Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a difference!

It took me almost 5 hours in total to install - and costed me a little more than 400 euros - but it was worth every hour and dime :D

Before, even my old dad thought that the Burgman felt slow and sluggish (especially compared to his Vespa 300gt).

And I myself could not escape the feeling that my previous X-Max 250 felt faster and more agile despite the lesser engine size.

Now however, after installing the HiT clutch and 18g sliders the feeling is that I gained 10-15 hp and it even feels faster than my previous Gilera Nexus 500 with J-Costa variator ^^

I didn´t expect that much of a difference - but it´s like a totally new bike :D

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
It should come like that from the factory. But i seem to understand why it doesn't -- they need to sell the 650 too. ;)

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I used 19g Dr Pulley sliders. A big difference there. When my clutch wears out, I will try an aftermarket one :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
To me, it's both items that produces such a noticeable change in performance. The hit clutch hooks up earlier (mine's @ 3k rpm), and with a pronounced positive lock up feel. SO the result is that the rear wheel is rolling almost in parallel to the time you twist of the throttle.
With the stock clutch, that doesn't happen. You have this lag where nothing is happening for a 1/2 second, then the clutch takes a hold @ 4k rpm, then put the power down to the rear wheel. But the acceleration from rest is rather soft, because as the 400 starts rolling off, the stock clutch is still slipping and needs another second or more (depending on load) to positively lock up.

On the flip side, the motor w/ a hit clutch also produces more engine braking since the hit clutch disengages at a lower rpm. As a B650 owner, I've gotten used to taking full advantage of heavy engine braking, thus this feature on the 400 is just icing on the cake for me!

The 18 g sliders gives my 400 a feeling of a motor with a lighter fly wheel and one w/ a heavier flywheel. It revs quicker than stock for around town. ANd, at some point in the rev range, the feeling tips over to a motor that has a heavier flywheel, and the revs are slower to ramp up. It's the best of both worlds. In town there's an increase in acceleration. On the hwy, there's a decrease in revs.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I have read posts where people said that these beasts have NO engine breaking, even the stock ones do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with jedd above at every point - very accurate description of how it feels to ride the bike after the modification :)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
It is supposed to last longer than the OEM, but it might be tricky to tuneup in some cases.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the great feedback on the Dr Pulley Hit and Sliders.. I've been running my still stock K9 with Malossi Rollers, and recently installed the Belt, and found a great improvement, but am still "on the fence" about the stock clutch and it's performance. I've just finished placing an order for a new Dr pulley Clutch and Sliders.. Expensive outlay, but as I intend to keep this Burgie for a couple of years still, and it's my daily ride to commute to work and back, it sounds like the best investment I can make right now..

I'll post a response in a few weeks time.

Alan

·
Registered
512 Posts
But do you know how DP HiT & Sliders affects fuel consumption in city, especially with start-stop traffic, comparing with original?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'll be able to tell you this in about 2 months time..
The 'concept" of sliders is not that your fuel consumption will go up, it's a more efficient mechanism to move the belt on the pulleys. it's not changing how the bike consumes fuel, except for you as an owner twisting harder because it's so much fun to drive..
;-)

·
Registered
345 Posts
...a picture to inspire. Just do it! :D:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But do you know how DP HiT & Sliders affects fuel consumption in city, especially with start-stop traffic, comparing with original?
I think that my fuel consumption has raised marginally. It might partly be because of the higher rpm in lower speeds - but I think the main reason is that it´s more fun to twist the throttle :D

I don´t have any numbers to present yet, it´s more like a feeling for now :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thats what I expect will happen.. It becomes a FUN RIDE...
Can't wait to get mine and install it. With the new Malossi Belt I just got, my Scoot's going to be AWESOME.. :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Had my Dr Pulley 18g sitting in my garage until I had at least half a day to work on the Burgman. Took me about 3 hours but when I got took it out for a ride... wow, it makes quite a difference. It locked so fast and caught me off-guard. Took it out on the highway to test it and preformed beautifully. One difference, and I am not sure the reason, was my temp gauge was showing it running cooler. Maybe because the filter was so filthy, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I can't say aboutt he HIT Clutch as I am still stock.

But, I posted a lot of info (RPM Vs Speed) and my feeling about Clutch Engagement after installing ONLY the 19 Gm Sliders.

All that data is in the posts I made.

I will only add a summary.

I feel no shudder, I think take off is around 3500 or less RPM (I have never really tested just that feature, all I know is I have no shudder or negligible shudder as compared to before the sliders and have never deglazed anything), getting 66 to 70MPG on rides now, RPM at 80MPH is like 6200. Around 50 MPH is break even point on RPM being 100 times the speed in MPH (indicated speed).

I have 30,000 miles on the Scoot and installed the Sliders at about 23,000 miles when I replaced the belt. I think it was 23000, would have to look back at my post on changing Belt and sliders.

So, I doubt I would spend much extra on a HIT Clutch (What is the cost vs an OEM?).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pleased to say I received my parcel today. Excited to fit this on the weekend, and looking forward to FEELING the results.

Chris G, Jedd, etc, can you guys share info re: if you changed anything spring wise, or if you've fitted the clutch with stock springs etc? There's naturally a huge selection of spring tension to change how the clutch performs, and this could also be affected by rider wright and size. I'm 6'2 and weigh 115 kg's, just wondering what the other guys suggest on the various spring tensions..

Cheers

Alan

1 - 20 of 46 Posts