Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are topics on here about hauling our Burgies - I've been reading the forums on hauling our Burgies and found some good info out there - but I have a specific set of questions to ask.

http://www.tilt-a-rack.com/tilt-a-rack-610acr/

1) Anyone using a Tilt-A-Rack on a carrier hitch to haul a 650?
2) How hard is it to load on the Tilt-A-Rack (loading that fat-butt scooter on that tilting rack - is it easy or is it a challenge?)
3) How are you tying it down on the rack without hurting the tupperwear or handlebars?

Just bought a fifth-wheel and want to take my 2007 650 along with us on our travels. Would like to have a carrier hitch installed on the rear of the 5r and carry the scoot there. The Tilt-A-Rack looks like one of the best solutions I've seen for doing this (don't want to tow an additional trailer on the back of this 38' 5r. 2009 Dodge 6.8l Cummins towing, so weight not an issue - just don't want the annoyance of another trailer behind).

Any and all inputs appreciated!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I used to own a tilt a rack, made out of steel. I liked how easy it was to load a bike, but out on the hwy, it seemed like the rack would rock around too much for me to feel confident throughout the trip. And that was with a 200 lb TTR125L dirt bike. These hitch haulers are really only good for dirt bikes, or bikes no heavier than 300 lbs. Don't go by what those hitch hauler MFRs post up as their max. weight. When you add in the dynamic forces applied to the tongue during transport, the bending moment will surely result in metal fatigue along the hitch post.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
You do not want that much weight on a single receiver hitch point. You would want a three point type hitch. Also you will need to check the specs on your 5th wheel unit to see if it's rear frame can support that much weight behind the axles.

This sight has some examples that might give you some ideas.

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html

·
Registered
255 Posts
+1 on the swivel wheel setup. I've not seen that before, that's a darned good idea!

Greg

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I got one of those rear racks for free with a scooter once . The one I had wasn't as nice as the one above , it was the older type without the wheel chock . I tried in once and then sold it on Craigslist for $50.00 , that was the best offer I had in several months . And that's the good part of the story , read on for the bad .

First off if this thing has only one connection to the rear bumper as into the trailer hitch , it will be all over the place when riding down the road . For a set up like that you would need 3 trailer hitches , maybe even more for a 600lb bike . It gets worse .
Look at the tie downs how they go nearly straight down , those will loosen up so fast it will make your head spin . Every time you stop and take off that 600lb bike will be all over the place .

To make one of these work properly for a 600lb bike you would need a really good rear suspension on you truck . Then this thing would need to be hooked to the frame in at least 3 rock solid places to keep it from teetering . Then you would need rock solid wheel chocks both front and rear so the bike could not under any circumstances move even a fraction of an inch . When a bike is sitting on one of these carriers the forces created by the truck carrying it are immense . I think it works some thing like cracking a whip , so if the entire thing along with the bike isn't bolted down rock solid it's all over the place . Now if that's not bad enough , try to imagine your self getting your 600lb bike on and off that thing .

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I used a Tilt-a-Rack on my pickup truck
to haul my Honda Ruckus. It was not a
good experience...it is the main reason
I bought a trailer to haul my heavier
Burgman 400.
If...a big if, the rear frame members of
an RV are stout enough for a motorcycle
style lift, then that may be a possible solution
to your needs. I really like the idea of the
swivel-wheel platform, but if it will limit you
to where you can travel, then other solutions
may be your answer. This is where 'toy-box'
travel trailers have become so popular.
Fold up the table & rear bunks, open the rear
door/loading-ramp, & put your 'toys' inside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts