Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following behind a semi, I didn't have enough time to miss a chunk of something in the road. It bounced up and hit the underside of my Burgman 650 right by where the the "banjo" bolt goes into the oil supply for the transmission. Busted off most of the threads for the bolt from the cast aluminum. Now I have to take it to my mechanic and see if he can weld something there for me.:angry3:

·
Registered
735 Posts
That sucks. Actually it's the oil supply to the clutch (engine oil). What did you do after you lost all your oil on the freeway?

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear that. I do hope the mechanic can come up with a repair. Otherwise you will be replacing an expensive engine crankcase half.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Following behind a semi, I didn't have enough time to miss a chunk of something in the road. It bounced up and hit the underside of my Burgman 650 right by where the the "banjo" bolt goes into the oil supply for the transmission. Busted off most of the threads for the bolt from the cast aluminum. Now I have to take it to my mechanic and see if he can weld something there for me.:angry3:[/QUOTE

A good welder should be able to fill-in around the break. Then you drill a hole and tap it out to the correct size. Job done.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I don't know how your insurance works over there but if it's anything like a UK fully comprehensive policy you may be able to claim for the repairs.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Don't tailgate, leave your self enough space to stop. Not saying this happened in your case, but people are just crazy today with their tailgating.:thin:
+1. very true

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I'd file a insurance claim

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I'd file a insurance claim
I agree. It would be a comprehensive claim (like a broken windshield). I was an insurance adjuster for 31+ years and paid for things like this and even stranger stuff.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Don't tailgate, leave your self enough space to stop. Not saying this happened in your case, but people are just crazy today with their tailgating.:thin:
This is what I was trying to explain to a Tmax rider on majestyusa.com.
They were trying to say how smooth the ride was in the draft of a semi. I said you could not see ahead far enough to have time to react or stop in time.
He proceeded to say that was the big benefit of Tmax breaks. He could stop on a dime. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
This is what I was trying to explain to a Tmax rider on majestyusa.com.
They were trying to say how smooth the ride was in the draft of a semi. I said you could not see ahead far enough to have time to react or stop in time.
He proceeded to say that was the big benefit of Tmax breaks. He could stop on a dime. :rolleyes:
What is more dangerous is objects in the road that the truck runs over and you can't see until it is to late. Those "alligators" and other things in the road can be deadly, especially things thrown up by the truck tires.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
osbornk, I agree 100%. I'm not all that comfortable alongside a semi when I,m passing them. You have no warning when they may have a tire separate.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I own a tmax500 as well as my burgman 650 and though the brakes are very good getting hit buy a retread coming of a truck still hurts both financially and physically

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't lose all the oil. It started as just a crack and the oil started slowly leaking. When I tried to torque down the bolt to see if I could stop the leak, the threads broke off then. I have trailered my bike to my mechanic, and he is going to weld it all up for me. Thanks for all the good comments.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts