Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my new ride for 4 days and now have a better understanding of the Burgman Grin. I just want to share my observations about this wonderful & interesting machine.

Pros

1- Acceleration is unbelievable for a (scooter) and starts @ the most minute throttle inputs.
2- Rides like it's on rails and is very stable at highway speeds (Still breaking her in and haven't gone over 70mph).
3- A joy in the twisties, once put into a turn she stays there and gives the rider a strong feeling of confidence whether on the highway or back roads.
4- For me the seat is very comfortable.
5- The electric screen is a blessing, to be able to raise and lower it as I did yesterday when it started to rain is priceless.
6- Manual control of the transmission works great and adds another dimension to the ride.
7- The electrically retractable mirrors are way cool and will come in handy if I get the nerve to filter through traffic (still getting use to her GIRTH).
8- Even though the bike is much heavier than my 400 it is hardly felt (see Cons for exception) and I find is as easy to put it on & off the center stand as the 400.
9- @ 1st it was annoying but in a short time have already come to love and use the engine braking to my advantage.
10- The brakes are excellent (not to sure about the abs part yet and really hope I don't find out) from what I'm use too.

Cons (Yes there are a few)

1- I love the view of the brake levers through the mirrors. :?
2- Wish the MPG was better but then again it is 650cc's not 400cc's and am OK with it.
3- Limited view of what is directly behind the bike through the mirrors (need a work around).
4- Why can't they make the darn grips thicker, they fit my 8yr old daughters hands perfectly (I got my grip puppies in the mail the same day I picked up the bike. Must put them on ASAP).
5- Gas door is very fragile.
6- Glove box is a little small.
7- Stupid gas cap, why do I need the key to put it back on. (Makes it look like you are peeing into the gas tank not to mention you need small hands to do it). :?:
8- The tires make a ton of noise and transmits some vibration to the rider, will look for different shoes when the time comes.
9- Suspension is a bit harsh.
10- The weight becomes more apparent when entering corners/turns causing the machine to push towards the outer part of the turn/corner (Need to remember this and make adjustments sooner)

Quirky Things

1- She makes a unique sound that is all her own and am trying to pay attention so I can understand out of the ordinary noises should they arise.

Closing notes: I was initially going to make a comparison to the 400 but found it not possible to do so as they are totally different machines.

Note to Daboo: The 400 is an excellent machine and does what it does extremely well and I still love mine but already know I will be spending most of my time on the 650. If you think the grin factor is big on the 400 you should play with a 650 for a while, your grin will increase by a factor of 10.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Mine is still "new".. 4 months old and 3600 or so miles.. and I can't get over how much I ike the ride.. agree with your points.. I turn the key in my gas capbefore I put it in the filler hole, then release the key.. a lot easier than trying to thread it in..

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
A well thought out synopsis. :thumbup:

Have you tried adjusting the mirrors? It is worth persevering even though are quite resistant to being adjusted the benefit is they stay set.

Best mirrors I have had on a PTW, YVMV. :wink:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NormanB said:
A well thought out synopsis. :thumbup:

Have you tried adjusting the mirrors? It is worth persevering even though are quite resistant to being adjusted the benefit is they stay set.

Best mirrors I have had on a PTW, YVMV. :wink:
I have them adjusted as to where the view suites my needs but I will try adjusting them further. The view is better than my 400 in one respect but worse in another.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing I forgot to add in the Pros column is the headlights are far better than that of my 400.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I've got my mirrors adjusted and can see a little of directly behind me in each of them.

I recently took a 1,500 mile ride (spread over 4 days, 2 out, 2 back) and was fairly impressed at my fuel mileage averaging about 54.5 mpg (highest was 59.9, lowest 50.2). She seems to do best in OD around 71mph indicated (65 mph true speed). On my commuting she averages around 43 mpg though.

The gas cap I leave the key in it until I put the cap back on (don't forget to).

Pretty much for suspension, grips, seat, windscreen, etc there's plenty of mods/aftermarket stuff for. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Greets Keith,

Congrats on the new purchase. I'm sure you've now come to know first hand just how unique a noise symphony the 650 makes. It will take some getting used to establish what is the "norm" through all of that but you do get used to it. Seeing behind is one gripe I've always had, especially with side cases. Though you can put in a backup camera and screen up front if it's too bothersome. Just finding a screen that's bright enough for that is the tricky part.

As for the suspension, take a read through this thread :wink: -> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28244

If there's anything you can't find amongst the forums feel free to pm me anytime. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MJR said:
I've got my mirrors adjusted and can see a little of directly behind me in each of them.

I recently took a 1,500 mile ride (spread over 4 days, 2 out, 2 back) and was fairly impressed at my fuel mileage averaging about 54.5 mpg (highest was 59.9, lowest 50.2). She seems to do best in OD around 71mph indicated (65 mph true speed). On my commuting she averages around 43 mpg though.

The gas cap I leave the key in it until I put the cap back on (don't forget to).

Pretty much for suspension, grips, seat, windscreen, etc there's plenty of mods/aftermarket stuff for. :thumbup:
Thanks for the gas cap tip it makes so much easier and like you said you wont forget it behind. :thumbup:

Some Mods will have to wait otherwise the boss will have me sleeping in the garage with both the 400 & 650 and barely enough room for a cat to sleep. :lol:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TechArtGuy said:
Greets Keith,

Congrats on the new purchase. I'm sure you've now come to know first hand just how unique a noise symphony the 650 makes. It will take some getting used to establish what is the "norm" through all of that but you do get used to it. Seeing behind is one gripe I've always had, especially with side cases. Though you can put in a backup camera and screen up front if it's too bothersome. Just finding a screen that's bright enough for that is the tricky part.

As for the suspension, take a read through this thread :wink: -> viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28244

If there's anything you can't find amongst the forums feel free to pm me anytime. Enjoy the ride!
Thanks Sean. I'm getting use to the noises and enjoying the power of the beast, I can't wait for the break in period to be over so I can head north of 4000 rpm's.

Hope to see you next year, Be good.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
InfernoST said:
One thing I forgot to add in the Pros column is the headlights are far better than that of my 400.
:scratch: What year was the 400?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
10- The weight becomes more apparent when entering corners/turns causing the machine to push towards the outer part of the turn/corner (Need to remember this and make adjustments sooner)
Get on the binders harder early and then you can hammer out of the turn with the Power button on.
I find the engine braking with the power button plus heavy on the binders going in and late apex seems to work best for me.
Carrying speed deep into the corner - especially anything with decreasing radius or rough pavement can be nerve racking but howling the binders early and then accelerating out......on rails as you mentioned.

Keeping key in the gas cap works - I just put the cap on the seat with the key in it - fill up and away I go - it's a bit fiddly but gets smooth with practice.

Your vibration may not be tires - I found my 2009 Exec got smoother over time as did my 2005. Early in the mileage both had some vibration. The 2009 is now silky at 20k.

My choice of tires is Metzlers - been very pleased with both sets.

Oh yeah - the gloves boxes including the lower one go in a long way - it's not evident on the lower one how far the right side goes in.

You get to rely on the engine braking so get to know the speed ( about 5 mph or lower ) where it lets go as with a 600 lb bike that can surprise the heck out of you at an awkward time on a slope.
Feathering the brakes at all times in slow helps reduce the risk of that - luckily there was a wide grass verge when the tranny released on rather steepish downhill into a campground. **** bike takes off right quick on a steep downhill when the CVT lets go.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Interesting, did they revise reflectors in the 650 from 2002 or botched up the 400 in 2007?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
You see, folks are usually sayin' that newly designed reflectors focus the light better than the older ones. This is how they justify for example that the new smaller single light will still illuminate better than the double bigger floodlights. (I admit, I never understood it fully).

Anyway, given that the 650's lightening system was released in 2001-02 and the 400's in 2007 I wonder how the former can be better by wide margin.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bolzen said:
You see, folks are usually sayin' that newly designed reflectors focus the light better than the older ones. This is how they justify for example that the new smaller single light will still illuminate better than the double bigger floodlights. (I admit, I never understood it fully).

Anyway, given that the 650's lightening system was released in 2001-02 and the 400's in 2007 I wonder how the former can be better by wide margin.
Now that I understand the question, the reflectors on the 650 at least the newer models are larger than on the 400. I immediately noticed the difference when I took the bike out in the weeeeeee hours of the morning going to work.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MacDoc said:
Get on the binders harder early and then you can hammer out of the turn with the Power button on.
I find the engine braking with the power button plus heavy on the binders going in and late apex seems to work best for me.
Carrying speed deep into the corner - especially anything with decreasing radius or rough pavement can be nerve racking but howling the binders early and then accelerating out......on rails as you mentioned.

Keeping key in the gas cap works - I just put the cap on the seat with the key in it - fill up and away I go - it's a bit fiddly but gets smooth with practice.

Your vibration may not be tires - I found my 2009 Exec got smoother over time as did my 2005. Early in the mileage both had some vibration. The 2009 is now silky at 20k.

My choice of tires is Metzlers - been very pleased with both sets.

Oh yeah - the gloves boxes including the lower one go in a long way - it's not evident on the lower one how far the right side goes in.

You get to rely on the engine braking so get to know the speed ( about 5 mph or lower ) where it lets go as with a 600 lb bike that can surprise the heck out of you at an awkward time on a slope.
Feathering the brakes at all times in slow helps reduce the risk of that - luckily there was a wide grass verge when the tranny released on rather steepish downhill into a campground. **** bike takes off right quick on a steep downhill when the CVT lets go.
I've been hitting what little twisties we have locally and am now becoming much more comfortable and adjusted accordingly, It sure is a hoot getting through and out of the corner.

The engine braking is cool but difficult to manage when crawling along and the clutch just releases then you apply a tiny bit of throttle to keep the momentum and she snaps you back into your seat.

Thanks for the heads up on the down hill, that didn't come to mind. :thumbup:

·
Administrator
18,336 Posts
I've been playing with these 650s for a few years now. I have tried everything to get there the fastest. I bet a tank of gas I can get to 60 MPH or to the end of a 1/4 mile first if you use the power button AND I use the manual shift to almost redline in each gear. Just come on over. :twisted: Now the power button is great for twisty hills, don't get me wrong, it has a purpose.

Once you learn to trail the rear brake just a bit and lightly give it some gas in a slow tight corner its a blast. You NEVER want to get off the gas and hit engine braking in a slow corner or you'll be polishing the asphalt with your arms, butt, back, helmut,.... :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts