Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I posted on the site. I have a 2007 400 in which I bought new. Lately I been thinking of trading for a 2012 used 650 from the dealer. It's an Executive with around 2700 miles on it. It's pearl white and looks new. The dealer is wiling to sell for 7800 out the door, minus about 2500 for my 2007 400 with over 14,000. I'm just wanted to get some others opinions on what they would do if me, since you're already 650 owners.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I'd keep searching for a used 650 from a private party. You can get a good low milage 650 for under $4k, under $5k for an exec. Then keep the 400 too. That's what I did and I love having both versions.

They are very different, yet the same. They both have their strong suits. You will enjoy having the choice each day you ride. I ride the 400 almost daily as a commuter and the 650 generally gets my long-ride weekend duties. Although I frequently mix up the routine.

Plus you will have a back up bike. When one is down for a maintenance issue, you won't be stressed and possibly overpay for a repair just to have a running bike. You can take your time and get the bike repaired at a reasonable price.

Additionally, you spread out the milage, maintenance and repairs amongst two bikes.

When you're dealing with a dealer, you're giving him some profit. Keep that money, buy a used bike elsewhere and enjoy both rides.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Liam. You know you are so right, I've been thinking about that as well. How much was your insurance for both?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just moved up to a 2013 650 and really like it. It is heavier than the 400 but after I got use to it I don't have any problem around town or low speeds. I started to keep my 400 since I didn't have a lot invested in it, but after I got use to the 650 I didn't see any use in it. No way I would ever go back to the 400 after owning the 650. Couldn't see keeping up a 2nd bike I wouldn't ride.JMHO

·
Registered
426 Posts
List the 400 for sale at a reasonable (negotiable) asking price, and see what offers you get. At the same time, search around on the net (craigs!ist et al.) to gauge what the 2012 650's are going for... if you have cash then you might stumble across a good deal and close on it.

If you work out the cash out difference to you, then that gives you some figures to play with and you might want to go back to the 'dealer' and attempt to hash out a trade with those figures in mind, allowing the dealer to make some profit - given that he has a business to run too, and having a good dealer stay in business can work for you in the long run.

All depends on what is easiest for you, whether you have cash, and how much work you are willing to put into the whole transaction (viewing bikes, dealing with buying and selling, warranty(?) etc.) and the time commitment these factors can 'buy' into your time bank.

Happy searching....

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Personally I think 2500 for the 400 as trade in is a pretty good offer, I only paid that for a 2008 last year.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Thanks Liam. You know you are so right, I've been thinking about that as well. How much was your insurance for both?
$552 full coverage for both bikes. Not bad considering how much I ride.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Since we both live in Virginia, our insurance rates should be semi similar. I just paid mine to Progressive. I have 100/300/50 liability and uninsured motorist coverage on a 09 Burgman 650 and a 09 V-Star 650 Midnight Custom. I have comprehensive and collision on the V-Star. I just mailed them a check for $213.00 for both for a full year. Been with them 19 years online with no agent.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The price seems a bit stiff on the 650.

I bought my 2007 Exec for $5000, with 9000 miles on it. In 2012.

My advice: Shop around; you should be able to get a used one for $3k - $5k; AND hang onto the 400.

They're both great but the 400 is just the ticket for short hops. And you'll lose out if you trade in.

If you can't afford both (garage and insurance) I'd hang onto the 400 and put it up for sale privately. You may decide the 400 is the better ride for you; and if you don't, you'll get full dollar out of it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The price seems a bit stiff on the 650.

I bought my 2007 Exec for $5000, with 9000 miles on it. In 2012.

My advice: Shop around; you should be able to get a used one for $3k - $5k.
And I bought my 2007 Exec (love the red) with only 3500 miles on it for $4000 in 2013.

Good deals are there to be had. And here's a hint- go to Craigslist and look for misspellings. My Burg was advertised as a "Bergman" for sale. When I called the guy he told me that the ad had been running for a month and no one had called and he was ready to make a deal. Gee. I wonder why? ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts