Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I going to pick up a 2006 Burgman 400 wensday w/5K miles,it's a great deal and I will inspect it good when I get there. Are there any inherant flaws in their design verses the 2007-up or anything I need to know when I look at it? I've had a couple of PCX150's last few years and really dig 'em! I just sold my beloved DR650 because the scooter (PCX150) is so much fun,quiet and practical!!!! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Are there any inherent flaws in their design verses the 2007-up
Possible engine oil consumption. Some do, some don't, use it. No definitive answer, but "excess right wrist" is prime culprit.
Check oil level on dipstick with scoot upright, not on kickstand.

Valve clearance check / adjust is at 4000 mile intervals. (If you follow "the book").
Adjustment via screw and locknut, not shims, so time rather than complication is the issue.

edited - typo.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I going to pick up a 2006 Burgman 400 wensday w/5K miles,it's a great deal and I will inspect it good when I get there. Are there any inherant flaws in their design verses the 2007-up or anything I need to know when I look at it? I've had a couple of PCX150's last few years and really dig 'em! I just sold my beloved DR650 because the scooter (PCX150) is so much fun,quiet and practical!!!! Thanks in advance!
Welcome!! Got my 2023 Burg 400 last week! Been riding for 65 yrs..GoldWings back in the day, as well as several Helix's. With breakin restriction of 4k rpms (50 mph on mine) will take while to get to 600 (altho I plan on 500 being good enuf). I think puting a short piece of 1X4 under front time should put it level for oil check. Going to fabricate a decent back rest...

·
Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
494 Posts
Good for you !

Welcome to the 'gang' lol.

I have the same Scooter.

I got mine for $2,000 with 8500k and had 2 owners.

The seller I bought from had interviewed original purchaser and told me a LOT of details so that felt good to help make decision.

Can you say what they're asking ?

Using my price, might help you ascertain what you should be willing to pay.

I got mine in mid-summer, in a city just east of DFW Texas.

Even the season is a factor.

Bikes generally go cheaper (10-20% less off season ??) in Winter, probably cause more folks list them for sale, and it's too cold to ride most places.

I'd CAREFULLY assess condition - if not you may have to drop major bucks to make it reliably rideable.

For example, how old are tires - do they need replacement ?

Has the Drive Belt been serviced (replaced, or checked & miles are low enough to give confidence ?)

Along with the drive belt (its a job to remove all covers to check), the CVT has other parts that are potentially worn out - clutch shoes (replaced as a unit), Variator rollers, Contra Spring, CVT air filter and the grease on the pulley spindles that are crucial to function.

If the owner shrugs and says, "I dunno ?" Then your negotiation position is stronger.

If miles are very low, and Scoot is so perfect, and runs as new. you'll pay more and NOT need to do immediate big services.

Oh, also check Engine Air filter.

Mine was SO neglected that the Foam element was - 80% gone - ergo every mile the Scoot had had for the last say, 5 years, was unfiltered air.

After I discovered all these issues - it did run well but was NOT maintained to a high level.

Had I known, I SHOULD have paid $1,600 and not a penny more !

But, both I and the seller were ignorant of the finer points of maintenance on a Burgman 400.

But, it's all good as now I have learned the myriad details on these bikes, too much to list here.

The Oil Consumption issue at Highway Speeds - I'm working on a solution - (and have threads to that effect hereabouts).

If you ONLY run around locally and seldom hit the 70 mph / 7,000 RPM mark, on long Interstate runs it may not matter to you.

If you DO tour long distance, it will matter much more.

I know that's long but there you have it, all the STUFF I wished I'd known first.

Let us know how you fare. Post pics too.

Happy Thanksgiving to you & all !

David

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good for you !

I have the same Scooter.

The seller I bought from had interviewed original purchaser and told me a LOT of details so that felt good to help make decision.

Bikes generally go cheaper (10-20% less off season ??) in Winter, probably cause more folks list them for sale, and it's too cold to ride most places.

I'd CAREFULLY assess condition - if not you may have to drop major bucks to make it reliably rideable.

Has the Drive Belt been serviced (replaced, or checked & miles are low enough to give confidence ?)

Along with the drive belt (its a job to remove all covers to check), the CVT has other parts that are potentially worn out - clutch shoes (replaced as a unit), Variator rollers, Contra Spring, CVT air filter and the grease on the pulley spindles that are crucial to function.

If the owner shrugs and says, "I dunno ?" Then your negotiation position is stronger.

If miles are very low, and Scoot is so perfect, and runs as new. you'll pay more and NOT need to do immediate big services.

Mine was SO neglected that the Foam element was - 80% gone - ergo every mile the Scoot had had for the last say, 5 years, was unfiltered air.

After I discovered all these issues - it did run well but was NOT maintained to a high level.

But, both I and the seller were ignorant of the finer points of maintenance on a Burgman 400.

But, it's all good as now I have learned the myriad details on these bikes, too much to list here.

The Oil Consumption issue at Highway Speeds - I'm working on a solution - (and have threads to that effect hereabouts).

If you ONLY run around locally and seldom hit the 70 mph / 7,000 RPM mark, on long Interstate runs it may not matter to you.

I know that's long but there you have it, all the STUFF I wished I'd known first.

David
Good ones are selling for a premium now:( I would as ask for their service records...I have service records for my '05 since the day I drove it off the show room floor...

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
1,084 Posts
Hi and Welcome, adding to what's been said, irregardless of the mileage, the scooter is 17yrs old, low mileage on an old vehicle is not always a plus,it only means it sat a lot unused and where :unsure: without any maintenance/service records and or convincing argument from previous owner, look at brake reservoirs sight glass, fluid not clear is a bad sign, all moisture sits/corrodes the calipers, lowest point, same goes for unchanged coolant.
Maybe TMI, just trying to help, last thing Suzuki parts are very expensive, some wear/tear parts are available cheaper, but not many ?
By all means test drive and let run until radiator fan cycles, no "red" fault lights, etc. If it doesn't feel right don't buy it. Good luck 🤞(y)

·
Premium Member
2011 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
39 Posts
Congratulations on your potential buy. I had a 2022 Wolf EX150 until 10 days ago, when I bought my 2011 Burgman 650 Executive. I loved the Wolf, but could not resist upgrading to a better, faster, highway touring possible maxi-scooter. Whatever you do, enjoy it. And maybe, before you buy the 400, consider why you are buying and possibly consider the "Cadillac" of Burgman, the 650 executive. 100 pounds heavier, but an incredible machine. If you are going to tour, buy the 650 Executive., I'm in Ohio, and you can buy one for not much more than a 400.

Whatever you do, enjoy. Have fun. Ride Safe. And ... Welcome!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I have a 2016 Burgman 400 and a 2016 Honda PCX150. I consider the PCX my urban assault vehicle. My go to for quick trips or congested areas. A hoot to ride. The Burgman is my highway scooter with decent wind protection and grocery getter with the underseat storage and Givi top trunk. Both have their merits. Welcome.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Possible engine oil consumption. Some do, some don't, use it. No definitive answer, but "excess right wrist" is prime culprit.
Check oil level on dipstick with scoot upright, not on kickstand.

Valve clearance check / adjust is at 4000 mile intervals. (If you follow "the book").
Adjustment via screw and locknut, not shims, so time rather than complication is the issue.

edited - typo.
BIG help thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you take your first ride, if you haven't yet, lean forward and hang on tight when you start off the first few times. When I upgraded from a 250 Chinese scooter to a Yamaha TMAX 500 the throttle response and acceleration was so much greater I almost lost my grip on the handlebar and almost slid off the back.
I can well imagine!! the T Max is a badass! Thanks so much

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good for you !

I have the same Scooter.

David
Thanks so much,lot's of info there!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 2016 Burgman 400 and a 2016 Honda PCX150. I consider the PCX my urban assault vehicle. My go to for quick trips or congested areas. A hoot to ride. The Burgman is my highway scooter with decent wind protection and grocery getter with the underseat storage and Givi top trunk. Both have their merits. Welcome.
Thank so much! Yes I love my PCX too!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the great replies and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! I feel welcome here!! I'm still buying the burgman but not from that guy. he stole the pics and posted a scam ad. I found the rightful owner to the ad and spoke to him. Not sure what would have happened had I drove up to see the scam guy.I'm out only $100 so I feel lucky. Glad I caught the scammer POS before I went any further. I did a search for Burgam and found the same ad in a differnt state and that's what tipped me off. It's all good now but the rightful owner to the ad is busy with work and is much further away. We are waiting till the Christmas holidays to meet half way. Long story short,buyer beware and don't trust everyone. I kept asking for better pics or a video and he never delivered and the price was too good to be true. The actual price from the actual owner is $2K instead of $1500 from the scammer. I'm generally pretty savy on scams but this one caught me off guard as he sent me his license and we spoke on the phone. I wondered why he wanted his money send moneygram. The rightful owner is much further away so we are meeting halfway at a later date. He didin't ask for any good faith money. Anyway thanks again for all the great advice! Here's a pic of my Honda PCX150,she's a sweetheart!! I will never sell her!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The PCX is an amazing little badass for around town and country back roads! I mean how fast do you really need to go??? I love mine! I ended up buying a Burg 200 that I found for a steal! I don't tour so I think it's perfect! Both are keepers! Thanks for the welcome! Happy Thanksgiving!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks so much,yes I love my PCX,she's a little badass!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good for you !

I have the same Scooter.

David
Great tips thanks so much!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had an 05 400, the remote shock preload adjuster leaked, which lets the rear bottom out, especially with a passenger.
The previous owner had taken off the airbox snorkle, increasing the intake noise & making it run slightly worse...
The clutch chirped from a stop, not a problem
Slightly lighter rollers improves mid range roll ons
Mine didn't use oil, after shoving a chunk of plastic scrub pad a couple of inches into the breather hose so the vaporized oil drops back into the crank case
The gauges took a couple minutes to work, giving me a couple of oh shyt I'm out of gas moments leaving home

Everything was except the shock was minor
The linked rear suspension is much better than the 650 on rough roads
I like the higher position of the mirrors on the 400
All & all a nice ride
I fixed the shock by installing a spacer, setting the preload at about 3/4 of full hard, A later year shock is a direct replacement & doesn't have the remote preload thing to fail

1 - 18 of 18 Posts