Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several reports on the Forum regarding using O rings for speed control and also the Throttlemeister. I would like some sort of speed control for my 650 but would like some recommendations from those of you that use or have used them. Obviously the O ring route is much cheaper but will I be satisfyed with that or should I spend the extra money for the Throttlemeister. I want something that works and will hold my speed constant but allow me to cancel it out or quickly drop back on the speed when necessary.

Your views would be appreciated.

Buzz

·
Registered
806 Posts
I use the o ring, and flying in the name of safety, I leave it on all the time. It offers enough resistance to keep the throttle from closing, but only that much. Rolling off the throttle is extremely easy. I have mastered the act of rolling off the throttle in short order as I am grabbing for the brake lever. In heavy traffic, I roll the o ring off completely.

I can't imagine the throttlemeister being all that much better, but I am not the one to answer THAT side of it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have been thinking of the "O" ring also, but I don't know where to get one. I saw one post that talked about John Deere. WELL! I am not in an area that has John Deere's handy. Since I am very close to Washington, DC, there is a lot of maneuer in congress but they spread it around without using a tractor. :twisted: :lol: Can they be purchased at an auto store? And what size? I bought an assortment pack, but none of them worked. The thickness was the problem.

Thanks,

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O Rings

MaryVande, I ordered a custom backrest extender for my Burgman 650 from [email protected]. He also has the proper size O rings for sale at $3.00 each. Hope this helps. By the way, he has a very nice backrest extender that raises the stock riders backrest 8" without cutting up cutting up the seat. Worth looking at. I'll post a review as soon as mine arrives and I get it installed.

Buzz

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I bought a '5-pack' of #15 o-rings from the plumbing aisle at a Lowe's.
I use a 'splitring' (like from a keyring) so it is removable. I believe if you do a search for cat o ring you will find the part number and I believe Jac Vinson (who happens to be a user here as well as sells products for our scoots) sells them for like $3.50 for the larger diameter (cat yellow) ones. They supposedly last longer than the $1.49 (for 5) ones I am on my 2nd one now since May 5 (almost 4000 miles).
Hope this helps! :)
Oh yes, I believe jac's site is http://www.rvtoys.net (or com) but it's blocked from my work computer (must be all that adult content? ;)) so i can't check it to be sure but a search here will also pull it up. I think it's in his signature?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I've had both. (The throttlemeister was on my Kawi Concours motorcycle.)

The Throttlemeister is better looking.

The O-Ring is easier to use (and works just as well).

The cost difference is huge.

·
Registered
276 Posts
'O' ring, and I leave it in place all the time, like beachtoea. For me, it works, you soon get used to the throttle having a little more resistance.

I got my latest stock, two freebies, off a Caterpillar mobile service man we got chatting to at a roadside cafe in Wales, recently. That was because my nearly year old job failed whilst on the trip, and he appeared on the scene at the right time.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Another fan of the "O" ring, also use a split ring from a book binder to get it in an out of the grove. Can't seem to get use to leaving my "engaged" all he time.
Got mine at a "CAT" dealer (heavy yellow) had it on now for over 11,000 miles.
Unless you have true cruse control, no matter what you use, you are just holding the throttle open, your speed will vary up and down hills if you don't make corrections, but the "O" ring does work. :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
I really like my Throttlemeister, the polished heavy bar-ends look way nicer than the stock ones, and they help dampen what little vibration there is in the bars. It is simple to engage and disengage. I also have fat foam grips ($6 at dealer) and it works just fine with them. You can set the resistance by how far you twist it when engaging. You can roll off the throttle with unit engaged with no problem. I think that, other than the "real cruise control unit" the Throttlemeister is the best thing out there. :)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Buzz wrote (snipped)
I want something that works and will hold my speed constant but allow me to cancel it out or quickly drop back on the speed when necessary.

I would say try the "o" ring first , for the 3 bucks it will cost you if it works for you your well ahead.
But either way they will only hold your speed constant on level road ways.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Throttlemeister vs O ring

I have not used the throttlemeister. I have a Vista cruise on my Nomad ($35) and love it. It wont work on the Burgman because of the plastic cover on the handlebars. It may work on the Burgman sport model. I bought a yellow O ring on ebay for $12 including free shipping. Thought it was cheap, now I see I paid too much but it works amazingly well. The Vista cruise is a more positive lock on the throtttle but for the money everyone should get an O ring. My wife kept complaining about her right hand going to sleep, she loves the O ring. The Ebay dealer is Rennsport Motorad. He sells BMW parts. The O rings are pretty universal for bikes with bar ends.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: Throttlemeister vs O ring

toytundra said:
-snipped-The Vista cruise is a more positive lock on the throtttle but for the money everyone should get an O ring. My wife kept complaining about her right hand going to sleep, she loves the O ring. snipped again.
Hi toytundra

.........and welcome to the forum :hello2:

Now we know these O rings are popular but lets just keep things to biking in this section. :lol:

Love to hear more from you. :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spunkysquid, do you have link for that Vista? What did you pay and how difficult was it to install? Does it release when you brake or what?

Buzz

·
Registered
164 Posts
J&P Cycles

It is the model # ZZ50408 and priced at $24.99

This is a friction throttle lock. When you lock it on, it will hold the throttle in place. To release, you use your thumb to unlock. Even with the Vista Cruise "locked", you are still able to move the throttle.

Installing was pretty easy. On the throttle itself, I used a Dremel drill to smooth out 2 of the throttle ridges under the rubber grip. I left the leftmost ridge to keep the Vista Cruise in place. By the handlebar where the 2 throttle cables go in, there is a screw. The Vista Cruise Clip is placed there. You may need to adjust/shape this clip so that the Vista Cruise Control fits into this clip securely.

I hope this answers some of your questions. :lol:

I really do like the Vista Cruise, on long rides, it is nice to give your right hand a quick stretch.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Spunkysquid. I think I'm gonna give that Vista Cruise a try. I don't have a problem with the O ring except getting it back out of the slot. I use the key ring thingy but still a pain. I ordered a pair of foam grips and can hold off putting them on until the Vista arrives. Do them both at the same time.

Thanks again.

Buzz

·
Registered
235 Posts
Couldn't be happier with my Jac Vinson "O" ring. Worked well on a 200 mile ride this past weekend.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts