Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you do-it-yourselfers had success changing tires on a 650? A friend of mine & I used his DIY setup, which works tolerably well for 17" bike tires, but we couldn't get the second rear tire bead over the rim. Ended up at the local CycleGear, where the guy said "are you sure this is the right size tire? It's really hard to spoon on!" (Yes, it was a Pirelli 160/60-14.)

So it looks like a tire change is a little out of reach of guys armed with a bead breaker and some tire irons, unless there's a special technique we didn't know. Next up: valve check. But it can wait for a thousand miles or so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
:evil:

It took a saw to cut the tire out and four guys (1) fat one and two long pry bars to install it back on the rim. It was not fun...but i save money doing it myself.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Due to the small diameter of our wheels they are tough to put on. I took mine to a small shop and the guy installed and balanced both tires for $20. Definetely worth it as I watched him struggle with the rear tire. I actually had to lend a hand on the rear.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Tyres Breakin N Remakin

Front or rear.>>>>Remove valve core and (two people or one strong, ambidextrus hominid) place tire, not rim, between vise jaws. Tighten till the bead breaks. Rock the assembly away from the bead that didn't break. Voila!
With the tire and rim still in the vise, you can spoon over the top of the rim. The vise helps keep the bead in the center of the rim.

Mounting is a bit tougher. I have a compact spare (GM Saturn w/ the "J" hook and wing nut) mounted to the garage floor, dish side down. With the rim centered and pulled down on this and some silicone spray lube, I can spoon the first side on easily. The second requires holding the bead depressed into the center of the rim with both knees as I work the spoons around. It really isn't as hard as some changes I've done. Ever seen a 10" tire and rim doing their impression of a frisbee?????? Bless Vespa!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts