Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Ya'll,
Just acquired my 650 about a week ago, already have 400 miles on it. I've been reading comments about throttle lock and etc. I don't want to go that that extreme yet, I've read comments on people using (bands) and (o-rings) could someone explain the use of these, what type you used and exact location it was placed on throttle (out toward end or toward the inside). Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!
Marty

·
Registered
182 Posts
O-ring throttle lock

You can get Catapilar yellow o-rings that fit nicely to the outer edge of the throttle. When in position between the outer edge of the throttle and handle bar weight it makes the throttle stay in position where you the driver turn it. So if you crank it up to 60mph the o-ring in position stays put. To turn it off you have to turn it back with your hand to the desired speed. This is where I personally had a problem with it and got rid of the o-ring and the two spares. I basically, thought I had the throttle turned all the way back at the stop sign and I didn't and I was grabing brake and scared me pretty good by the time I got the burgy whooodown! I personally think they are dangerous. You just have to be aware all the time where you have your throttle positioned with the o-ring in. I have gone to Kuryakan grips with a throttle rocker on the end for my hand which never stays locked. You use the palm of your hand on the throttle on the hwy and when you let go of the throttle it releases right away.

There are other devices, but these are the two I am familiar with.

Helix

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Marty,

The most commonly used o-ring is the Caterpillar. See this thread for part numbers.

The o-ring slips on to the outer bar end piece. To engage it, roll it into the valley between the bar end and the throttle. It rides on top of the valley (does not fall into it) and provides enough friction to override the throttle return spring. You can still turn the throttle by hand though to make minor adjustments or even close it completely. To disengage it, roll it back onto the bar end weight.

·
Registered
329 Posts
For what it is worth from the department of redundancy department, department, department:
Years ago, Harley Davidsons did not use return springs on the throttle and achieved the same effect as the O-ring and other types of throttle locks. You just have to remember to shut off every time. I used that system on some of my old Japanese four-cylinder bikes years ago, removing the return spring and relying on the push-pull throttle cables. I liked it much better than throttle locks and it eased the stress on my wrist. Safetycrats would have a stroke.
Some people have successfully adapted true cruise control systems to the Burgman. I think a factory system could be just around the corner.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Last year on the way to Americade, one of the Pacific Coast riders found a Catepillar dealer and bought 2 rings and, put them both on at once. A short while later he stopped to fill up and when he restarted the bike, somehow he'd left the throttle open and the bike roared to life, came out from under him (lucky for him) dropped to the ground and spun around as the rear tire hit the ground.

No damage to him (physically), lot's of plastic damage to the bike. Worst part for him was he wasn't alone and when he and the others got to the PC dinner, they couldn't tell the story fast enough. He took a lot of grief over that story and it's still a usual topic at PC gatherings.

On a related note, one of my Silver Wing buddies did something similar with a throttle rocker, starting the scoot with the throttle high. Lucky she was in a parking lot and only went a couple of feet before hitting the car in front of her. She was fine but the scoot was out of commission for a couple of weeks while the damage was repaired.

Gotta be careful with these things.

·
Registered
969 Posts
JerseyBiker said:
Gotta be careful with these things.
You're right about that! But I love mine, and I ain't gettin' shed of it. You just have to be mindful of your ride at all times (which happens to come in pretty handy most of the time, anyway).

Steve

·
Registered
36 Posts
I,ve been thinking about the O rings
Mentioned it to the dealer, He mumbled something about voiding
the warranty, or some such thing.

Ya gotta remember what you're doing and always, ALWAYS roll
the throttle back....

I expect the throttle lock would be great to have when on the
freeway at 80 MPH......You could use both hands to search through
you glove box and maybe even re-arrange the items you have in there.

Jeez, I still can't believe somebody would first of all ride at 80 MHP,
That's about a 350 ticket and 3 demerit points in Ontario, and secondly
rummage around in their glove box....probably looking for a
cigarette (ha ha ha ha)

And the cop could nail you for careless or reckless driving at the same time.
That could end your days driving the bike, your car and anything else
requiring a permit to operate a motor vehicle for at least several months

Bump

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am interested in the Catepillar O-Ring, but only for touring. I'd like to take it off for commuting. How hard is it to put on and take off? Will it hold your speed dead steady or does it gradually allow your throttle to close? Assuming I can find one, how much should I expect to pay? Thanks as always.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Paul,

You simply roll it off of the bar end weight. One second to remove it - but I leave mine there all the time. Folks at Scootercade were threatening to steal it - but it has never gone missing.

It will hold the throttle steady. You can still turn the throttle with your hand to fine tune for hills, etc. though. It basically works as well as any other throttle lock.

Expect to pay $3 to $4 for the Caterpillar O-ring, which seems to be the best.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I recently bought a couple of the Cat. O-Rings and tried it this week. It worked fine but I'd only use it on Interstates, etc. where traffic is light and you can maintain a cruising speed safely. Once I slow to exit the Interstate, I roll the ring back on the bar end.
I bought a second ring to have as a spare and I mounted in the grove between the bar end and grip on the left side. It balances the look on my black bike and the yellow matches the 650's yellow buttons.

Don

·
Registered
969 Posts
Heh, I was looking through my pockets before I went to the hospital the other day. I didn't have my bike back yet, but I did save the Throttle Boss and the O-ring. :D

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts