Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2005 400. It has 13,500 miles on it. When I checked the valves, the intake valves were fine but the exhaust valves were very tight (.002) I don't know how long the bike was operated with such tight clearances, and was concerned about any damage that could have happened (burnt valves, etc).
Any ideas or suggestions?
I am recuperating from surgery and have only ridden the bike once, from the sellers home to mine, a distance of 25 miles. The bike seemed fine on the ride.
Am worried about long term affects of the tight valves.:confused:
John Holbrook in Blanchester, Ohio

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Checking the compression and monitoring the vacuum will to some extent tell you the current condition of the valves.

It is probably OK if the engine ran well; and you did the correct thing by checking/setting the clearance. However unless you are prepared to pull the head and inspect the valve faces and seats, there really isn't any point in worrying--it is what it is, just ride the scoot and time will tell...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I contacted the previous owner(my cousin, who is a very honest person).
She took it to Suzuki at the recommended service intervals and they told her the valves didn't need to be checked until about 14,000 miles! I think they didn't want to bother with it, or they had it confused with the 650.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Cliff is right, not a whole lot of sense in worrying about it if the bike is running OK. Only way to know for sure is to pull the head. If you do have a burnt valve performance will degrade over time and you will have to do that anyway so just ride it and see what happens. If you want a little comfort factor and you have the proper equipment then do a compression and/or leak down test.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I contacted the previous owner(my cousin, who is a very honest person).
She took it to Suzuki at the recommended service intervals and they told her the valves didn't need to be checked until about 14,000 miles! I think they didn't want to bother with it, or they had it confused with the 650.
It really doesn't matter whether the dealer just didn't care or couldn't tell the difference between "400" and "650"--either way they are ąssholes who should be shut down--and Suzuki wonders why there sales are down the tubes?

This is why I turn my own wrenches...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't trust dealer service departments any more than I trust an automobile dealers service dept.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason I had surgery was, my 27 year old Suzuki Cavalcade's brakes locked up while I was going 60 mph. I got it stopped safely, but at the last second, it leaned far over. I pulled the big girl up and tore the ligament in my left bicep. Ouch.
The Cavalcade weighs over 800 pounds. I sold it next day. and bought a Burgman from my cousin! I had the Cavalcade 14 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts