Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When riding down the interstate at an indicated 75 or 80 and need to slow down it's easy to forget you are in OD or 6th gear especially when you're used to riding all the time in automatic. At what speed should you down shift or go back to automatic to avoid lugging the engine. In manual what speed does the transmission downshift. I forgot today and came to a stop and look at the dash and I was it 1st gear.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
As long as you are not trying to accelerate back up to speed it doesn't matter if you downshift or not. If you do start to accelerate and the engine bogs down or is having trouble pulling back up to speed then you best downshift or switch back to auto.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yes.. I did that today... no biggie.. I just push the yellow shift engage button again & it goes back to "D"...

·
Registered
573 Posts
If I slow to a speed I need to down shift for, I just put it back into auto mode until I reach a cruising speed that I want to switch into manual mode for. When I down shift manually, I sometimes do it too early or too late. Then I just end up getting some tire chirp or lugging of the engine. I know that can't be good for anything. If I plan on shifting manually as I accelerate after stopping, then I just let it shift back to "1" on it's own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts