Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Neat concept. I wonder how accurate it actually is??? I can think of a lot of other toys for the Burgman I'd rather spend $240 on though.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Had similar thoughts. Between my fuel gauge, trip odometer and this gadget, which do I trust. And how does it know what kind of mileage you are getting? My mileage has varied between 38 and 51 mpg! If it works off of an average that you provide (say 45 mpg) it's no more accurate than the fuel gauge / trip meter combo.

When my fuel gauge hits 1 bar, I've got one gallon of gas remaining. That is very consistent. And that means I've got conservatively 35 miles of range left, which I can track on the odometer or trip meter. I don't need this gadget.

Their installation instructions also talk about replacing the "clock module" in the instrument panel with this gauge. Not going to work with my Suzuki's - or many other new model bikes that incorporate multiple functions into single lcd displays.

Maybe we can save Kias some $$$. :wink:

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Varied fuel mileage reports

It's odd that the Burgman's fuel mileage varies so. I've got a friend
with a V-Strom 650 that stays right at 55 mpg. It's very consistant
he says.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Randy said:
Now were do I put the TV :?
Right below the laptop mount and beside the coffee maker. :tongue:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: Varied fuel mileage reports

Monterey10 said:
It's odd that the Burgman's fuel mileage varies so. I've got a friend
with a V-Strom 650 that stays right at 55 mpg. It's very consistant
he says.
My V-Strom 1000 is pretty consistent too (42 - 44 mpg). BIG difference in the transmissions though. The V-Strom has two overdrive gears - I can't even use 6th until about 70 mph. That keeps engine rpms down at high cruising speeds. The Burgman's ECVT lacks that capability - and it is at sustained high cruising speeds when touring that I get my worst mileage with it. The Burgman 650 is also much heavier than the V-Strom and has about 1/2 the horsepower. I seldom work the Strom engine very hard, but I do wick the throttle up on the Burgman more often. Passing on high speed 2 lane roads is at least a 3/4 throttle exercise with the Burgman, but probably no more than 1/2 throttle on the V-Strom. Basically, the smaller engine in the heavier machine has to work harder from time to time to do the same job.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Varied fuel mileage reports

Monterey10 said:
It's odd that the Burgman's fuel mileage varies so. I've got a friend with a V-Strom 650 that stays right at 55 mpg. It's very consistant he says.
I wonder how closely he's actually tracked his mileage under varying driving types; all city, all highway, mixed use, etc.

Over the last 3 months my 650 has been very consistent at 48MPG in mixed use. The only exceptions have been when I've taken long road trips (51MPG), and one week where I only drove it around town (38MPG IIRC).

It seems to me that any vehicle, and especially any motorcycle, would exhibit similar variations, although the degree of variance might be different. (The EPA agrees.)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
...And how does it know what kind of mileage you are getting? My mileage has varied between 38 and 51 mpg! If it works off of an average that you provide (say 45 mpg) it's no more accurate than the fuel gauge / trip meter combo.
From what I read on their site, it measures actual fuel flow at all times, and computes range based on the instantaneous MPG reading (or maybe a moving average), not on a static average. That explains their statement that "ECONOMY (mpg, k/l, m/l, or l/100k) is calculated by the distance traveled and fuel used. If you find yourself in need of more miles, slow down and the indicator will tell you how many more miles per gallon you are getting."

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Looks a lot of money, a difficult install (not plug and play) and dubious value. Just my opinion! :)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
NormanB said:
Looks a lot of money, a difficult install (not plug and play) and dubious value. Just my opinion! :)
On my recent road trip, I was thankful for every fuel stop so I could get a chance to stretch my legs and get some circulation to my derrier. I don't know that I'd really want to go to the absolute limit on every tankful.

On the other hand, I was sweating it once when I missed a fuel stop and didn't know how much further I could go without running out. A trip computer might have given me some peace of mind.

I suppose if I were a gadget nut...oh wait, I am -- and planned on doing a lot of long trips...hmmm, I actually do...

Okay, I want one. :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Brian said:
[snipped]
On the other hand, I was sweating it once when I missed a fuel stop and didn't know how much further I could go without running out. A trip computer might have given me some peace of mind.

I suppose if I were a gadget nut...oh wait, I am -- and planned on doing a lot of long trips...hmmm, I actually do...

But I thought you had your wee fuel bottles - seems a much more cost effective option to reduce the 'sweat factor' :?: :wink: :)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
NormanB said:
Brian said:
[snipped]

But I thought you had your wee fuel bottles - seems a much more cost effective option to reduce the 'sweat factor' :?: :wink: :)
Nope, didn't have 'em. Since I knew the route I was taking, having driven it in cages many times, I didn't think I'd need the "auxilliary tanks." But somehow I spaced out my planned stop in Bakersfield. It was pretty scarey for a while there. :(

·
Registered
728 Posts
I agree with Pauljo,
Get to know your bike. It will tell you all you need to know. If you're a bit concerned, take a small amount of gas with you, and go on a trip, staying with in a few miles of a gas station. Drive the bike till it runs dry. Take note of your milage and then put in your reserve gas.
Also remember, a brand new bike will get crappy mpg, till you get a couple thousand miles on it. then the mpgs will get better and better.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Brian said:
What if the trip computer indicated you couldn't make it that far? I'd think there's more peace of mind with the "hope" you might make it rather than some device telling you you won't.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
chuck807 said:
Brian said:
What if the trip computer indicated you couldn't make it that far? I'd think there's more peace of mind with the "hope" you might make it rather than some device telling you you won't.
Not for me, at least.

I don't find vague hope, what-if's, and the unknown to be very comforting. On the otherhand, if I know for sure exactly (or nearly) when I'm going to be stopping I can at least look for the best spot and start planning my walking route.

Also, in my case, a trip computer might have been the second piece of equipment to remind me that I was nearing the fuel point I missed. My gas guage hadn't dropped below 3 bars yet when I assume I was near the Bakersfield exit, so it just didn't grab my attention.

Another thing about this type of trip computer is that they can help you to optimize your trip. If you know it is x number of miles to the next fuel stop, you can run at the best speed (up to the legal limit, of course) for that range.

Again, these are not everyones cup o' tea, but being a gadget nut I'd rather have one of these than a bunch of pinstripes, flames, or added chrome. Others might prefer the latter. To each his own.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Chromed trip computer (with analog display!) - now we're talking :lol:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Brian said:
I don't find vague hope, what-if's, and the unknown to be very comforting. On the otherhand, if I know for sure exactly (or nearly) when I'm going to be stopping I can at least look for the best spot and start planning my walking route.
I achieve the same result (not what-if's and the unknown) by using the following system: After 100 miles after a fill-up, I fill up again at the next gas-station I happen to pass (at a reasonable price). With that system, there's no guesswork, and no matter where you are, you should be within driving range of a gas station. The resetable trip-meter works wonders for this!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts