Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about anyone else, but I find checking the tire pressure very fustrating...with the twin disk brakes plates on each side of the tire, I have to do a contortionist act each time to put the guage. Also, the design eliminates many of the possible places in which one can use the tire pressure systems due to the space limitations.

How does anyone else handle this and/or have a good workaround to suggest.

Shiro Jin Rider

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
My air compressor has a 90-degree elbow right at the stem with the press-down lever to seal to the valve stem. Built-in guage is pretty accurate so i just use that, top it off and release. Hardest part for me is getting it out, unwinding the cord, plugging it into the glovebox and getting the valve at the bottom of the wheel. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I purchased two replacement valve stem caps which are actually little pressure sensors which turn green/yellow/red depending on the measured tire pressure compared to the PSI they're expecting. They're preset to certain PSI's so I selected two which were appropriate for the tire pressures in my 2 tires. Unscrew the plastic caps, screw these in. With a quick glance, as long as they're green your pressure is good. If it's yellow you're getting a little low and if it's red then fill immediately.

Nothing takes the place of good manual preventative checking -- like all mechanical components these could fail giving you a false positive, but for an everyday quick glance, you can't beat these for $4 each at your local motorcycle parts counter.

·
Registered
484 Posts
This has been mentioned time and again on this and other
boards. When changing tires put in angled valve stems. Not any help now, but it will then..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wiz,

I took my Burg to the local Les Schwab, showed the counter guy the problem and he came out with a right angle extender. Since he liked the Burg, the extender was free. I only put it on to check pressure and inflate the rear tire. Works fine and the price was just right.

habu

·
Registered
350 Posts
I took my Burg to the local Les Schwab, showed the counter guy the problem and he came out with a right angle extender. Since he liked the Burg, the extender was free. I only put it on to check pressure and inflate the rear tire. Works fine and the price was just right.
habu[/quote]

Habu, I and about 2 dozen others have been screaming for those right angle extenders. I have never heard of Les Schwab. Is this a national chain? Can you get me a phone number or email address or some way for me to contact them? Don't PM me as I'm not trying to hog a secret. Just post it here. As I said, there are many others looking for 45 or 90 degree valve extenders. Nobody can seem to find any. I know I have tried everywhere I can think of.

Thanks for checking and letting us know

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
C'mon habu, hook a brutha up!

Please?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Buzz said:
...I have never heard of Les Schwab. Is this a national chain?
They are a big chain of tire stores in the Northwest, famous for their customer service, much like Nordstrom (another Northwest-based company) is among department stores. They're a regional, rather than national chain. (They started in a small town in Oregon back in the '50s.)

I went in to one of their stores once in my truck, with a punctured Goodyear tire, and asked them if they could add enough air for me to get to the Goodyear store a few blocks away. Instead, they repaired the tire at no charge, and just asked me to buy my next set of tires from them. (And I will!)

Here's a link to their home page:

Les Schwab Tire Centers

Unfortunately, if I enter the ZIP code for Janesville, WI into their store locator and ask for the 10 nearest locations, I get stores in Idaho, Utah, etc. The closest one is 1148 miles from you. They may be able to help you locate a local source for angle adapters, though.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I found a source for chrome, right angled valve stem adapters, $2.20 ea plus shipping, which is UPS only.

Here's the URL:

http://patchboy.com/Merchant2/merchant. ... _Code=VS-6

I have ordered 10 of them, I plan on keeping 4 & the rest I'll make available to members here.

·
Registered
350 Posts
YOU DA MAN Wyldman :!: How'd you stumble on them. I've been surfin the net for 6 weeks trying to find something like that, not to mention stopping in at or calling every auto parts store and cycle dealer within 150 miles.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Wyldman said:
snipped
I have ordered 10 of them, I plan on keeping 4 & the rest I'll make available to members here.
I would like to get these - searching for UK source now! :cry:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Food for thought on angled valve stems

Many bikes that have stock angled valve stems also come equipped with a Valve Stem Holder. It is a small plastic piece with a hole in it that attaches to the wheel. The valve goes through the hole and is supported by this holder.

This piece is needed to prevent the rotational forces of the spinning wheel from "bending " the valve stem and potentially causing a crack or tear to occur where the stem mates to the wheel. Adding additional length or weight to the valve stem would increase this potential.

I have no idea how valid the above is, but it would not hurt to check your valve stems once in a while for signs of wear.

Another option is http://www.aviationupgrade.com/airvalve.html

I found them at Wally World $10. Installed on the Wing and Burger King for about a year, I double check pressure with gauge monthly, so far no problem

Bill

·
Registered
30 Posts
We picked up a pair of 90 degree extenders. They seem sort of long, but we'll see how they work. We WILL :!: be switching to 90 degree valve stems with the first tire change - on both scooters. :D 8)
BTW It's official! A new silver 650 is out of the wings and in the garage. We put on 235 mi bringing home from the dealer and have an appt for the 600 service next Saturday. Guess I'll have to do a little riding this week. :D

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
malahy1501,

You make a good point, however I never had any intention of operating the bike with them installed. My intent was to screw it on when needed & remove when done, at least until I mount a new set of tires & have proper angled valve stems installed.

Nan,

Congrats on the new baby! That's great!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hey Nanette - congratulations on the new acquisition - but as Paul would say - check those tyre pressures. :wink:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am a bit puzzled as to the problems discussed here. I have not had any
difficulty whatever in measuring the tire pressure on my 650 nor in filling them on the rare occasions when they need air.

To measure the tire pressure, all you need is a pressure guage with the
valve stem head at right angles to the gauge stem. These are readily
available in various sizes and prices at any automobile supply or parts store.
As for filling the tires, the standard pressure head found at service stations
seems to fit just fine, although putting on the valve stem is a bit cramped
compared to a standard car rim.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
& that's the point of the discussion. I've had difficulties getting the proper amount of air in the tire & then keeping it there when I check them. The right angle adapter will eliminate that problem until more permanant measures can be taken, ie: proper angled valve stems installed at the next tire change.

I'm finding that the tires don't take long to fill, & getting the correct pressures requires a bit of trial & error. Nowhere near like airing up the 295x45x18's on my truck (which are the stock size for that truck), which take quite a while as they are rather large.

I have cut up my knuckles on the brake rotors for the last time!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts