Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2012 650 last year for 12375 OTD (some negative equity on my trade in :| )

I do love the bike but with two 16 month old daughters I just don't have the time to ride it and was thinking of getting rid of it so that I can afford a nice electric bicycle to commute to and from work on. This would save me money on payments, maint., insurance, gas and registration. I've only put 1800 miles on it since I bought it and I don't really go touring, it's mostly just my transportation to and from work, around town etc while the weather is nicer.

Do you think given my circumstances that I should get rid of it? Could I even get enough from selling it to satisfy the loan (0% interest, so at least I don't have to worry about that)?

I'm not sure if it is a good idea or not, it was just a passing thought at this point today. The bicycle I wanted to get was a pedego city commuter, about $2,000.00 on ebay, MSRP is $2,800.00, if I were to get rid of the scooter I could afford a much nicer bicycle and we are also moving into a bigger home in a few months and one less payment would help with the higher rent. If money were no object I would love to keep it, it just isn't getting much use though, 5 mile round trip to work during the week is about it. 10 miles round trip after the move.

Other alternatives are to just keep the Scooter and not get a bike at all. I pay 206.25 a month and insurance is around 70.00. Or I could just get a decent non electric bicycle for $700 or so. I've done some research though and most people like me (out of shape) who get a regular bike ride it about 75% less than people with the electric assist and it would be much harder to pull the kids behind me in a trailer that I may not bother most days and I would also be showing up at the office all sweaty and coworkers may start to complain about the smell.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Ultimately, only you can determine what is 'right' for you.

I rode back and forth to work on a mountain bike for a couple of years (not consecutive years). If you have a place to clean up, it's no issue. Might even get your employer to put in a shower for bike riding employees. You will lose weight and your stress levels will be low. I rode back and forth, oh about 8 miles each way, morning was mostly uphill (and rode all year in AZ to include some cold winter riding).

Even if you ride three days a week and Burg the other two, it would be good for you. If you want to get out from under the payments, then sell it and move on with your interests. If not, let it be a "hanger queen" and ride it...whenever.

I moved to just SE of Columbus from SE Arizona last summer. I was a FULLTIME rider there, and here, it just sits in the barn while the crappy weather just rolls in and out of here. But I'll keep it. I'm 21 miles to work now and I'd like to at least ride it one day a week to work (I work 2nd shift 4 pm to 1230 am) Sun - Thu..so Sunday would be my riding day. Still cut my fuel consumption by about 20%....

Scotty1981 said:
I purchased a 2012 650 last year for 12375 OTD (some negative equity on my trade in :| )

I do love the bike but with two 16 month old daughters I just don't have the time to ride it and was thinking of getting rid of it so that I can afford a nice electric bicycle to commute to and from work on. This would save me money on payments, maint., insurance, gas and registration. I've only put 1800 miles on it since I bought it and I don't really go touring, it's mostly just my transportation to and from work, around town etc while the weather is nicer.

Do you think given my circumstances that I should get rid of it? Could I even get enough from selling it to satisfy the loan (0% interest, so at least I don't have to worry about that)?

I'm not sure if it is a good idea or not, it was just a passing thought at this point today. The bicycle I wanted to get was a pedego city commuter, about $2,000.00 on ebay, MSRP is $2,800.00, if I were to get rid of the scooter I could afford a much nicer bicycle and we are also moving into a bigger home in a few months and one less payment would help with the higher rent. If money were no object I would love to keep it, it just isn't getting much use though, 5 mile round trip to work during the week is about it. 10 miles round trip after the move.

Other alternatives are to just keep the Scooter and not get a bike at all. I pay 206.25 a month and insurance is around 70.00. Or I could just get a decent non electric bicycle for $700 or so. I've done some research though and most people like me (out of shape) who get a regular bike ride it about 75% less than people with the electric assist and it would be much harder to pull the kids behind me in a trailer that I may not bother most days and I would also be showing up at the office all sweaty and coworkers may start to complain about the smell.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
It all depends on what your priorities are in life...

if it is not getting used and sitting in the garage and gathering dust, it may be wise to let it go, you can always
get another bike when circumstances are more favorable.

good luck with your decision....

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to keep both but it is tempting to try and free up all the money the Burgman is costing me at the moment. I guess I'll take a look at working 16 hours on the weekend at the local walmart or something to generate more income rather than try to reduce the outgoing money.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I suspect you are substantially upside down and you will have to come up with several thousand dollars to pay off the negative equity if you sell your scooter. If you don't have the money, you might have to keep it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
From a dads' perspective, who faced this situation 25 years ago...

Your dilemma is one faced by the majority of fathers with young children...why many give up riding for 10-15 years...until their kids are older

And the decision is never easy...not to be morbid, but reality is what reality is...what would one accident do to your family finances?...what would one death due to your family? :(

You would be lucky to sell the bike for $7,000...your loan balance is somewhere around $9400, based on the info provided...so you need to bring $2500 or so to the table to dump this thing

My son is expecting his first child this year...and I just sold his bike for him this week due to the same questions above...I got him a net $2500 and he rode the crap out of his bike,read 40K plus hard miles, for nearly 6 years...so his "cost" of ownership was about $350 a year, plus maintenance and insurance...your "cost" is $5000 plus for the one year...sucks big time

He had to bite the bullet just a little...you have to suck down a mortar :evil:

Only you can answer the questions and only you can decide what is "right" for your own piece of mind and that of your family

Tough decision to make...I do not envy you...sometimes you just have to take your loss and move on...that's life

Good luck as you wrestle with the correct decision for you

Bill

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
As I might be in the market for a nice 2012, what about the warranty? Did you get the extended warranty. I put a lot of miles on and want the security. If you did not, when did you purchase the bike and where?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Bakeisback said:
As I might be in the market for a nice 2012, what about the warranty? Did you get the extended warranty. I put a lot of miles on and want the security. If you did not, when did you purchase the bike and where?
Well if the info under his avatar is correct June 9th, 2012 which would mean you can still buy the Suzuki extended since it's still under factory warranty if he didn't buy one with the bike.

As mentioned it's likely you owe more than you could sell it for. :(

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Well if the info under his avatar is correct June 9th, 2012 which would mean you can still buy the Suzuki extended since it's still under factory warranty if he didn't buy one with the bike.
I feel better asking to make sure. I've mucked up one or two things by not double checking....

Unfortunately the price I would offer to include the warranty would probably be at a stiff loss. Or assume the loan with some cash....

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Bakeisback said:
I feel better asking to make sure. I've mucked up one or two things by not double checking...
A wise thing to do for sure.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
MJR,

If you moved closer to Ohio, I would feel better since you have rebuilt the CVT a few times.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Bakeisback said:
MJR,

If you moved closer to Ohio, I would feel better since you have rebuilt the CVT a few times.
:) It's not as scary as it seems. I've taken 3 apart, put 2 back together, and 1 to go so far. Now just need to get some miles on them. I'm trying some hybrid ceramic bearings in my '03 with the Polish adapter.

Scotty1981 said:
It's in my best interest to keep it and enjoy it.
I think that's best, at least you are using it if not on long rides yet.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I really feel for you.
When you have a young family there are lots of calls on your finance and your time, as an earlier writer said that is why many have to give up something they enjoy, like going out with other women, sorry I mean motorcycling. :lol:

I have never been a fan of buying any new vehicle on finance even on the illusory 0% finance deals. Buying a depreciating asset on finance just does not make sense to me and leaves you kind of exposed to a permanent negative equity situation.

I am not a financial expert at all, my (poor) working class upbringing inculcated an attitude of if you really want something save for it and buy outright with cash. If you cannot save you cannot afford it and/or you do not want it enough. It was a painful process for me to undo that culture and take a mortgage on my house ( but my rationale that over time it was a appreciating asset ) and it was a real psychological burden that only lifted recently when I paid it off. At 59 I now feel like a free man again. I look back though and believe that even the appreciating asset is in a sense 'fools gold' and the real financial benefit goes to the banks. But you have to live somewhere you never HAVE to buy a motorcycle.

·
Administrator
20,116 Posts
Scotty, LIFE happens!

It is so hard to make a decision like yours. To flush so much down the drain to only try saving more in the long run is something I have had to do a few times so I know what your going thru, sorta. After being married for 7+ years, I was a SGT/E5 in the ARMY and making good wood. We had a Mazda RX-7 that was soupped up to the max. I had my Suzuki GS750N hot-rod too. Then one day I got real sick, the flu was running ramped and I got a bad case of it for two weeks. As I was recovering the wife got sick too but not as bad. Three weeks went by and she was still sick so off the the Med Dispensary. Pee on a stick and YEPPER, Pregnant. Its so hard getting a car seat in a RX-7. It flat did not fit on the Suzuki. :twisted: Kept the bike but traded the RX-7 for a new Mazda GLC (323) Sport plus cash back to me. I was lucky I guess. I was out $7500 for the RX-7 then all the spoilers and ground effects, the T-Top conversion, the Turbo kit, Mags and tire..... about $12K and got $6500 for it. Life happens!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts