Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an add from BurgmanUSA, today blast over my speakers "Congratulations you won". I won't stand for any of that.

I was logged in and just looking at posts. I will be be leaving BUSA if that keeps happening.

Really like you guys and girls, but we have a choice.

Tim

·
Registered
677 Posts
Oh yuck. I leave my speakers off most of the time, so I have not had a problem.

Visually the way the ads are now, I think is fine. I don't mind seeing the site being used to make a buck, as long as it's done reasonably. Greengoose seems to have negotiated a sweet deal for us with the new owners, in that regard. I agree, audio ads would be over the line.

·
Administrator
18,321 Posts
+1 speakers off 100% of the time.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I leave my speakers on laa the time,,, BUT,,, the firtime I get an audio ad,,, I will never log on again... But,,, the admin rides an "other" bike... does it have a motor or a peddle...

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have not had this to happen, but hey, they are making money for nothing. I noticed that Dwayn signed on yesterday and posted a few times. Even gave a new email address. I am way less than impressed with the current state.

·
Registered
412 Posts
TwoWheelTim said:
I had an add from BurgmanUSA, today blast over my speakers "Congratulations you won". I won't stand for any of that.

I was logged in and just looking at posts. I will be be leaving BUSA if that keeps happening.

Really like you guys and girls, but we have a choice.

Tim
Get an ad blocker for your browser. It is intorable otherwise.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I had the mentioned add with audio come up on me yesterday. I don't care for audio ads at all but honestly the adds that usually show up for me have been sites I'd likely purchase from in the future for motorcycle related things or components I could use for mods. As longs as its bike/scooter related I don''t mind them being on the site but outside of that they get ignored. However, I'm not going to abandon the forums for a few banner adds at the top and bottom of the page but If it gets excessive to the point of interrupting the usefulness(IE. adds plastered all over images in a thread or our knowledgebase tutorials) then that will be where I draw the line.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't mind the ads so far. I also hardly ever have my speakers on, so I haven't heard one of the audio ads. This is a very helpful site with a lot of knowledge, and I would hate to lose it.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
TechArtGuy said:
....but If it gets excessive to the point of interrupting the usefulness(IE. adds plastered all over images in a thread or our knowledgebase tutorials) then that will be where I draw the line.
Log out and look at the pictures in a thread.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Audio ads are offensive. Period.

I hate websites that blare at me. I avoid them. That will include this site if tit starts to blare ads at me.

Common sense is misnamed. It is remarkably rare.

Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
billmeek said:
Log out and look at the pictures in a thread.
Gahhhhhhh, now that brings much sadness. Even logged in they show up under the knowledgbase. :cry:

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have had no audio ads... ever, and only have an advertisement banner at the bottom of the page that I really don't notice unless I look for it... so that's a lot different than you guys??!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
ErikDK said:
Someone needs to migrate the knowledgebase to safe ground.
I could host it, and provide a hostname under one of my domains, for free. Maybe someone else could come up with a new domain name and register that, and we could use that. "Roads4.us" is available. :) I was thinking http: // twisty.roads4.us and maybe some other variants thereof ;)

Anyway I don't have time to devote to the project, but I could set someone (or more than one) up with a shell account to add/change the site content. Unix/Linux proficiency is not required; just find a tool like putty which can use ssh/scp for file transfers.

To be clear, at the "free" price, I am only willing to host static content. If you want to set up a database and use PHP/whatever, there are many cheap hosting options available.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Considering the bkb is also part of the burgmanusa.com domain and many many posts already reference it here locally, outside hosting would not be a good idea as that would negate the usefulness of the forums both by creating broken links and the off chance that it couldn't be maintained it's best left here under a larger entity with more long term sustainability.

Looking at it today the ads have been removed from tutorial images and changed to a banner ad format. That I can live with personally as it maintains the useability of the tutorials themselves. More bike related content would be nice but that Hellman's ad reminded me I'm out of mayo lol.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I think Eric is suggesting, and I agree, that there should be a mirror of it hosted on "safe ground". We really don't know when the forum owners here might make things difficult for us. They could also go under and take the entire forum and bkb down with them.

No, I'm not a big entity, just affiliated with a small free software community project, but I think an extra copy of what we can keep would be a good idea. If I get hit by a bus, other administrators of that project would probably still be available. If our hosting dies, we'd still have the data, because we own the hardware. And we would find other hosting!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts