Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I currently own a dead Yamaha Majesty 250 (service department of dealer delivered it to me with no oil. Not surprisingly, it didn't like it).

Now, I don't really want it back, even if it has supposedly been fixed, and a 250 Burgman has become available. Due to stupid licensing laws in Victoria, Australia, I am restricted to 250cc for another 13 months or so.

I ride 55km each way to work, mostly at 100km/hr, with a bit of traffic dodging at the end.

So, onto the questions...

1) Is the 250 going to cut it doing these sorts of distances?

2) Will I need to get a bigger screen as suggested by most posts to this site, or is the 250 screen different to the 650 screen? (I am 6'0")

3) Can you use wider tires than the standard 110 and 130 tyres? Tram tracks in Melbourne can be deadly for narrow tyres.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Paul,

Welcome to BurgmanUSA!

We don't get the 250 model here in the USA, but it is supposedly the same as the 400 model except for the engine. We do have other 250's (Honda Reflex, Honda Helix), so I think the answers to most of your questions are scattered around the forum if you search a bit. A few of our international members have also posted some info specific to the Burgman 250.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I owned the 250 Honda Helix for 5 years and it would travel at 100 km/hr fairly easily. But it topped out at around 115. I believe a 250 will do what you want but may not have the acceleration you might need at highway speeds.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Arby said:
I owned the 250 Honda Helix for 5 years and it would travel at 100 km/hr fairly easily. But it topped out at around 115. I believe a 250 will do what you want but may not have the acceleration you might need at highway speeds.
Geez! I did a double take, because 115 mph is the fastest I've had my AN650 up to. Then I realized you are talking kph....

They've got a pretty new Yellow Helix down at the dealership - I was almost ready to run down and buy that puppy...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hi Paul

Good news. I believe that the AN250 is designed precisely for your needs. Don't hesitate. The Majesty 250 is the absolute top seller of all the 250 big-scooters in Japan, so it cannot be described as a dud (when properly prepped) either. Regarding the AN250:

1. SCREEN
Bare in mind that the 250/400/unlimted cc world scooter market is centred in Japan, so naturally as most sales are made there the standard screens are designed from users up to about 5ft9ins or so. The taller non-Japanese among us must either put up with the 'wind in the hair' or more precisely wind in the neck - this goes for the Reflex, Silverwing 600, AN250/400 and AN650. It is an unescapable situation. if you are a 6 footer and want wind directed onto the top of your helmet at 100km/h you'll need to fit an after market screen to any big scooter.

However, it cannot be described as uncomfortable and can be compared to Goldwings in comformt terms. That can't be said about any other 250, can it?

2. USE: 55km each way at 100km/h with congestion at tail end
i. The natural home of the AN250 - it will cruise happily at 100, and top out at over 120. My Reflex 250 (called the 'Forza' over here) will top out at 140km/h.
ii. And at the far end it'll glide through gaps, handle stop n starts easliy, and get you to the office without breaking a sweat.
iii. Very cheap on petrol, and has almost identical underseat storage carrying capacity as the AN650 at 55litres (versus 56litres).
iv. Combined brakes means that if you do find yourslef having to brake hard in the rain, or over a patch of oil/diesel you'll have the brake forced balanced between the front and rear tyre for more secure braking with less chance of locking up.

3. TYRES:
Standard tyres are Bridgestone Hoop or Michelin Pilot Sport for scooters. I think you can probably squeeze a 140 on the back but I wouldn't consider it for a moment. Keep these essentials standard, and keep your eyes open for those tram tracks...

Buying the AN250 shall not be a mistake. Good luck. Lycheed

·
Registered
733 Posts
connolly_p,

Just in case you didn't read this here is the link ...

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

And

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Also belt vibration returns with softer shock setting and 1 up driving, must just be the way it is ... need load to work well ...

Driving 2 up with shock on max adjust it's takes all the vibration away, but it returns about 3-4 days later after returning to softer setting and 1 up driving ...

Also shock adjustment is under the scooter behind plastic door and you need the spanner supplied to adjust it ... pain in the you know what !!

Also rear tyre pressure 1 up 29psi, 2 up 41 psi, you need to set to this pressure and shock setting max for 2 up otherwise handling is sloppy

All sound bad but it isn't really, I ride mostly 1 up to and from work so most of the time it OK

Any other info let me know

Greg ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'll certainly be trying to acquire the one the dealer has. They have promised to "look after me" because of what they did to the Yamaha, so we'll see...

I wasn't suggesting the Yamaha was a dud - it was comfortable, did 130km/hr (when it contained oil...), and I averaged 3.7l/100km (about 76 miles per imperial gallon, or 64 in US measurements). Only problems I found with it were it was a little cramped, and, like the rest of the Maxis needed a taller screen for me if going above about 90km/hr. It also tended to dive into corners a little - something you quickly adjust to anyway. The reason I don't want it back is because of the potential for more problems down the track because it ran for a while with no oil.

Unfortunately, in the last part of where I ride to work, tram tracks are everywhere. No issue in the dry, but when wet, crossing them at relatively slight angles is unavoidable (larger angles don't cause a problem). I've resorted to crossing them at very low speeds when this can't be avoided (about walking pace), and haven't lost it yet. I'll just stick to the commonsense approach for now then.

Thanks again,

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts