Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day:
Well it’s that time ( rear tire and barring change) -- got all the parts in -- 2008 Burgman Exec. With 10,000 Km’s on her.
Best as I can tell tread depth is --1-2 mm. Time to change for peace of mind and safety. Planning on a short highway trip - 300 Km’s. I have done all the long trips at a younger age , now I only ride when (my) time is right
(Total satisfaction). OK, now for a question:
The nut on my rear axle does not have a cotter pin or even a hole for it so, is just the proper torque enough. ( could rank as a dumb question ,but , I gotta know ).
Having Professor Le Dude beside me during the job via click of the mouse brings peace of mind, again, Thanks LeDude.
Wish me luck. :lol: :D :thumbup:
Thanks -- Captain Nemo 1

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
My 09' does not have a cotter pin on the rear axle nut and having taken the rear wheel off several times and re-torqued to factory spec it hasn't loosened afterward yet so torque alone will be sufficient if it was designed for it. I think my own is 72.5 ft/lbs but need to crack the manual to check that.

·
Premium Member
14,229 Posts
My 07 650 has the cotter pin, but when I assisted Robin pulling the rear wheel on her 08 400 it had that type of nut. It is made in such a way that it is self locking so once it is torqued it will stay.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
They changed it, must have been from '07 to '08 and I think the torque spec is different, should be in the service manual addendums for '08-up.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You: TechArtGuy -- Buffalo -- MJR -- I've been changing the rear tire, put the two new barrings sealed both sides and I went with the H - hi speed ,also changed the final drive gasket. I've been a busy boy for a few days , now for the test ride tomorrow and hope nothing leaks or makes noises. :lol: I'll post back with the results. Thanks again. :thumbup:
Captain Nemo 1. :D :D

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
they changed the nut getting rid of the cotter pin later on....

I just thumbed through the entire addendum sections from 05 through 09 models, didn't see any new torque values for the rear axle..
I don't know if there is a new torque value for 09+ models, my service manual doesn't have those addendums.

maybe somebody else can double check.

page 16-41 for the 07 model has an updated general torque chart similar to this one:

torque chart 03

at first glance, comparing the old vs the new I didn't see any differences in torque values.

the 08 addendum only covers the rear brake caliper assembly and what's different in terms of removing / installing it, etc...

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I just checked my 09' service manual and there was no mention of the axle nut in the supplements so the old value of 72.5 ft/lbs still applies.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
TechArtGuy said:
I just checked my 09' service manual and there was no mention of the axle nut in the supplements so the old value of 72.5 ft/lbs still applies.
Correct in the newer service manual the illustration on page 9-52 shows both styles of axle nut with the same torque spec.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good Day :
Thank you also -- Le Dude-- TechArtGuy - and - MJR -- for stepping in, this means I did everything right. If it takes me another four years to ware out another rear tire, I dont know if I'll be able to take the wheel in for the tire change, so I think i'll start saving now..... :lol: :lol: :D :thumbup:
Thanks..... Captain Nemo 1 --------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts