Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thinking about selling Putterbug. I need to talk to Billy about it more but I think it is for the best. I love it and it is a great bike however I am still yearning for a 650. Sat on a silverwing today, if it was more appealing to me, I would have tried to get it.

I might sell the 400 and just put it in savings for while until I can save up some more and then track down a 650.

So, am I crazy?

BTW, everyone in my SCRC chapter was really impressed by it today on the ride. I dusted a Valkyre at the stop sign take off. At the next stop he was oohing and ahhing. :D I had to show off to at least one person. :wink:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Nancy,

You're not crazy if the Burgman 650 is what you really want. In my opinion, both the 400 and 650s are great bikes. It's only a matter of personal preference and as to which you should own.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Just make_sure_ that it's what you _really_ want. If so, and if you can afford it, why not? But be _very_ careful . The grass is always greener, you know, and you're going to take one heck of a hit in depreciation.

Sometimes, the excitement of something new and diferent blinds us to what we already have. In my view, you have to figure out how many thousand dollars difference there is, and ask yourself "Am I _this many_ dollars worth of unhappy with what I already have?"

I've been a "car guy" for years before discovering scoots. You would not beleive how many folks I've seen trade sports and muscle cars back and forth in a frenzy, chasing after something they imagine is just a tiny bit better than what they have in one aspect or another, until they end up right back at square one with what they had to start with. But _much_ further in debt. And, with luck, a little wiser.

There _is_ no perfect ride, without flaws and perfect for all uses, whether one is talking bikes or cages. The trick is finding the package of strengths and shortcomings that suits you personally the best, and then sticking with it for the long term.

I'll also point out that you probably might as well keep the 400 while saving the extra bucks; it's not going to depreciate all that much more from being ridden, so you may as well pay the tiny bit more and enjoy it in the meantime. The _big_ financial loss came when you rode it off the dealer's lot...

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Actually I think Pinwheel bought Putterbug used, so the depreciation hit might not apply at all. But I'd still recommend keeping Putterbug until you have saved up enough to get the 650 when you sell the 400. Otherwise, you'll miss out out some good riding.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nancy, Ride it a while longer before you do anything. I think the 400 is a great bike and the 650 may be more than you bargined for in handling.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I bought the bike "pre-loved" so not worried about depreciation. Blue Book value here is still good. I rode the Volusia yesterday and I sure miss the larger bike. Now if the Volusia was automatic and had a different sitting position I'd still be on it.
I've put 960 miles on the Putterbug and I think it's a great scoot but I think I really need something bigger just because it's what I prefer. The added weight and handling wouldn't really bother me since the Volusia's weight is more and I never had trouble with it - it just killed my back.

Selling Putterbug, I'd put the money in a CD to keep someone from buying chrome :wink: and hopefully in April/May the dealers around here will have a 650. The local dealer said last week of March or Mid-April til they get one. Heck Putter might not even sell for a while. And I still have a motorcycle I can ride so I won't miss any ride time.

It's just a thought process right now. But I really feel it's what I want to do. If I could get financed, I'd just trade it but I could only I wouldn't get as much on a trade.

I don't know................ :|

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I hadn't considered that Putterbug might have been pre-loved; around here, Burgman's (Burgmen?) are so hard to find, period, that I looked for months for a used one at a reasonable price somewhere halfway close to home before giving up and buying new. Therefore, I tend to forget that conditions may differ elsewhere. Sorry! Still, though, I'd make darned certain about what I wanted before letting her go, just on general principles.

I don't know about other states, but here in Tennessee you lose almost ten percent of a vehicle's value in taxes alone if you don't trade in or sell your old machine at very nearly the same time that you buy the new. (I'm not sure of the legal details because different folks, some of them in responsible positions, have recently told me different things. I got in such a big fight over this last time around that I darned near bought my 400 out-of-state just so the rules would be clearer.) You might therefore want to look at your local sales tax and vehicle registration rules as well before making any moves.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Nancy ;
I think it would be a mistake, but that's me.... If your not happy with the lack of power, or just have an itch you got to scratch then do it. I guess they work the taxes were you are like they do here so that's no problem, and you kind of sound like don't want to keep it while waiting for the next bike, so put it on the market and hold out for the best price.
Bottom line --there's only one person who has to be happy-- Besides if it turns out it's a mistake it can be undone which is better then living with not having ever tried.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Nancy

I am really suprised. I would have thought the 400 would have kept you ridin and happy for a season at least! :)

No option tho' -

If you are yearning more power
then power it will have to be
so go buy a Lardy
Fiddly dee.

I would have thought you will have no problem selling the 400 - as long as you haul it back to FL!! :) :lol: :lol: :lol: :)

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Nancy,

I bought the 650 for the very reasons you are giving for wanting one. Well, I also really liked the dual front brakes, the size of the mirrors, and the turn signals built into the mirror housing. Considered those important safety features. I don't think you will regret the 650 purchase. It has a nice reserve of power for defensive manuevering. :wink:

If you can find a good used one, that is the way I would recommend. I can see where the OD would be nice, but the 650 doesn't sound all wound up like some smaller cars (and bikes) do when going 70+mph. Around here, going 75+ during rush hour (against traffic) is not unusual. I feel very comfortable having the reserve "juice" for when/if I need it.

Any consideration to selling the Volusia and the 400 to pay for the 650 or is that a sensitive topic in your house?

Best of luck in your decision making process!

Madonna

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
madonna said:
Nancy,
--snipped---

Any consideration to selling the Volusia and the 400 to pay for the 650 or is that a sensitive topic in your house?

Madonna
The Volusia is Billy's bike-he his sold the other one to get the 400. He will sell the Volusia in 2 years when it's paid off and get a Nomad.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lapine Rider -- I'm not real sure how the taxes and stuff work, I know I could sell it myself and get more money than what the dealers around here would give on a trade. One dealer about 75 miles away gives SCRC discount and does not charge us for the dealer prep and all that.

Randy -- I like it. It does great however I really feel I need the larger one. At the Suzuki/Yamaha dealer I sat on several bikes and the added weight felt better to me.

Norm--it's riding season here all year round. :wink: I've put over 900 miles on it and that's more than I put on the Volusia in the same amount of time. The trip to Florida was worth it. I have been able to ride at least. And will continue to ride the 400 until I sell it or change my mind.

If it sells before I'm ready to buy then the money will just go into savings and I'll have to deal with it if that happens. The only 650 around here used has too many miles on it for my liking. Found a price of 6800 in Alabama. Closer than Florida.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Good luck in _any_ event, Pinwheel. The very first thing I said in my first post on this subject was that if you could afford the swap and it would make you happy, there was no reason why not. Making yourself unhappy to save a few dimes you could afford to spend is poor economics, in my book.

Besides, I really enjoy your posts! :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
That's exactly why I started with a 650 rather than a 400... because I know me! Never looked back or regretted getting a 650 for a sec!

Best advice: there's people who start with a 650 and find its too much bike for them and want to trade down to a 400. If you could find someone like that it'd be perfect for you!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have to agree with NY Bubba (Oh MYGawd!!! I'm agreeing with a Yankee!!) But then, you gotta do what you gotta do. As a thought though, keep riding the 400 and save toward the 650. I'd hate to see you in a situation where you give up the 400 then s**t happens (doesn't it always?) and you have no ride at all.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bummer---

So I decide to keep the Putterbug and not worry about a 650 due to cost issues and maybe next year the Executive model "may" be over here.
Well, my truck is acting up again(I think I bought a piece of junk) and to trade it off we need more down that what we have. Billy said to sell Putterbug and what we don't need for the new truck put in savings and maybe next summer I can get a 650.

I guess once I get enough saved up again I can see if someone from here is selling. I hope.

So if I sell the Putterbug I'll have to live through y'all stories for a few months. I may just buy another 400 and be happy that I have something I can ride.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Listen, I keep justifying my 400 purchase, but you all are making it really REALLY difficult for me to keep the 400. Keep this talk up and I might have to move up a Lardy.

Seriously, if I can get my wife to ride the svelte rather than her Aprilia, I will be riding a 650.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I didn't need a new vehicle I wouldn't be selling my 400 right now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts