Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

tire "Cupping"

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  john grinsel 
#1 ·
Noticed that my front tire is "Cupped" all along its periphery.
about 12,000 miles, might be the original.
Checked the TP, it was about 22, so I put 26 psi in it.

Is "cupping" related to low TP? Even a few pounds. I know that the front carries only about 250-300 lbs. cruising. (Except for the weight transfer during braking).

Continuing to ride it, there is no vibration etc. and it tracks straight.

#3 ·
YESSSS! "Scalloped" is exactly what it looks like.
There is a lot of tread left, do you think a re-balance would help?

#4 ·
mike1nw said:
YESSSS! "Scalloped" is exactly what it looks like.
There is a lot of tread left, do you think a re-balance would help?
It won't prevent or reduce the scalloping, it is normal wear for a bike tire--running higher pressure will generally lessen it, but nothing will eliminate it.

Here is a great write-up regarding motorcycle tire wear...

#5 ·
Front cupping has been around a long time----hazard? You have 5 year old OEM tires, I would change them out on age alone---think wet slippery.

Fix, in the days of interchangeable wheels=simply run front wheel on rear and tire would wear round---you could do this with Vespa, HD,BMW, etc, German scooters. Too bad those days are gone...even easy rear wheel removal then, too. Now fix, throw away. I think I will get 20,000 out of OEM Hoop on front of my Burgman, right now at 15,000 plus. I run 26-27 cold pressure, balance with "Ride On" which keeps tire/wheel in constant balance over life of tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.