Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems no one makes a throttle lock for the 400, something to do with having to grind the grip or bar ?
Any rate I ordered a Throttle rocker, had the old style one but it does not fit this grip, seems the new one has Hook & Loop to hold it instead of plastic. Ebay has a full page all starting 11.00 + and 1.49 shipping,
You can order from the Throttle rocker web page for 10.00 and that includes shipping. :)
I just hope the new model does not slip like the old one.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Randy, the throttle rocker works fine. I rarely use mine since there is no vibration from the bars and the throttle springs aren't too strong, my hands don't get tired.

Eddie

·
Registered
133 Posts
You can fit the Vista Cruise throttle lock (dual cable model).

You just need to remove the throttle sleeve and grind/sand off the rib around it. I'm doing mine this weekend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Throttle Rocker

:lol:
I have one. used it on my reflex. don't need the rubber band it came with for the Burger 400 but it makes all the difference in the world! Sue

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must be doing something wrong, I have the a throttle rocker # 2 and the thing is more of a pain then it's worth, if I set it for the highway it gets in the way in town, if it's off or set out of the way then I have to stop on the road and reset it. Maybe if I could find the "Rocker" # 1 -all plastic, I had one like that some years back and it worked because you could just push it backwards to get it out of the way, or reset it. :?
On a bike you could let go of the throttle and even the handle bar, the scooter reacts a little to quick for that.,

·
Registered
322 Posts
throttle rocker

Randy, I bought a similar piece for the throttle which I think works great...it may be like the rocker you describe as #1 . It was called the cramp buster, found it on the net by the same name. Only 10.00 bucks , is hard plastic about 3 in long about 1 1/2 wide and you just have to spin it around the grip to re-adjust it .FYI. eyes5002

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
eyes5002, Thanks !
Your right, found it on the web and it is called cramp buster, if I don't put a throttle lock on I will get the buster. anyone want a "rocker" 10 bucks includes shipping. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm not sure what I've got. Previous owner had them installed. They are bar-end, beautiful stainless steel, and weighted to minimize vibration. the left one doesn't do anything, just matches the right one for looks. If you twist the right one toward you, it binds the twistgrip so it stays where you want it.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Ted, they are Throttlemeisters. Very well made, look great, and high priced. I had a set on a Pacific Coast. Never got comfort setting it. But a lot of of people love them.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I had a Throttlemeister on my recent Kawi Concours. I think Roy nailed my impressions of it. It was pricey, looked great, and wasn't the easiest thing to use. I don't think I'd buy another one.

The Concours had a pronounced high frequency vibration when you gave it a lot of throttle. Sometimes the throttlemeister would vibrate into locked position when accelerating hard, like when passing several cars. This was rather unwelcome excitement, when you finished the pass at 100 mph or more, released the throttle to decellerate - and it stayed wide open. Of course you could manually twist the throttle closed... But for a second or two it could make your heart skip a beat... This might not be a problem on the Burgmans.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Roy:

I found it a bit awkward to use, initially. For example, if you want to activate it, you have to release the twistgrip, move your fingers to the Throttlemeister, and turn it toward you, basically guessing at how much to rotate it. Not enough, the throttle won't stay where you want it, too much, it's too hard to release.

While you are doing all of this, which takes a seccond or two, the old Burgie slows dramatically. Not a good idea to do this if there's any traffic behind you. Don't ask how I know this.

Today I found that I could reach over with my left hand and twist the Throttlemeister without changing the throttle setting. Much better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Re: vista

abm said:
Has anyone installed a vista cruise on a 650?
Yes. Had to take Dremel and remove the lip that holds on the grip. Not a real problem, since I was also installing Kuirakin (spelling?) grips and they required the lip to be removed, also.

I fiddled with it over the first couple of rides, and adjusted the thumb lever so that it rides just on the jount of my thumb. If I reach for the brake, the motion flips it off.

I've been using them for years on many different motorcycles. Don't want to ride without 'em.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ted
A little tricky the way you are doing it. a another way you mite try is let your hand slide down 1/2 over the Throttlemeister release the throttle then holding the throttle & throttlemaster together twist them both --your pinky finger and palm will tighten (or release) the throttlemaster , you may find it a little better then crossing your hand over the bar .
:wink:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Poor Boy's Special

Poor Boy's Special - Throttle Lock.

I use the same type of throttle lock on both my Burgman and my V-Strom.
It is about as easy to use as a Throttlemeister. Isn't as pretty as a Throttlemeister. But mine costs about $3. (The Throttlemeister costs a lot more than $3).

It is a fat yellow O-ring, Caterpillar part no. 8M 4991. There is also the Caterpillar part no. 8M 5266. Either one works - there is a slight variance in size.

Installation is simple, place the O-ring on the right bar-end. When ready to engage the throttle lock roll the O-ring towards the throttle grip until it rests in the valley between the end of the grip and the bar-end. The O-ring does NOT fall into the valley, it simply rides on top of the valley. It also creates enough friction to hold the throttle in place. With practice, you can do this with your little finger. To disengage, roll the o-ring back onto the bar-end.

You can find these at heavy equipment service dealers, and at some machine shops. The advantage of the Caterpillar O-Ring is that it is made of silicon, so it does not deteriorate from exposure to sunlight/ozone.

Now there is also, I've heard, a "Cheap Skates Special" variant of this.
You may find a suitable size Rubber O-Ring at your local hardware store.
(I was not successful in finding one, but other guys say that they have. One guy said a #320 buna O-ring works on his SilverWing.) It should be sized just large enough to slip over the bar-end, and it must be fat enough so it doesn't fall into the valley between the bar end and the grip. You can get these for as little as 39 cents. But you will have to replace a Rubber O-Ring every month or two because they will deteriorate from sunlight/ozone.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Randy, the throttle sleeve slides right off after you loosen a screw to partially open the thing that hold the cables. The sleeve has a stupid rib that seems to fit the rubber grips for some reason. I used a small belt sander to carefully sand the ribs off. Takes only a few minutes. If you don't have a sander, use a sharp knife, or razor tool. Sand the rough edges and you're done.

I use a Throttle Lock on my 400....See http://www.motohaas.com/Install.htm ..that I've had for years, on two Helixs and one Reflex. It has a thumb set/release on it. Works wonderful, and you can easily move your throttle with it on, yet it holds if you want to relax your grip. Once adjusted to suit, mine has never changed. Shop around, I think you can find them cheaper than shown on this web page.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts