Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this 2006 Burgman650 with only 3400 miles. Took it for a almost 100 mile ride yesterday and was really happy about all of the scooter. But I did not like was the sensitivity of the throttle and the engine brake. Is there some kind of adjustment for the throttle. Seem too loose or the return spring too strong. I don't like that. Can something be done or take it back to the Suzuki dealer and have him do something to it? What about the engine brake, That seems way too strong also. I'm not new to motorcyle riding by any means but this Burg is giving me a fit with those two problems. What do you all recomend? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
1st welcome.

Try using the throttle like a rheostat, slowly, especially while decelerating. It will solve both problems. :)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Don't waste your time trying to fix or change it , like the poster above said “Try using the throttle like a rheostat, slowly, especially while decelerating. It will solve both problems. :icon_smile: “ . There is a bit of a learning curve to the 650 Burg , but like the rest of us you will learn and actually grow to like it . VERY ! gentle on take off , like hardly at all and let the bike just pick up speed almost on it’s own . Then learn to gently let off the throttle ahead of a stop sign instead of using your brakes . The key word here is GENTLE ! I know what you are thinking right now like “WTF is this?” , but trust me you’ll get the hang of it .

TheReaper!

·
Administrator
18,763 Posts
Also MOS1, try to slightly apply a brake lever when in heavy traffic when letting off the gas. These older 650s will slow down like you downshifted 2 gears and the Soccer Mom in that SUV behind you may have to drop the cell phone and eye shadow while trying to avoid running over you. :twisted:

Reactions: ducati14

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Make sure it's not in "Power" mode. That really stiffens up the throttle response and engine braking. There's a button on the left control to toggle it on and off and an indicator light on the right of the dash.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Also MOS1, try to slightly apply a brake lever when in heavy traffic when letting off the gas. These older 650s will slow down like you downshifted 2 gears and the Soccer Mom in that SUV behind you may have to drop the cell phone and eye shadow while trying to avoid running over you. :twisted:
This is also an issue in formation (group) riding. I'll go out of my way to let people I'm riding with know not to count on my brake lights for cues as to when or how much to slow for turns.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The cure I have found is in my signature line, but first try to practice what the others have said.

You can also use a product called throttle-tamer http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-street-tamer-throttle-tube/

G2 Challenge: Improve control of over-responsive power characteristics of most fuel injected motorcycles.
G2 Solution: The Throttle Tamer.
The Throttle Tamer incorporates a non-linear ratio between hand throttle rotation and carburetor or throttle body opening. The “pulley”, or as we call it, “cam” pulls the throttle cable as the rider rotates the grip/tube. By altering the conventional, circular shaped cam, a vast improvement in control is achieved.
The Throttle Tamer has a cam with a reduced radius initially, which requires a slightly farther rotation to achieve the same carburetor or throttle body opening position as a stock throttle. This virtually eliminates the jerky “throttle snatch” especially evident in modern fuel injected street bikes. The radius increases or “ramps up” after ½ throttle to keep overall rotation requires to reach full throttle at or near stock rotation.
There are also reviews from Burgman 650 riders:
Barry – June 4, 2014:
Installed the throttle Tamer on my 2008 Suzuki Burgman 650 and was immediately impressed. These machines are known for their abrupt throttle downshifting as they have an automatic transmission. With the throttle tamer I was able to almost eliminate this abrupt downshifting and am extremely satisfied with the product. The shipping was almost immediately and am very impressed with the company and their products

Eric Clapham – December 2, 2014:
I fitted one of these units to my ’08 Burgman 650 and was pleasantly surprised at just how much difference it has made in smoothing out the throttle response at low power settings. Well made, easy to fit and it actually DOES WORK as you claim. I’m impressed !
And from our own (But hardly ever heard from these days) Bill Pollack:
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/348710-post.html

·
Registered
197 Posts
I also have an 06 and didn't like the action of the throttle. However, after about an hour of riding I adjusted and now actually depend on the engine breaking, etc. Easy does it. I also love the thing going out of gear just before you stop. I've noted that because of the engine breaking, I tend to go off throttle a bit later than I did with my regular motorcycles with clutches.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You will get used to it soon. I've had 4 B650's and it's the same on all of them. The transition from engine braking to throttle can be upsetting that's for sure. If the clutch would completely release at a higher speed and allow more coasting, I would like it better.

My 2013 Kymco Xciting 500RI ABS, has none of these problems although it has engine braking, it releases sooner, at a higher speed and then when given throttle from that transition point, it does so very smoothly.

My Son who also has a B650, "LOADS" the drivetrain by applying a little throttle as he brakes, as in rounding a 90 degree corner and this eliminates the B650 Jerk.

Sam:D

·
Registered
585 Posts
Using the manual shift mode will alleviate much of the engine braking effect since the computer will take over down-shifting and shift to the next lower gear but at a much lower rpm than auto or power modes. The higher the rpms the more exaggerated the braking effect is.

The first time I rode mine on a test ride I liked the engine braking right away. Whats not to like about that? It saves brake pads too. Like what was mentioned above I lightly pull on the brake levers so the brake lights are activated but little or no pressure is applied to the brakes when there is traffic behind me. This will likely become second nature to you as you get familiar with your new ride. The 650 Burgman is the most sophisticated design in scooters - by a long shot. There is nothing like it on the road today.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I wasn't sorry to see the severe engine braking go.

I can always push the power button or select manual if I want it back.

Brake pads are cheap and easy to change.

Engine braking eats rear tires, although that's unimportant when darksided.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I noticed that when the engine is cold, the ecm slightly increases the ignition time and then the engine braking is almost unnoticed.
So, that's the idea:
Using an Arduino Uno connect the throttle position sensor to one of the analog input. Program Arduino so that with throttle closed it open the relay connected on the output that insert a >3Kohm resistor between the ECT sensor and the Ecm. Whit this trick the Ecm will "understand" that the engine is cold and then will increase the ignition time reducing the engine braking (but only with throttle in closed position).
You could use another analog input to detect the speed sensor and exclude the relay during stop.
Throttle Tamer is interesting too, I will investigate further.
ciao

·
Registered
118 Posts
Get the G2 throttle tamer and it will resolve all those abrupt acceleration problems. Made a world of difference to how the bike handles, specially in parking lots or group rides where you need to be careful how you apply the throttle. It's a bit expensive but definitely one those devices that's well worth the money. I was having the same issues you are having when I first got my 650 and thought I might have to sell the scoot since I couldn't get used to that abrupt throttle response. Despite the advice of others to try and use it like a rheostat there was always those situations like stop and go traffic or parking lot maneuvers that irritated me. Being that I'm not a tall guy and the 650 sits a bit high for me having a twitchy throttle was not a comfortable feeling. As for the engine braking you will eventually get use to that and will find that you will use it to your advantage on the curves at times. I switch to the power mode when I'm going through a series of curves and the engine braking works perfectly to where I rarely hit my brakes through the curves.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I wasn't sorry to see the severe engine braking go.

I can always push the power button or select manual if I want it back.

Brake pads are cheap and easy to change.

Engine braking eats rear tires, although that's unimportant when darksided.
I guess everyone has their likes and dislikes regarding the 650, and as with anything what one person may like another dislikes. I live in an area that is hilly and the engine braking effect is nice to have. If it weren't there I suppose I wouldn't miss it but having it makes riding just a bit more pleasant IMO. And as for brake pads and such - well - I'm a cheap old [email protected]! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi,
I will be in NewYork city next week. Is there some G2 Throttle Tamer retailers to buy one for my burghy?
thanks
fausto

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I can readily understand your frustration with the engine break if you are a new 650 Burg owner . That said I highly recommend you practice the above and give it a chance before you mess with it or sell it . After a short while you will not only get used to it , you will actually grow to appreciate it . It took me about a month and then it becomes second nature , you don't even have to think about it . Give it a chance .

TheReaper!

Reactions: peelbrow1

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi,
I will be in NewYork city next week. Is there some G2 Throttle Tamer retailers to buy one for my burghy?
thanks
fausto
Here's a link to their website and contact information give them a shout and they might be able to point you to a reseller in NY.

http://www.g2ergo.com/contact-us/

G2 Ergonomics
1008 E Commercial Street
Lyndon, IL 61261
Street sales and tech support
[email protected]
815-535-3236

·
Registered
213 Posts
Manofsteel, I feel your pain. I put about 6,000 miles on my new '09 650 last year, and never grew fond of the abrupt throttle and braking, especially when riding twisting back roads at a good pace. I installed a throttle tamer, which helped some, but not a lot.

As others have said, you'll have to make a conscious effort to modulate the throttle in order to minimize the jerkiness. It's just the nature of this particular beast.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have found the key to smooth riding control is to use a little trail braking. And especially at slow speeds to use some rear brake against throttle also cures the abrupt throttle response

·
Registered
1 Posts
Am having real problems with the throttle on my 07 650, very sensitive and in my opinion dangerous when manoeuvring slowly, roundabouts, tight corners etc, bought a throttle tamer hope this helps or I will reluctantly sell.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts