Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Burgermeister knows how to corner. Member of this board?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Wow!

I'm surprised that he's not trailing about 20 ft of sparks. If he leans just another couple of mm I think he would. You can just see light under the muffler.

That's a great shot of the underside of a 650, for certain!

[edit] Now that I look again, I believe I do see a couple of sparks coming from the pipes!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
All I see is a little white box with a red X in it. :(

I've got to upgrade my system! :x

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Brian said:
All I see is a little white box with a red X in it. :(

I've got to upgrade my system! :x
Brian:

The problem is that the file is 98k. You either have to wait for it to download, or right click that little white box and click on Properties from the droplist.. Then you can copy the URL and paste it in the Address window of your browser and look at it at the source.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it really is easy.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The problem is that the file is 98k. You either have to wait for it to download, or right click that little white box and click on Properties from the droplist.. Then you can copy the URL and paste it in the Address window of your browser and look at it at the source.

It sounds like a lot of work, but it really is easy.
[/quote]

Ken, That's easy for you to say but can somebody make it so us computer ignoramousus can see it.

Buzz

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Buzz said:
Ken, That's easy for you to say but can somebody make it so us computer ignoramousus can see it.

Buzz
This should come up faster, but smaller. :eek:

:eek:gre:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Unfortunately, he wouldn't have to lean so much (or he could go faster) if his technique was better. He's completely cross-controlling that puppy. In the large version of the photo from the killboy.com site, you can see that he is indeed laying down some sparks.

Greg

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I don't know if it a member from this site or not but what I see is the rider went into this corner a little too hot thus having to apply brakes ( looks to me like the front end has dived) and increasing his lean angle.

He is also missing his fuse cover on his 2003 650

·
Registered
83 Posts
allwalk said:
I don't know if it a member from this site or not but what I see is the rider went into this corner a little too hot thus having to apply brakes ( looks to me like the front end has dived) and increasing his lean angle.
Well, he's clearly not on the brakes (no brake lights.) I'm sure he went in too hot, and he probably chopped the throttle, which would also cause the front end to dive. Plus, not unlike myself, he's a big guy; he's already handicapped with the front end always dived. :(

Greg

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
The 650 is tossable - I don't think he's in too hot at all. he's covering his rear brake. what's wrong with that? he looks ok to me - seems like his eyeballs are on the prize. The right side is the highest side - no sparks there - but maybe some tupperware shavings...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Pete said:
The 650 is tossable - I don't think he's in too hot at all. he's covering his rear brake. what's wrong with that? he looks ok to me - seems like his eyeballs are on the prize. The right side is the highest side - no sparks there - but maybe some tupperware shavings...
It's not really about tossability. I'm not sure I'd exactly refer to the 650 as tossable, anyway, but that's a different discussion.

What's wrong?

1) He's cross-controlling, introducing more lean than required.
2) He's already dragging, with lots more corner to go.
3) With a major portion of the curve to go, he's already far on the inside. How's he going to make that turn? Well, he probably either had to roll off the gas mid-corner (bad technique and upsetting to the bike), hit the brake (bad technique, upsetting the bike, and robbing traction from cornering), or run wide.

On re-examining the photos, I'm now unsure whether his brake lights are on or not... At first, I was certain they weren't. Now I'm not convinced.

In any case, I wouldn't hold this up as an example of someone skilled at cornering. I'd hold this up as an example of someone who's confident but has bad technique.

Greg

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Dragging? Why You Say?
At speed the big burger has a low pivotable (?) cg.
His torso and face were looking ahead (good and bad maybe).
Who knows what the trend in shoulder pavement is?
I wouldnt say that that photo is an example of anything except a person going around a fun corner on AN 650.
Cross controlling? Hmmm. Maybe - however this isn't a Laguna Seca Track pic either.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Pete said:
Dragging? Why You Say?
For starters, the sparks coming off the rear end.

At speed the big burger has a low pivotable (?) cg.
Center of gravity's one element, but so are other aspects. Among other things, the 650's got a huge wheelbase, which takes away from flickability.

His torso and face were looking ahead (good and bad maybe).
His face should be looking through the turn, not ahead.

Who knows what the trend in shoulder pavement is?
We can see a huge portion of it. It goes down to almost nothing immediately past the curve he's got immediately ahead of him.

I wouldnt say that that photo is an example of anything except a person going around a fun corner on AN 650.
Cross controlling? Hmmm. Maybe - however this isn't a Laguna Seca Track pic either.
No maybe about it. Compare the angle of his torso to the angle of the Givi. He's pushing the bike down.

Why would it be more acceptable to shoot for more lean on public roads than on a private track? It's even more important to minimize lean angle on the street. Plus, the title of this thread is "This Burgmeister knows how to corner." I'd say it's quite the opposite.

Greg

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
He is a short arse as well! :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Norm - stop it.
Uh, yeah - what he said :D :D
He isn't slight - plus getting the "rear brake on" pulls the bike closer to the ground... did he just squinch it down to check it up?

I guess I cannot discern sparks. or - wait ok - yeah - theres a couple :roll: maybe its the few embers prior to the logo a spark(s)? even if it is ~ a lardy doesnt automatically become unsettled due to a touch of the hardware. - heck some folks have shaved off the tupperware.

I thought I clarified tossability (notice I did not say anything about "flick") in the sense of low cg - which helps a lot with the long wheelbase.. ie low pivot. \./ = with the C sub G being the period. The lard isnt "flickable" but my DS185 or GS450E was - but, albeit less stable at speed. Tossable about the length is easier with alla the stuff slung low.

You can't tell where his eyeballs are.
You can't tell how fast he's going.
You CAN tell that an exercise program may be good in order to reduce sparks (especially with a box full of sopresata in the back) :twisted: .
8)

I say that it's the last quarter of the turn - but who knows -

a huge portion of it?? OK - sure. :roll:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Pete said:
a lardy doesnt automatically become unsettled due to a touch of the hardware. - heck some folks have shaved off the tupperware.
Nor did I say it did.

You can't tell where his eyeballs are.
I was talking about technique. It's still poor technique to simply shift only his eyes, if that's indeed being done.

He is cross-controlling. He is already dragging. He does still have turning to do. He is already well on the inside of the turn.

What contrary evidence do you have that shows he does know how to corner well? That this is good technique? You seem to be arguing that he hasn't gone down; I didn't suggest that he had gone down. People make it through corners with bad technique all time, myself included. Just because I might make it through a corner quickly while exhibiting bad technique, that shouldn't be held up as an example of skillful cornering.

Living through a corner doesn't equate to cornering well.

Greg

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
True Greg - but we are drawing on assumed conclusions (BOTH).

Either way - in the sprit of the thread title - the big guy (burger) does do well in the twisties.

nope he isn't dragging his knee - he's going around a bend on a 650 plus pond 640cc scooter.

Scraping stuff isn't cause for either praise or scold.

Body language and poise will be diff on these scoots vs your other road bikes.

I liked the picture and I am sure that the prsn riding that scoot right at that moment in time was diggin it too.

I don't think I proported him to be the poster child of proper riding technique.

Tell us o-swamie - how should a big prsn look when dragging some pipe through a turn an a big ass sccoter?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The only thing I noticed wrong was:
No Jacket
No gloves

As for the corner, I don't think we got the whole picture. There may have been a whole lot of curve behind him. And the telephoto lense may have distorted the image.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I don't think Nike or New Balance, or whatever brand those silly things are, makes a riding boot, do they? I know I'd sure as hell would hate to have a lardy land on my foot or ankle, I'm pretty sure I'd say that would tickle just a bit.

I'd then be prone to saying many bad words, when (if) I either woke up, or stopped screaming.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts