Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 burgman 400 acceleration is horrible but once gets up to speed runs great just had spark plug and belt changed is the a tick over switch and where is it located

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some one told me there was a pin or switch that might get pushed in when you have bike on center stand that keeps bike in 1st gear

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
churt05 said:
Some one told me there was a pin or switch that might get pushed in when you have bike on center stand that keeps bike in 1st gear
I think the 650's may have something like that (though I thought it prevented any gear), however the 400s do not have "1st" or any other "gears"--just the CVT ratio which is mechanically dictated by engine rpm, the variator roller weights, and the torque multiplier in the driven pulley.

On our scoots, the 400s, there is no centerstand switch--just a safety switch on the side-stand that will not let you start the engine unless the side-stand is up.

Can you expand on your description of "acceleration is horrible"? What specifically makes it horrible (overall poor performance, etc.)? Cite some specific engine revs vs vehicle speed while accelerating, etc. When you first crank on the throttle to what RPM does the engine climb before you start moving--once in motion with the throttle held open where does the engine RPM "hang"?...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It feels really bogged down when I twist the throttle I can have throttle full power and barely moving it takes a awhile for the bike to get up to speed

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Clean the air filter that may help.

There is a switch on the side stand that does not allow the engine to run.

The 650 has a switch on the center stand, but I do think the 400 needs it.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
churt05 said:
It feels really bogged down when I twist the throttle I can have throttle full power and barely moving it takes a awhile for the bike to get up to speed
When you "twist the throttle" and "I can have throttle full power and barely moving" what speed is the scooter moving, and what RPM is the engine turning?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
When you say it runs horrible do you mean it as started to run bad after the plug change or
it was doing it before and the plug change as not cured it or it ran fine till the plug change?

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
there is a TIP OVER switch that shuts off the fuel pump should the bike go 'down'.

churt05 said:
I have a 2003 burgman 400 acceleration is horrible but once gets up to speed runs great just had spark plug and belt changed is the a tick over switch and where is it located

1 - 9 of 9 Posts