Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 400 June 30 in Lower Alabama.
Rode back to Ohio July 21 and 22.

The handlebars are not adjusted correctly, now my right wrist is numb and I am worried :shock:
The seat.... Well it just plain SUX. It is wrong in so many ways I don't know where to start. I don't understand how Suzuki can pass this off as a seat. It would take no additional effort to make a comfortable seat.
The bike is AWESOME. Cruises at whatever speed I want- up to 80 (indicated). I am still grinning.
MPG was 60 to 67.
Premium fuel seemed to give better mpg.
Brakes are awesome too. In the rain, stops safely (no ABS either).
I gotta rig up a cup holder.
Peace

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
The problem with making a comfortable seat is that what it comfortable for you might well be torture to someone else. Peoples bodies are different. Some folks actually like the stock seat and find it comfortable. I'm not one of them :) .

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah, before I forget, the windshield is tolerable to lousy. It puts turbulence right at my ears, despite wearing a 3/4 helmet with full visor, AND ear plugs, there was a two-day annoying roar. Not to mention the incessant flapping and rattling sounds.

Back to the "seat", my Shadow 1100 had a CONCAVE seat. It matches your butt shape, get it? My Concours was sort of flat, but its riding position put weight on your hands and feet.
But the Burgman... it's CONVEX and pushes you down and toward the bars. I could not find a comfortable position. Even with my Alaska Sheepskin cover, it was still painful. I think I will get some foam and a carving knife and get busy... :|

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Are you 5'10" or taller?
Are you average to slim build?

I found on my 1400 mile trip similar results to what you are finding. I did notice that if I slid forward in the seat (so I felt like I was crouching on the 'edge' of the seat) that I was pretty comfortable, if scrunched. But I hated riding likE that for any length of time. Yeah, I need to work on my seat as well.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
An airhawk will usually fix any seat problem..

Doug (Newton MA)

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
Deegee said:
An airhawk will usually fix any seat problem..

Doug (Newton MA)
Didn't for me when I road an 08 400 with an Airhawk on it. After 40 miles or so I stopped and took the Airhawk off as I found it uncomfortable. The stock seat as poor as it was suited me better. That's why I tend to qualify my statements about what is and isn't comfortable to say the item is question works for me but might not work for you.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
after apx 2300 miles on my last trip,,, the seat was my worst bitch... At 72,,, I lost my Iron butt... I am going to either get a replacement seat from burgmanbrothers.com or pull the staples,,, get a gel pad and some memory foam and redo my seat... I found a good Viscoelastic molded gel pad for 40 bucks and will pickup some 1 inch closed cell foam from a shop... I will try to make my own seat improvement... I have a friend who will help so I hope my electric power stapler will do the trick...

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
I found a BeadRider seat cushion works well. I put the same number of miles in over 20 hours on mine and found it comfortable.

Like Buffalo said though, what works for one, doesn't for another.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
I rode a 400 around 350 miles one day and I'm one who finds the stock seat comfortable - on the 400 I rented and the 650 I own... Everybody is built differently.

I did find the stock butt-bumper pushed me too far forward on both bikes. I think the bikes are built for the 95th percentile - Asian.

I opted for a slightly used Corbin to get a roomier riding position and find it no more comfortable than stock, aside from the added leg room and PHENOMENAL back support. The raved about butt pan is simply meh :dontknow:

On the brakes - I think the brakes on these scooters are great. The low center of gravity reduces fork dive immensely. It's a great added plus for the scooter design.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I am 5ft. 10. and 34 inseam and 175 lbs. About average. Might try removing the back rest... Until I do seat surgery.

·
Premium Member
8,145 Posts
again let me preach the benefits of a recliner type backrest, that shifts some weight from off hyour beehind to your backrest and gives a little more comfort that way. I'm looking at the 2011 backrest and figuring I can do it the same way I did my 2008's modifying the buttrest to make it taller and then reupholstering it ,

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
"Different strokes for different folks" AND different seats for different butts............... :lol: :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Also any of the aftermarket windshields will be better than what comes stock on the 400's. I have a 7Jurock which is great. :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts