Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was over at Fred Meyer yesterday getting gas on my 400 when two scooters went by in the parking lot. Both were smaller sized, but one made me do a double-take.

It looked a lot like the BMW scooter they sold in Europe with the top.

I couldn't believe that I was seeing one in the USA! But I was still filling up with gas and there was no way to get close to them to see who made this thing. :cry:

They went up to the stop sign in the parking lot, then turned right to go along in front of the store. I left the Fred Meyer gas station and went across the parking lot to the exit thinking they would be nowhere around and I'd never see it again...and then I saw them heading for the same exit! They got out onto the road about 30 seconds in front of me and as luck would have it, they were stopped at the next traffic light in the lane next to me! The cars in front of me were few, so I was able to pull up alongside them till the light changed. I didn't want to look like an absolute fool, but I had to find out who made this bike. So I looked over as I pulled up behind it...and still couldn't see anything discernable for a manufacturer. Then as I got up alongside, I saw the word "TANK" on the side and "150 Urban Commuter". I was shocked.

It turned out to be a Tank 150 Urban Commuter in a nice blue color like this one.

Here's a better picture of the whole bike.

So why was it an accident waiting to happen? Because it was so unique and eye-catching, I forgot everything else about what I should've been paying attention to and just focused on it! :lol: I'm sure others did a double-take on it too wherever it went.

I have seen the scooter population increase dramatically in my area in the last year. I wonder if it is because of the influence of scooters in college students? On campus, there isn't a lot of vehicle parking, but you can fit a small scooter anywhere. You get used to the idea they are fun transportation long before you get targeted by the "real" motorcycle marketing folks who try to say that you need a car engine in your motorcycle to ride on the freeway. So you're more open to other ideas...like a scooter. And this one riding around will certainly be one to make people notice scooters. :)

Chris

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
No Helmet and a seat belt. Guess BMW wants you to think you get something for your money.

:lol: Beautiful!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I passed one of those a year or two ago on the freeway. Some idiot was brave enough to take it on I 71. I don't remember how fast they were going, but it was maybe 60mph.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Bakeisback said:
I passed one of those a year or two ago on the freeway. Some idiot was brave enough to take it on I 71. I don't remember how fast they were going, but it was maybe 60mph.
I don't think they make those in the 250cc class, only 150, so yeah, 60mph is probably WOT on that.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
My buddy at Petsmart rides one of those Tank scooters and he loves it. 8)

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just so no one misunderstands me, the accident waiting to happen would be from rubber-neckers like me.

I think the roof is useless, but I still lost focus on what I should've been paying attention to just to see what this thing was. :lol:

Did Tank go out of business? I couldn't find a current website.

Chris

·
Registered
677 Posts
Does anyone really know what the Chinese brand names mean? From other countries, a brand name clearly identifies a manufacturer. From China, not sure. Tank, Peace Sports, SunL, and various other names all seem to be nothing more than labels on basically the same product.

Yes, I agree, it's a gimmick. You're still going to get wet in the rain. And you won't have the option of looking over the windshield.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Looks like a direct rip-off of the Benelli Hybrid Adiva, a 150cc Italian scooter that's been around for a decade. We have one that regularly rides with us and it's capable of sitting on 65mph all day. Re rain, note that it has a windshield wiper. Our rider is 80 years old, incidentally, and uses it as his only transport.

·
Premium Member
8,138 Posts
well, yeah, but don't that picture make you want to grow up and be a red seat belt ? :blackeye:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Lazyacre said:
Looks like a direct rip-off of the Benelli Hybrid Adiva, a 150cc Italian scooter that's been around for a decade. We have one that regularly rides with us and it's capable of sitting on 65mph all day. Re rain, note that it has a windshield wiper. Our rider is 80 years old, incidentally, and uses it as his only transport.

A little odd-looking, but it manages to work somehow.
I'd ride one -- especially in a 250cc size.

The Chinese knock-off? Not so much.

·
Registered
486 Posts
cheap0 said:
Does anyone really know what the Chinese brand names mean? From other countries, a brand name clearly identifies a manufacturer. From China, not sure. Tank, Peace Sports, SunL, and various other names all seem to be nothing more than labels on basically the same product.
Tank was a distributor. Like BMS is. They contract to buy so many of various models, and either at the factory or on arrival the brand name is pasted on.

The Tank Touring 260 was the VOG; unfortunately for unwary buyers it's still sold. Not as a Tank, but as a BMS...and Xingyue is, or was, trying to set up their own dealerships.

How do I know? Because I got burned....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts