Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past, several of my biker friends have suggested that regardless of miles, tires that are 6 years old or older should be replaced. My 09 Burgie (bought in 2010) will be approaching that milestone. What is the general concensus? Should I replace the soon to be 6 year old tires? Oh and it's the original battery also. Is there a new battery in my not to distant future as well? Snow makes me think of maintenance. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just go five years but cannot do that on a scoot just the RV. I need to buy tires yearly on my scoot due to wear. As they age they get hard so traction goes away. They do not cost that much to replace every five years for your safety are they?

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
A lot would depend on how much, and how you ride.

If you ride aggressively, replace them. If occasionally, you should be ok.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Knowing the manufacture date of the tires on your MC is very important. Some manufacturers are beginning to lengthen their tire warranty in terms of years, but any MC tire over 5 years old needs to be closely inspected for "checking," sidewall cracks, or other evidence of aging. Any MC tire over 7 years old likely should be replaced, regardless of how much tread it has left. An old tire can fail from the inside out, and any blowout on an MC can at the very least cause considerable damage to the MC. It may also cause loss of control and a serious accident.

The picture shows the code numbers you need to be aware of on your tire sidewall. This code is required to be on every tire sold in the United States, and will normally be found on only one of the two sidewalls near the edge by the wheel rim. The number will begin with the letters "DOT," and end with a 4-digit code indicating the week and year of manufacture. The example in the picture indicates the tire photographed was manufactured in the third week of 2004. Note that if the tire was manufactured prior to the year 2000, the date code will be only 3 digits. The first two indicate the week, and the third digit is the year. For example, 039 would indicate a manufacture date in the third week of 1999.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I had 2008 with original tires, and there ws still plenty of wear left, but theRe were cracks in the tread, and they were very noisy. I just replaced them, an amazing difference , much quieter, plus my stress level dropped :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
My '06 650 Burgman is still running the original battery and front tire. Both to be replaced in the near future due to age, but are functioning fine at the present. It has around 13,500 miles on it. The front tire looks like it could go several thousand more miles, no cracks or checking. And the battery checks out fine and starts the bike every time. However, I am starting to check prices for replacements.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I just bought an 650 k5 that still had original tires. I replaced the rear when it was gone, but I'm still running the front. It's fine. The bike was always garaged, though. My tire guy inspected and said its good.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
I just bought an 650 k5 that still had original tires. I replaced the rear when it was gone, but I'm still running the front. It's fine. The bike was always garaged, though. My tire guy inspected and said its good.
So your front tyre is 8 years old! Even if that tyre had never been used and been stored properly I would never have it on my ride.

Have a look at this. http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/local_news/investigations/Local-shops-sell-years-old-tires-as-new and this
http://www.tiredefectslawyer.com/aged-tires.php

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
So your front tyre is 8 years old! Even if that tyre had never been used and been stored properly I would never have it on my ride.

Have a look at this. http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/local_news/investigations/Local-shops-sell-years-old-tires-as-new
Like I said, I had it inspected by a guy that specializes in motorcycle tires. That's all he does is MC tires, nothing else. And I will definitely replace it sooner rather than later.

I was just answering the question. Obviously there's a comfort level each must answer on their own.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
My 08 had the original tires when I bought it earlier this year, so 5 years old when I got it they were already 5 or 6 years old. The rear was almost ready for a change and the front still looked very good. I changed them both out after I got some good use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts