my Burgman 650. I have more grip on the road with a larger contact patch and have found no compromise when cornering. Yes the bead was a PITA to set but my installer was patient and stuck with it. My Bridgestone Potenza should save me more than 500.00 over it's lifetime over an OEM and without compromise to safety.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I don't necessarily disagree with your analogy, of smoking versus a roofing tile falling on you.. (Must be huge tiles in Denmark). So, what you are really saying is, you have to die from something whether that be from no helmet, running Darkside tires to a roofing tile falling on you... I mean it would be horrible laying on your deathbed dying from "NOTHING". That would be embarrassing.....

By the way, I was in Aalborg once, Beautiful city, beautiful countryside... If I return, I will be mindful of those pesky roofing tiles...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I've replaced the worn-outfront tire Bridgestone TH01 F with a newBridgestone SC 1F Ecopia
The new tire is much more pointed/triangular than the old tire, even when the old was new, and there's not the same harmony with the rear car tire as there used to be.
I'm going to re-install my original rear wheel with a half-worn Bridgestone TH01 M to see what that brings.

A typical Danish ceramic or concrete roof tile "tagsten" (roof stone) measures 10" x 15"and weighs 10 lbs

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Getting tires unseated is always a pain, and I can't imagine a CT being easier to unseat, more likely harder, and not possible without the proper tool

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't put people down for their choices but at least make a correctly informed choice. There is no way a car tire, when leaned over toward the sidewall, has as much traction available as a motorcycle tire. Car suspensions are designed to keep the tire tread in contact with the road as their suspension compresses. It is well understood that strongly cambering tires can help compromised suspensions in a turn but then they sacrifice braking/acceleration traction.

It is possible to have more traction with a car tire when it is level but I also doubt even that. Contact patch area is not defined by the width of the tire. It is defined by the normal force (weight pressing into the road surface). Also softer compounds, which m/c tires have, will fill (grip) surface irregularities better than a harder compound. Unless you are thinking of 'R-compound' racing tires? In which case you should again compare to the traction of racing tires for m/c's.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Now those tiles are lethal weapons. I can see your point. If you do crash with no helmet and survive, or run Darkside tires and Lowside (for example) and don't get hurt... I would be one cautious person as I entered my front door.... LOL

·
Registered
182 Posts
I believe the best thing to do is go to Youtube.com and do a search on Darkside tires.. Lists of videos there...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe the best thing to do is go to Youtube.com and do a search on Darkside tires.. Lists of videos there...
That was what helped me to make up my mind to mount a CT on my GL1800. That along with several thousand of fellow Goldwingers that had mounted them to their bikes with complete satisfaction. I have to admit that I still get a bit of a chuckle out of those that call using a CT on a Goldwing as dangerous, yet they are unable to provide even a single case where it caused an accident- much less where someone got killed from using one.

The one that I have mounted is a Michelin Alpin PA3 ZP. The ZP standing for "zero pressure" which is Michelin's way of calling it a run-flat tire. If I lose pressure suddenly while riding my bike down the interstate at 80 mph not only will I not lose control of my bike (like one would be much more likely to do with conventional MC tire), but I will even be able to ride it to a dealer or even home. Try that with a conventional MC tire!

Get this- millions of miles have collectively been put on Darksiders such as myself with nary a single blemish. That in itself is the main reason that I am planning on mounting one on my Burgman as well.

All I need to know now is which one to buy I think. It's hard to give up the safety and confidence of being a Darksider.

·
Administrator
20,090 Posts
In all of the Darksiders on Burgmans, Only one member has crashed and DIED. His name was Bjack. The witness said his bike got into a bad wobble as he was passing some cars and he flipped out into the shoulder and died. The investigation was pointed at his front tire that had a bulge. The investigator knew that there was a car tire on the rear but no comment in the report about it.

You can NOT make a naysayer understand that a car tire has as much tread in contact with the road in a hard over corner as a motorcycle tire. They will never ever admit it so I give up on them. Like i have said, it is amazing that the naysayers fore fathers left the old country and did not fall off the edge of the earth. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Do want to know with passenger, how do CT handle constant twisty road in mountain for many mile non stop or road such as Tail of Dragon as exemple.

·
Registered
182 Posts
When it comes to Darkside tires I am well.... Sort of on the fence. On one hand I have a regular M/C tire, albeit an overpriced expensive one, that was designed for a motorcycle. It is a Dunlop Elite 3. My bike takes a 180/60R 16. The cost to install it is also highway robbery as well. I could have as much as $400.00 into a rear tire. (Victory CCT) I usually ride 8,000 to 10,000 per year, but that is between a few bikes. A rear bike tire on my tour bike lasts me about 2 seasons the front a little longer. The reason I am on the fence is this, I know I can get my rear tire at almost any M/c dealer. It is the same as a Goldwing and a few other big bikes, but if I am in the middle of nowhere Montana, or stranded on the loneliest road in a small Nevada town... I would use Darkside tires without question if they would do the installation...(and had the tire).... But to Just switch and go Darkside would take a leap of faith that I am not quite prepared to jump at. There has been some great discussion on this thread from Roofing tile Karma to Darkside tires...I am satisfied they are a well made, safe tire and perfect for their intended application, "AND" so far, a reasonable substitute for the rear of some two wheelers. Currently I choose to utilize my options and continue using the manufacturers recommended tire... And to all Darksiders out there, Keep posting stuff about your experiences (and non-experiences like handling in rain, cornering, twisty roads and so on..) utilizing D/S tires.

Ride safe ya'll

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
And if I should decide to stay with scooter rubber for my scooter what brand is generally regarded as the best to use?
To answer one of your questions and not go off on motorcycle vs car tire the OE Bridgestones. I have never tried the Metzlers or Michelins but I have the Pirellis. While the Pirellis wear more even the are both bald with cords showing by 5,000 miles. The rear bridge stone I can usually get around 9,000 miles out of replacing when the first tiny part of cord shows. I use my bike to commute about 15 min so I don't mind squeezing all I can out of them. On the front I can usually go about twice the distance of the rear though it has choppy wear.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts