Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning

My name is David, I'm new to the forum and currently living in Singapore. I have searched high and low for an answer to my problem, but to no avail, so I thought it might be helpful to explain it here in the hope someone might have answer, apologies if I'm revisiting old topics. I should also explain in advance that my Burgman is neither a 400 or 650 but is actually the 250, anyway here goes.

I am on a short term contract in Singapore, car prices are ridiculous, so I bought myself a second hand Burgman 250 for $1600SGD, it's a nine year old and has plenty on the clock, but as I could be here for little more than a year it seemed like the perfect solution. However.......

I have a problem with the throttle, it idles erratic and generally if I stop at traffic lights it will drop below 1000rpm and cut out. It also chugs at low speed until I open the throttle and then it runs okay, until I stop again that is.

This is the twist though, because if, lo and behold, the "dreaded" red FI light comes on the scooter runs like an absolute dream, and it's not just my imagination, it will idle steady, doesn't cut out when I release the throttle and is responsive even at low speeds. Sometimes when I start it first thing the FI light will come on, or it will come on after I've cut out and restarted a couple of times, In fact my problem at the moment is that I can't get the red FI light to come on enough.

Can anyone enlighten me on why this would be please? I am not particularly mechanical so would greatly appreciate all advice. As I mentioned earlier it's a fairly old machine and I didn't plan on spending too much money on it in the time I have left here so I'm hoping there might be a straightforward solution to remedy the problem. Incidentally I have had a couple of local mechanics look at it but the attitude seems to be if it runs okay with red light on then don't worry about it and have counselled against delving too deep as it could be expensive for a scooter with little life left, by that I mean in Singapore you have to have a COE (certificate of Entitlement) to drive a car or ride a bike, mine is up for renewal next year and the renewal cost is currently three times what I paid for the scooter :(, so I won't be going down that road.

Many thanks

David

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
The FI light coming on indicates that there is a problem with one of your sensors. Why it runs OK with the light on is that the ECM goes into fail safe mode and the compute defaults to a set reading for that sensor that allows the engine to run in most situations but will not give optimum performance. Given the way your bike is acting I would suspect the sensor that is bad is the throttle position sensor. But that is just a guess.

On the 400 and the 650 you can find out which sensor is actually causing the problem by putting the ECM into dealer mode. I assume you can do that on the 250 as well but do not know for sure. On the 400 and 650 you do it by completing the circuit between two pins on a plug that Suzuki provided for that purpose. On the 650 that plug is located under the edge of the seat. On the 400 it is located behind a panel on the front of the bike below the windshield. My guess is that if the 250 has one it will be located in the same place as the one on the 400. Maybe someone who has a 250 will post on here and confirm that.

If you look at this thread you will see pictures of what the plug looks like. This is on a 650 but the plug on the 400 looks the same and I suspect your 250 will have one like it. http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/34496-fi-light-how-make-your-own-diagnostic-connector.html The pictures also show you how to use a piece of wire to complete the connection between the two pins. If you are successful in finding it then when your bike has the FI indicator lighted live it running and make the connection. If you turn off the key the code may be lost. When you do this you should see a code indicated on the dash probably where the odometer normally is. It will be a C** code where the ** is a number. If you see a C14 code then it is for sure a throttle position sensor problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts