Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ride my wife's 2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 to a local dealer today. I'm 57 and been riding, racing, and repairing motorcycles since 1968. I have been riding Harley Electra Glides for the last 12 years. While riding Laura's Burgman I happen to see my reflection in the mirror and there is a big grin looking back at me. I had more fun riding her bike today than I care to admit. What is wrong with me?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
bulldog said:
So I ride my wife's 2005 Suzuki Burgman 650 to a local dealer today. I'm 57 and been riding, racing, and repairing motorcycles since 1968. I have been riding Harley Electra Glides for the last 12 years. While riding Laura's Burgman I happen to see my reflection in the mirror and there is a big grin looking back at me. I had more fun riding her bike today than I care to admit. What is wrong with me?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA.!!!!!! i JUST LOVE IT..!!! I think my little Burgie is even more FUN than the Boss Hoss that i owned for 11 years.!!!

We call that the ......"BURGMAN GRIN"......... :thumbup: :lol:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
With age comes wisdom :thumbup:

And the upside is no chrome to keep clean :lol:

If you are like most of my Harley friends, you could sell half of your Harley merchandise and buy a nice used 650 :lol:

A Glide is one nice bike...but so is a Burgman :thumbup:

Just "borrow" her bike a few more times, and then you will be checking the "For Sale Ads" to add a 650 to the stable :wink:

Glad you found a new "friend"

Bill

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I'm about the same vintage with about the same history too. It took me a while but I finally "Got It" about Scooters and........ :D
I left the other bikes and joined the Scooter Nation about 3 years ago. I still pick up a project bike just for fun and to keep my need/urge for variety in check. I restored a 1980 Hondamatic a year ago and now I am finishing up a 1999 EVO Soft-tail that melted the whole wiring harness. I still get a thrill out of almost every bike I ride but my ride of choice is the Scoot...even on the typically "Harley" Poker Runs, Bike Nights and PGR missions.
Ride What you Like and Like What you Ride. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Don't be embarrassed. And...there is nothing wrong with you! You've just been Burgered!! I have been riding bikes of all kinds, and all sizes for 43 years. I'm same vintage as you and this year I bought my first Burgman 400z abs after riding one for a whole day as a loan bike when I took my DL1000GT in for service. I did over 210 miles that day on that Burgman for my work and it impressed me so much and made me grin all the time! I was carrying a lot of work stuff with me. Laptop, camera, briefcase etc which all went under the seat no problem. After panicking for a few seconds when I was first told that the usual loan bike was out with someone else (a 1250 Bandit) I realised I had no option but to ride it. I wasn't impressed at this thought. But, here's the thing. The whole days riding went superbly. I was so focused on my work and getting to the various facilities where I had to be for meetings and training that the bike became almost invisible under me for the first 50 miles. I had to ride on every type of road, country, town, highway. Then, suddenly I realised that hey, this bike is awesome. It's doing everything my bigger bikes do, and it's very much more comfortable and easier to use and brilliant fun into the bargain. It handled like a bike and cruising at 70mph was just so easy. By the end of the day I was convinced I had to have one. I ordered a new on and have had her nearly 6 months now. I'm so pleased with it, I make excuses to go out on her every chance I get but at 80mpg (uk gall) I can afford to! I've sold all my other big bikes GSX1400, DL1000GT and I don't regret it one little bit. Funny, but all my buddies are showing huge interest in my Burgman...I've just got this feeling Mr Suzy may be selling some more Burgmans soon! Perhaps...even to you. :lol:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I too rode bigger, sometimes faster bikes, bought the first 650 Burgie for my S.O. to ride, at the time she was on a 750 Vulcan and liked it just fine. Well the 650 turned out to be a little too tall and wide for her shorter legs, and she just didn't feel secure with it at stops and moving it around the garage, etc. She does however like the twist and go, as well as the practicality of the scooter, so we got her a 600 Silverwing which works out for her much better. Meanwhile I soon find myself riding the 650 Burgie, and being really impressed with it. Soon I'm walking around my Harley, getting on the zook and riding it most of the time. I had been looking at Road Glides, and Geezer Glides, cause I was tiring of the wind tearing at me on my FXRS, But I began to ask myself what would these bikes do for me that the Zook would not. Other than a radio and cup holder the answer was not much! I had planned to ride the Harley one more season, but decided to put it up for sale just for the hell of it. Fortunately as it turned out, a guy in town liked it, and decided he couldn't live without it. Timing is everything, three months later the economy went south, it might have been mine to have and to hold, or give away. I'm on my second 650 now, 56,000 miles on one, 16,000 on the second one, and I still got the grin. Don't miss the other bikes even a little bit! I catch a bit of ribbing from some buddies, but I always tell them that if they are real lucky, maybe one day they too can own a Zook.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Don't be embarrassed....!!!!!!! YOU just had an epiphany.!! HAHAHHAAHAHAHA.... I went from a 355 HP v8-powered Boss Hoss to my Burgie 400 and the GRIN has never left my face....YET!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts